One man, one moto, the True Adventure!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XR Valdeez, Jan 8, 2018.

1. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its been real good so far! Looking forward to more!
    95Monster likes this.
  2. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Taltal! Made it here today from Antofagasta. But we gotta back up a bit to where we left off.

I met up with Arjan on the highway heading into Antofagsta. We rolled in around lunch time, had a bit then decided to find a place to stay. I had heard a bad noise coming from Arjan's chain and I mentioned It to him. After a quick look, We saw that his chain was missing a roller! He had new sprockets with him, so all he needed was a chain. Should be easy..

We headed to one place but they don't rent to travelers anymore. The guy there said a place around the corner did, so we headed over and met Hernann. He rides a Harley and has a hostel with good secure parking! Sold! The place is also very near a mechanic shop. Arjan will go into more detail on this over on his thread.

The next day, his bike was on the rack and getting a new chain and sprockets installed!

[​IMG]

The guys at BTS in Antofagasta are the best! They specialize in BMW, but they'll work on anything!

[​IMG]

We ended up hanging around in Antofagasta another day so we could get an earlier start to Taltal, our next destination. We tried to get Arjan a new pair of sandals as his are about to fall off his feet. I was amused as we went to at least 20 shoe places looking for size 15's! He was not amused.....

Today, we headed out to Taltal, but first a stop to the Mano del Desierto!

[​IMG]

After that we took a less travelled route out to the coast, where I proceeded to get a flat rear tire! FOOK! I pulled over and got busy getting things going. Arjan had ridden on ahead. By the time he returned, I already had the wheel off, bead broken and was getting ready to take the old tube out.

All in all, it took about an hour by the time I had everything packed back up and ready to go. Not too bad if I do say so, and I did it by myself.

Here's some of the Atacama Desert on our way to the coast! Very, very barren!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we followed the coast south, there were a few more plants here and there than we had seen in a bit. By the time we got down past Paposo, there were cactus and other things growing.

[​IMG]

Our road was a hard packed, dirt road treated with a surfactant to keep dust down. Seems like they're getting read to pave this, which will become the northern connection of Route #1.

[​IMG]

After Paposo, Arjan started looking for a camp spot while I rode to Taltal and found a place to stay and checked in. I don't feel like setting my hammock up on the ground at this time, maybe further down the road.

Here's my view!

[​IMG]

Well, that does it for this short update. I'm not sure where we'll be going tomorrow, we still need to figure that out.

Thanks for coming along on the ride!

Until next time, keep those tire irons handy!

Esteban!
  3. baja1kwinner

baja1kwinner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great BBQ in Chile & Argentina.......weather getting COLD in Idaho...soon the White Stuff arrives. stay safe....bc
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  4. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from La Serena! Made it here today from Huasco. So let's back it up a bit!

We left Caldera with plans for going to Huasco where Arjan was going to camp and I was going into town for the night. Once we got out of town, the road went to this hard packed surface. It was easy riding except for the part near the beach. The road there was a red clay and got pretty slick in places. Once away from the beach, it got dry and hard. Here's looking south.....

[​IMG]

And here's looking north.....

[​IMG]

We stopped by this roadside memorial for a break. This guy I'm guessing, crashed here back in January of 2017. This is one of the more elaborate memorials we have seen. They come in all shapes and sizes.

[​IMG]

The road, for the most part is good. We get detoured because of construction a couple of times, but overall we make good time. You can see that the desert is starting to get some plant life! This area reminded me of some of the coastal areas of Baja

[​IMG]

The road finally turned to pavement and the sun was out! We stopped in Carrizal Bajo and had lunch and a nice break. We got rolling again until about 12 miles north of Huasco, where Arjan turned off to find a camp site and I headed further south into town. We both got settled, let each other know the others whereabouts and did our own thing.

[​IMG]

In the morning, we met up and did the 150 mile ride into La Serena, where we will probably spend a couple days. We're looking at going to Pisco Elqui for a couple of days maybe. It's the region that pisco is made and is supposed to be pretty cool!

Sorry for the lack of pictures with this update. To be honest, there hasn't been a ton of really cool stuff to photo in the last couple of days. The country is definitely getting more vegetation though, so things are looking up!

Thanks for coming along on the adventure!

Until next time, GO KEVIN HARVICK! :thumbup

Esteban!
  5. motorcity734

motorcity734 STANLEY CUP

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve, I am enjoying your adventure and details from the tour guide in you :rofl
    Yes, Kevin Harvick won the Texas race. He pulled off a couple of passes on restarts on the last couple of laps. Go Kevin and FORD !!!!!!!!! :clap:photog
  6. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    NICE!! Glad to hear Kevin won! I hear that Clint Bowyer had a tough day, dammit...… I'm hoping I get to order a #4 NASCAR Champion hat when I get home! :wings
  7. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Los Vilos!

We met up in Huasco and headed down the road to La Serena for a couple of days. We have a Airbnb reserved starting on the 10th in Santiago so we need to burn a little time until then.

