One man, one moto, the True Adventure!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XR Valdeez, Jan 8, 2018.

1. motorcity734

motorcity734 STANLEY CUP

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve
    Awesome pics, beautiful country and the marble caves for me were spectacular because of the water. Some of the caves look very similar to pictured rocks and Turnip rock in Lake Huron. Just a work of natural art. I Thank You for the privilege of sharing your adventure :eyes Thanks for the pics and your commentary :norton

I am just catching up. Ronni and I were in the Rocky Mountains hiking, skiing and visiting with Mark and Amanda. Andrew came in from New York for Thanksgiving. We spent one night in Woodland Park, visiting with Barb and Leonard. We stopped one evening at the shop and after 5 let the drinking begin, what a night!!!:photogI was telling Leonard and Barb about your trip, they asked my to say Hey.:clap Be safe Steve and will talk next time :-)
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  2. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo SONS OF ARTHRITIS - IBUPROFEN CHAPTER

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Thanks for sharing. Only 50 pages to catch up.
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  3. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, El Chalten is in the loop! As a matter of fact, we are making plan for that as we speak! :thumbup
    Misery Goat likes this.
  4. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul! Tell Leonard, who built our engines for our race truck, I said HI! He really knows his stuff and we have a lot of race wins with his engines! :thumb
  5. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello all from Cochrane! We have survived the Carretera Austral and had a great time!

We left Cochrane a bit early and headed to Puerto Yungay to catch the ferry to Rio Bravo, but not the Rio Bravo in Texas!

This would be my first "start in the dirt, finish in the dirt" day on the ride! We would see some really spectacular scenery and had a really god ride!

Here we are at Puerto Yungay waiting on the ferry! Unfortunately for us, the cafeteria was closed!

[​IMG]

Here's our ride to Rio Bravo!

[​IMG]

Underway to Rio Bravo!

[​IMG]

Pulling into Rio Bravo...

[​IMG]

They parked us in this hole on the ferry.

[​IMG]

On the way south, I saw this cascade of waterfalls!

[​IMG]

The dirt road to the end of the Carretera Austral!

[​IMG]

Pulling into Villa O'Higgins!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After checking into a hostel, we headed south to the end of the road!

[​IMG]

The happy threesome at the end of the Carretera Austral!

[​IMG]

Yours truly!

[​IMG]

The scenery as we went back to Villa O'Higgins...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sandra headed back into town!

[​IMG]

Thomas close behind!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrived back at our hostel, went shopping and had another great home cooked meal!

We got up early the next morning and found ice on our bike seats! Yikes! We had to be up early to make the ferry at 1100 hrs!

Thanks for coming along,

Until next time, keep your long johns handy!

Esteban!
    RedDogAlberta, NSFW, forgorin and 7 others like this.
  6. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    So, as you may have remembered, we woke up to ice on the seats! Yep, it was cold! We fired up the fireplace in our cabin, made breakfast and slowly got ready to go.

The air was still which made for good photos, but made for not so good riding...… I pulled over here to let Sandra and Thomas get a head a bit before I started again.. a good decision. It was absolutely amazing here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I got rolling again, I had clean air and a clear road, for a bit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to pull over here for a break and a photo op. Shortly after I took this photo, a guy on a BMW 1200 passed by me. I gave him a wave, he returned it, and went on. I got rolling and after a bit, started to catch him. As I closed the distance, we got to a straight section that was very smooth....

[​IMG]

Well, as I closed on him, I changed to the other side of the road and closed the gap. I slowly passed him, gave him a wave and pressed on. It was a clean pass, but you never know how someone will take it. When I pulled into the ferry staging area, I awaited his arrival..... He was the first of his group to pull in and he greeted me with a smile and a handshake! He was the lead rider of six, all on BMW's. I passed out stickers to all of them and as we got off the boat, most of their bikes had my stickers on them! They even gave us their information for when we get to where they are from in Argentina!

[​IMG]

Loading up for our return to Cochrane!

[​IMG]

More stunning scenery on our way North!

[​IMG]

We had already booked a place in Cochrane to forgo the hotel game when we returned! We checked in, went shopping, had another outstanding home cooked meal and called it a night!

Tomorrow, we cross back into Argentina at the southern most crossing from the Carretera Austral!

Thank you for coming along on the adventure! I greatly appreciate it!

