One man, one moto, the True Adventure!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XR Valdeez, Jan 8, 2018.

1. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello from Santiago! Made it in yesterday afternoon from Valparaiso! First thing we did was to drop off Big Red at the dealer for the service. We headed to our Airbnb, checked in, did some laundry and relaxed.

A short time later, Gonzalo, whom I met in Cusco, got a hold of us and stopped by. He took us out for a tour of the town and dinner. Our first stop was the Costanera Center which is this VERY tall glass tower building. We went up to the observation deck for an overview of the city. How Cool was this!

[​IMG]

Gonzalo says there are about 5 million people living here and the city is spread out over a large area similar to Los Angeles. When we rode into town, the traffic was good and we sailed right in! We were both surprised how easy it was after hearing the traffic would be a nightmare. Most of our way in, we were underground on the Autopista Costanera Norte! Pretty cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top of the tower is lit up in blue!

[​IMG]

After the tower and a little driving around, Gonzalo took us to dinner to finish off the night! Turns out he's a mechanical engineer and works in Calama at the copper mine. He runs a group responsible for the autonomous vehicles used at the mine. He has a 1200 GS he has ridden all over down here and he has given us the suggested route for our way to Ushuaia! Gotta love how the motorcycle community sticks together and helps each other out! We can't thank Gonzalo enough! :beer

[​IMG]

A last shot I took in the ISDE pits.... Ride Red or be Dead! :D :ricky

I checked out this 2018 AT-AS. Seemed a bit bigger than my AT. Going to stick with Big Red!

[​IMG]

So, we're going to be here for a few days! I messaged @Thomas B. yesterday and we all are going to meet up this afternoon for a cold one! I'll be sure to get a pic of two! I think Arjan is outside doing an oil change on his bike. I better go supervise!

Thanks for coming along and hanging in there!

Until next time, keep the oil spill response number handy! :jack

Esteban!
  2. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more

Oddometer:
    Re-caught up! Great RR Esteban! Thanks for taking the time. Particularly enjoyed the Coin making tour. I may not chime in much, but do know I'm following you along your journey and I appreciate the effort to take us along with you. Hey, that Mosko bag on your seat - is that the 40L Duffle Pack? Do you like it? Too big, too small? Do you like the two side openings?
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  3. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hey M&T! Yep, bag is the 40l. If i had to do it again, i would get the 30l. Having the 40, u get the desire to fill it up with crap you probably don't need! Having both ends open is cool and handy and the waterproofness has been awesome! Thanks for following along!
    Meatn'taters likes this.
  4. motorcity734

motorcity734 STANLEY CUP

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve
    I caught parts of the Phoenix race. Logano, Kyle Bush, Truex and Harvick made the cut, no Chevys. A lot of crashes by nim rods who were just cruising and taking out playoff cars. I think NASCAR was trying to avoid an all Ford in the top 4 when they penalized Harvick. NASCAR wanted a Hendricks car in but top 4. Anyway Harvick should have the field covered at Miami and win another Championship. :clap:imaposer
    Great pics and commentary as usual, be careful in the big city :hide
    Winter has set in here in Michigan forecast tonight 2 - 4" of snow high of 30 degrees :( :photog
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  5. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Well I'm glad there are no Chevy's in the final four! I'll be watching the race from somewhere I hope! Sorry to hear about the cold weather there! :vardy . You oughtta move somewhere a little warmer my friend! Thanks for the NASCAR updates!
  6. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Still in Santiago! I went to the Honda dealer today with some new rubber I bought. I decided to go with the Heidenau K-60 Scouts as the next set. I still had miles left on the TKC-70 rear and Dunlop front, but with some more off-road coming, I wanted a fresh set that could last me to Buenos Aires. :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

I dropped the tires off and set off back to the hotel when the dealership tells me I need new rear wheel bearings. FOOK! Ok, I tell them, I have them with me and I will be right (2hrs on the bus roundtrip) back with them. Upon returning to the shop, my technician, Johnny, tells me the bike is done. I ask him what about the bearings and he says he was told I wanted them replaced. He was confused a bit because the ones on the bike were fine. O.K., something was lost in translation somewhere, no worries! In the end, Big Red was good to go. They did put a new set of front pads I had in, but other than that, oil changed, valves were good and the chain was cleaned. Since it was raining, I told them I would be by in the morning to pick it up. Didn't want to chance brand new tires on wet pavement! :smile6

Here's an outside view of the tower we went up in with Gonzalo the other night!