We pulled into La Serena and started the hotel game. We thought we had one picked out on I-Overlander but when we arrived, there was a not on the gate that they were full. We checked the surrounding 4 or 5 places and all were full. Turns out there was a religious festival and national holiday going on. We ended up finding a place across from a full one that had a nice room and was very quiet.

The next day we headed out to see the town and visit the anthropological museum. We got to the museum only to find out it was being renovated and almost nothing was on display! Just our luck. We wandered around for a bit to see what La Serena looked like.

Here's the Plaza de Armas…..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We saw a building on the Plaza and went over to see what it was. Turns out it's the house of one of their presidents that has been turned into a museum, and it was actually open!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turns out this president banned the communist party and had a lot to do with building the Pan American Highway through Chile!

[​IMG]

We hung out the rest of the day. The next day we rode into the Elqui Valley to go tour a Pisco distillery. We passed by a lake on the way into the valley. Unlike most of California's reservoirs, this one was full!

[​IMG]

We toured the Capel Distillery. Here's some of the old stills that were used many years ago. Today, this location is used for bottling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The process used for making Pisco, other that the wine fermentation part, is vary similar to other types of distilled spirits. The product tastes a little sweet. They use new American white oak barrels and French barrels to age some of what they make. The less aged is used for mixing Pisco drinks. The very aged Pisco is for drinking by itself!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The alcohol smell in this storage room of 5000 barrels was VERY strong! That's why we're smiling! :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG] .

The next day, we both decided to move on and head south. Arjan was good to camp again, and I picked a town a bit down the coast. I headed out in the morning and rode an inland route for a bit.

It was warm and things were getting greener!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I hit the Pan American highway, also numbered 5 like in the states, the wind got bad! I pushed the head wind for a bit then took a lunch break here. :dukegirl

For 4000 CLP I got some fried chicken and salad! Pretty much the usual at truck stops. One thing good is that they serve you very quickly!

[​IMG]

I rode on for a bit farther and took a break at an overlook. Nice scenery...…...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode south for about another hour before reaching Los Vilos where I gassed up, found a place and settled in!

[​IMG]

Turns out that the wind was so bad, Arjan ended up here later in the day. He said that the wind was almost pushing his bike off the side stand!

We'll be here a day or two before heading south again.

Thanks for coming along!

Until next time!

Esteban!
  8. Meatloaf

Meatloaf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the countryside. Take out the ocean and it's reminiscent of northern Arizona.
    Stay safe!
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  9. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Ya, it's kinda nice compared to the the barren country we have seen for a bit! As we get closer to parallels to those of the States, the terrain looks a little more familiar.... I do wish the Atacama was closer to home because there's LOTS of area and old structures to explore !!
    powderzone likes this.
  10. Rennis

Rennis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very Cool! I look forward to some pisco sours when you get home :rayof
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  11. motorcity734

motorcity734 STANLEY CUP

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve FYI : NASCAR Harvick was penalized 40 pts for an illegal spoiler and will not have an automatic in for Miami for his win. He will have to race his way in to the final four !!!!!
  12. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Ya, I saw that! Dammit all! He runs good at Phoenix, we'll just have to see....
  13. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Valparaiso!

I left Los Vilos on Wednesday and headed for Valparaiso. I had great weather and roads. The one bad thing, the friggin' tolls were a bit much! Motos aren't free here!

I did a real long tunnel on my way in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had lunch in Concon…..

[​IMG]

I found my hotel and settled in. The next day I went to the ISDE pit area which was just down the street from where I was staying. I found the American team all set up!

[​IMG]

Here's the bikes of our Trophy Team!

[​IMG]

Then I saw some familiar faces! Destry Abbott!

[​IMG]

And Kendall Norman! It was cool to see a couple of GO FAST desert guys on the team! Good luck to both of you! Go team U.S.A.

[​IMG]

Today we did the maritime museum near where we are staying which was pretty cool.

Tomorrow we head to Santiago for a few days while I get my bike turned in for a valve check, oil change and a new set of tires! Arjan's going to do an oil change, then wait on his buddy to arrive from New Zealand on Wednesday. After that, we'll be heading south!

That's it for this update! Thanks for coming along!

Until next time, GO TEAM U.S.A. !!

Esteban!
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    do the tolls show up on your gps app?
  15. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Just the locations, not the amounts.
  16. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Cool you got into the pits

but you'd probably be cooler if you were on a KTM 950/990 :imaposer

you know I had to say that LOL
    The_Scottsman and Ltbrkm3 like this.
  17. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's very cool hanging out with our riders....great job esteban.
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  18. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    You're a funny guy there..... used to have Nine Fiddy, but i fixed that! :rofl
    Ltbrkm3, MrKiwi and goodcat like this.
  19. Thomas B.

Thomas B. desert racer

Oddometer:
    Hey Esteban,
    We are hanging around in Santiago till next Tuesday.

Fancy a coffee or beer in Downtown some day?

We are Sandra and Thomas from "We are gone…." in here (Ajran- was that his name- nows my RR)

Just let us know.
    Cheers Thomas
    roadcapDen and XR Valdeez like this.
  20. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Would love to! We're here till next Thursday! I'll p.m. u my WhatsApp #!