Until next time,

Esteban!
  7. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    I have a late photo from Puyuhuapi, Chile that I took as I left town. Sorry for the late post but I thought it was kinda cool.....

[​IMG]

Thanks for coming along!
  8. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Awesome, it's a great place. Be sure to get pics of Fitzroy, if you're lucky it'll be clear. The glaciers there are worth hiking if you're into that.

Cochrane is great. You're in a neat part of the world. The tienda there is well stocked if I recall. :freaky

Cheering you on from the salt mines.
  9. Chaz1

Chaz1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great pics Steve, it really is beautiful down there. We are enjoying following your adventure.
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    steve. you lost one and now found 2. great seeing a few advriders who i follow all together in a ride.

keep them coming steve and happy to hear your AT has been very reliable. very interested since i have one too.
    XR Valdeez and dano619 like this.
  11. seezer

seezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from Mexico. 27 days 5800 miles. Full outback bags, air hawk seat, and Sargent backrest. Original suspension. Hrs in traffic jams, 7 hrs at 85 90 mph. Comfort I did not anticipate. Only missed out when I got premium gas. Yes I'm happy.
    NSFW and HiJincs like this.
  12. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Apologies for my tardiness once again.
    Although I'm not depressed to be home, I certainly am over stressed AGAIN !!! What a bunch o crap lol.

Fantastic pictures and glad to see you still rolling along and having a great time

Cheers my friend :freaky

Shawn
    dano619, XR Valdeez and MrKiwi like this.
  13. onlydad

onlydad n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, thank you for all your efforts, I appreciate your humor and envy your experience.
    Glenn
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  14. hvilla

hvilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along!! :clap :clap:lurk
  15. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello all from El Calafate! All is good, except for the wi fi..... FOOK!

I will endeavor to get an update done as soon as possible! Stoopid wee fee!
    95Monster and goodcat like this.
  16. Meatloaf

Meatloaf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A cold beer may not help but it sure as hell can’t hurt.
    Saludo
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  17. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a stranger rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Obvious first step in the troubleshooting process.
  18. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    :photog

Nice one bro :clap
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  19. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Ya, that store had it all! Chainsaws, hardware, beer and guns! Ya, they had some food too.... :lol3
    Misery Goat likes this.
  20. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Ok, I took @Meatloaf suggestion and had a beer or 5 and figured out my wi fi problem... hopefully.

Ok, so we left Cochrane a bit early and headed for the X-83, our road over to Argentina. We had partly cloudy skies, light wind and nice, cool temps.

[​IMG]

The valley leaving Cochrane!

[​IMG]

Some very beautiful country!

[​IMG]

72 k's to the border on a pretty good road. The scenery would continue to get better as we rode on.....

[​IMG]

Sandra stopping for a photo op

[​IMG]

Looking back west......

[​IMG]

Looking east, toward Argentina...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting close to the Chilean border station

[​IMG]
    @Thomas B. at speed

[​IMG]

And Mrs. B. close behind!

[​IMG]

The Chilean border station. We were all processed out in about 20 minutes! Friendly and efficient! As we left, the WIND became much stronger!

[​IMG]

The entrance to "no mans land" between the two countries. The Chilean Caribinero's told to go straight to the Argentinean side and NO detours. The road was all freshly laid pea gravel, which at first looked good, but it made the ride a bit of a chore.

[​IMG]

A little over 6 miles later, the pea gravel ended and we entered Argentina, again.

[​IMG]

A cool little outpost in the middle of nowhere. The guys here are on duty for 30 days, then get a whole 5 off. There was a crew there, but only one in uniform and he processed us all in, in about 20-30 minutes. Easy stuff, and back in Argentina!

[​IMG]

Beautiful, but VERY remote

[​IMG]

The countryside became more arid and the road was miserable washboard for 55 miles! At least with the strong wind, the dust was not a problem!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the lake we passed on our way to Ruta 40 and pavement

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it! We hung a right and headed south to our nights destination, Bajo Caracoles!

[​IMG]

We arrived kind of early, and decided we would just relax here for the rest of the day since all the washboard had took its toll on us! We had the place to ourselves and all slept pretty good even with the wind howling outside. In the morning, the wind had let up a bit, so we had breakfast and got rolling to our next nights stop over.

[​IMG]

Because I have 0 faith in the internet here, I'm going to break up these updates by days, so I hopefully will not lose too much!

Thanks for following along!

Until next time,

Esteban!