[​IMG]

And, as promised, here's @Thomas B. Sandra and company out for a few cold ones! :beer

[​IMG]

We might get together again tomorrow for another round of "de-briefing" and such!

Well, that about does it for this small installment....

Until next time, keep ur rain galoshes handy, cuz it's POURING here! :bluduh

Esteban!
  7. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple shots of when we were walking around the Plaza de Armas here in Santiago. Don't know why I forgot these in the earlier post.....

That's the main cathedral here in Santiago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very lively place on Sunday!

[​IMG]

Oh, before I forget, here's the downpour yesterday. Arjan was walking in this on his way back from an appointment! :eekers

[​IMG]

Until next time...…

Esteban
  8. CzDavec

CzDavec Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man ,
    Loving the whole tour guide thing. Your pics and narrative are great !
    Too cool that you got to see Dusty Rabbit and Kendall !!!

Dave
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  9. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave! Ya, it was good to see those guys getting ready to ride the ISDE for the U.S. Hope they do good!
  10. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Santiago, again!

Arjan is currently over at the shop his buddy is picking the rental bike up at. When he got there, there was a puddle of clean oil on the ground directly under the rear shock! :yikes

Turns out someone didn't squeeze all the oil out of the air filter when they cleaned it! Dodged a bullet on that one!

Yesterday on the way to meet up with Thomas, Sandra and Tashiko, we decided to ride the teleferico and funicular on the way! As we started to go up the hill, the weather started to close in on us!

[​IMG]

We got lucky and it didn't rain on us at all! There was however quite a thunder and lightning show! Here's looking down to the bottom of the funicular....

[​IMG]

We had some time to burn before the meet, so we hit a couple of museums. The first was the Museo Violetta Parra, it didn't do anything for us. The next one was the Museo Benjamin Vicuna Mackenna, and it had to have been the smallest exhibit I have ever seen. About 5 minutes and we were done.. oh well, what are you going to do.....

We had another good de-briefing with everybody for a couple hours. Thomas and Sandra got their new tires and were leaving the next day (today) for a yet to be determined destination! Here's their BLOG

Here's Big Red's new shoes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we head south, probably to Talca..... We were thinking a camp night at another abandoned mining town called Sewel. Apparently they do not allow travelers up there unless you book a guided tour.... FOOK!

Well, that's about it for now. The next update should see us a bit south of here! Thanks for following along!

Until next time,

Esteban!
  11. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    new shoes.....sexy!! thanks for update!!
  12. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    Missed you again. Arrived Santiago Sunday. Shipped out Wednesday. Enjoy Carrera Austral.
  13. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Villarica!

Well, as always, I gotta back up the bus and get back to where we left off, Santiago.....

On Wednesday, Arjan's buddy Greg flew in from New Zealand to ride with us for a couple weeks. Upon his arrival, we opened a bottle of Chilean wine that our friend Gonzalo brought by, and relaxed...…

[​IMG]

Those that know me, know I am a beer guy, but this wine was VERY good! Here's the three of us with the lady of the house, Luna!

[​IMG]

We were moving a bit slow the next morning and didn't get rolling till a little after 1030. We were on the Pan American Highway all day as we made our way to Talca. We found a hotel after a bit of looking and checked in. While we were relaxing, Thomas and Sandra messaged me to see if we were in Talco and if our hotel had room for them, which it did! A short time later, we heard a couple of moto's out front!

[​IMG]

The parking lot looking like a proper ADV motorcycle parking lot!

[​IMG]

We had a great time again with Thomas and Sandra. We went out for dinner, came back had a couple drinks and called it a night. The next morning we all had breakfast and got ready to go our separate ways. Did you know that KTM LC-4's come with an automatic, remote starter? This is Sandra's bike getting started… In all fairness, Thomas starts both bikes in the mornings because the starters are not working that well, but parts are on the way! I didn't know that the LC-4 had the kick starter on the left side either. Thomas was a good sport and got both bikes running fairly quickly!

[​IMG]

And off they go! Hopefully we'll meet up again somewhere down the road! Cheers @Thomas B. and Sandra! Buen Ruta!

[​IMG]

We got rolling a short time later and stopped for lunch in Chillen! We pulled into the center of town and had a bite. Soon, we were the center of attention and talking to lot's of locals about our trip! Greg was having a good time being the Star!

[​IMG]

We ended up in Los Angeles for the night. We found a pretty decent place and Arjan was all excited because he got us half off the rate! It started to rain around 2000 hrs. and kept raining until about 0300. In the morning, we were greeted to beautiful sunny skies, cool temps and a light breeze for our ride to Villarica! We had an o.k. lunch in Temuco, then finally got off the Pan American and headed to Villarica!

[​IMG]

But, as luck would have it, as we were leaving Temuco, the skies opened up on us! I asked Arjan if he was going to put his power rangers suit on before we left, but he said no. So, we got wet! here's a shot you haven't seen in awhile!

[​IMG]

Greg and I somewhat patiently waiting for Arjan to get dressed......

[​IMG]

When we arrived in Villarica, we were greeted to blue skies and awesome views! So awesome, we have decided to stay here a couple of days!

[​IMG]

Well, that about does it! We didn't have very reliable wifi the last couple days, so I apologize for the lack of communication!

Until next time, GO KEVIN HARVICK AND THE #4 BUSCH/JIMMIE JOHNS FORS FUSION!!!!

Esteban!
  14. motorcity734

motorcity734 STANLEY CUP

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve
    How many miles have you traveled so far !!! As usual great pics and commentary, trip of a lifetime!!!!!!!!!!
    FTI : Word around the campfire is that Harvick has used the illegal rear spoiler since Texas. The reason the spoiler is illegal, not purchased from the approved NASCAR supplier. That is a pretty lame excuse! Typical NASCAR. Another team is closing after Miami, Front Row Racing, Martin Truex Jr and Lowes is leaving Jimmy Johnson and NASCAR. Ratings are down 26% this season. My sources Assc. press.
    Later
  15. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul! So far, about 18,000 miles with a few more to go! Ya, I saw SHR wasn't going to appeal the violation. I watched the final race when I was in Villarrica. I'm glad Ford got their win, but I wasn't happy about the winner! Oh well, there's always next season!

We just got into Argentina and I'm sorting out the phone and money thing then a BIG update!

Thanks for following along!
    forgorin and dano619 like this.
  16. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Greetings country #13, Argentina! But let's back this up a bit!

After arriving in Villarrica, we decided to not do a restaurant for dinner and would cook our own. Greg was fired up to do a Thai dish, so we set off to the market, picked up the essentials, and the food we would need!

Here's the happy chef hard at it!

[​IMG]

After dinner we relaxed on the deck with a couple of drinks and took in the view!

[​IMG]

The next day we rode to Pucon for lunch and to help seat the new rear brake rotor Arjan had installed and so Greg could check the electrical issue he had had been solved. It was a beautiful day for a ride and when we returned, later that evening, the Volcan Villarrica decided to show itself to us!

[​IMG]

Pretty cool!

[​IMG]

The next day it was off to Puerto Fuy and the ferry we would have to take across Lago Pirehueico. We rode the Ruta de los Siete Lagos after being turned around on the dirt road we originally wanted to take. Here's a couple of the lakes in the area on our way to the ferry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ended up arriving in Puerto Fuy much earlier than we anticipated. We figured we had enough time to catch the 1300 hr. ferry. They lined us up in the "space available" line and we grabbed a quick bite while we waited for the boat to arrive. Around 1230, the boat arrived and there would be room for us, so we got in the line for loading. Here's our ride across the lake.....

[​IMG]

Almost on board!

[​IMG]

All loaded up and headed out! This was Big Red's 4th boat ride! Getting good at this.

[​IMG]

A few shots of our trip down Lago Pirehueico!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we pulled into Puerto Pirehueico, we saw this ruin on the shore. Once on land again, we looked for a place to stay. For some reason, our Spanish was not understood at the one place that was on I-Overlander and we were turned away. After looking at a couple other pretty expensive options, we returned to the first place. With the help from another traveler, we were able to secure accommodations, but not a meal. Then, a short time later, another lady, Maria, that worked there said she could cook us a meal, but after 2000 hrs. Ok with us! We're in! We decided to walk down the beach to the ruins we had seen when we arrived.

[​IMG]

Seems this place was built in 1943 and opened in 1947. Sometime later it fell into bankruptcy and was bought by a family that lived there until 1996, when it burned to the ground. While we were there, we noticed some cleanup going on and some of the old basement rooms were being painted. Weird to say the least. Well, as it turns out, someone is going to use the old basement rooms as wine storage. Our best guess is that whoever this is, is going to open up a wine thing here.... One thing to note, there is no power in this settlement, only solar, generators and wood stoves! We were there during the low season and had the area to ourselves for the most part. The power was shut off at our place at 2300 hrs. and we all got a good night sleep!

[​IMG]

The next morning we woke up to cloudy skies, cool temps and a nice calm lake! Today would see us going into Argentina! We were all pretty excited, especially Greg as this would be his FIRST land border crossing!

[​IMG]

On our way to the border!

[​IMG]

Morning rush hour! Damn this traffic!

[​IMG]

Approaching the Chile side! Time to check out....

[​IMG]

It was probably the nicest border facility we have seen on our trip. We were all checked out in about 15 minutes! Easy....

[​IMG]

On the road to.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah! Country #13!

[​IMG]

Welcome to Argentina! We were all checked in in about 20 minutes! Very straightforward and simple!

[​IMG]

Our first views inside our new country! Very beautiful!

[​IMG]

It was a nice dirt road all the way from Puerto Pirehueico, across the border and to San Martin de los Andes, our final destination for the day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We pulled into town, played the hotel game very briefly before finding a nice hostel with good parking and nice rooms! We walked around town, changed some money, had a couple beers and a bite then sorted out our cell phones. So far we all like Argentina! The prices are better than Chile for the most part. Getting a new sim card was simple and only cost me $4 for 2 gig of data for a week! Not bad.

Later that night I headed out for dinner. I have heard that the Parilla here in Argentina is not to be missed! More on that later!

We looked at the forecast and saw that heavy rain was forecast for the next day, so we have decided to hunker down here until it passes.....

Thanks for following along on the adventure! More to follow!

Until next time,

Esteban
  17. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a stranger rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    LOL, Just last night I put that route down for my own crossing between Argentina and Chile, but going the other way, in just over a year from now.

I really appreciate both yours and @Normlas reports. They have been very entertaining and helpful for my planning.
    powderzone, Normlas and XR Valdeez like this.
  18. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    So, I took off for dinner and found Parrilla Patagonia Piscis. I arrived just after hey opened at 2000 hrs. was seated, which was lucky, because just a few moments later, there was not an empty table. I ordered the lomo and potatoes and was not disappointed. All of this for $22!

[​IMG]

Here's the business end of the operation! You can almost smell it......

[​IMG]

I might just go back tonight!

Until next time, keep your steak knife handy!

Esteban!
  19. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Glad you're enjoying it! There'll be much more to come as we criss-cross between Chile and Argentina on the way to Ushuaia!
    The_Scottsman likes this.
  20. GoDoMore

GoDoMore life in the fast lane...full speed ahead

Oddometer:
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING
    Meatn'taters likes this.