One man, one moto, the True Adventure!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XR Valdeez, Jan 8, 2018.

1. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello from Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina!

Gotta start where we left off so I don't go getting ahead of myself!

I had a real good New Years celebration with Thomas, Sandra, @Lostmike and his wife Meg! Sandra cooked up the leg o lamb and it was tatsy! We then proceeded to finish off our supply of beer just before midnight, ugh... Here's the crew just prior to running out!

[​IMG]

Well, the decision was made to go to town to be able to have a drink to welcome in the new year. That was all good, but the next day, no one was moving very fast. Seems like you can't just have one beer! We all hang out the next day and start getting ready for leaving on Wednesday. When that happens, Thomas, Sandra and I head out on our separate ways, them south, me north. Mike and Meg stayed behind because of his injured leg.

I decide to take RP-9, a dirt road over to Ruta 3, about 120 miles in all. It was fairly good going and there was almost no traffic! Here's the start.

[​IMG]

Lucky I left when I did, that big cloud over me got worse and as I looked behind, it was pouring! This is looking east!

[​IMG]

This is RP-2, looking south. The landscape was like this the entire way.

[​IMG]

This is the Santa Cruz River Valley. RP-9 follows this the entire way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me 4 hours to do the 120 miles. When I got to Ruta 3, I had a piece of pizza leftover from the night before. As I was eating, the rain started. I hopped on the bike and high tailed it into Puerto San Julian and grabbed the first place I saw, just as it started to hail! Oh, and look, another mirage on a stick!

[​IMG]

I was up early this morning to try and get ahead of the wind. On the road by 0800 ish….. I stopped in Tres Cerros for gas where I met two groups of Brazilians, one headed south, the other north. We exchanged stickers and I got rolling again.

[​IMG]

I stopped in Fitz Roy at this diner for a bite. Up to now, the wind was not bad at all. As a matter of fact, I was getting almost 60 mpg because I mostly had a tail wind today!

[​IMG]

This thing pulled in as I was eating. LOTS of money tied up in this. No thanks, not my way to travel......

[​IMG]

On the Ruta 3, south of Caleta Olivia. The scenery was getting a little better! At least there were some small hills!

[​IMG]

Saw this in Caleta Olivia. Yep, it's an oil town. Dirty and not very appealing

[​IMG]

I pulled into Comodoro Rivadavia around 1400. My battery has been turning over slower and slower, so I wanted to see if I could find a battery. Wouldn't you know, all the bike shops were closed. As luck would have it, there was a battery shop two blocks up from my hotel. I walked up, they had the thing in stock, so I returned with Big Red a minute later and swapped it out in their shop! I then asked about a barber and they pointed me across the street to this place!

Best damn haircut I've had on the trip! Oh, and while I was sitting in the chair, a pursuit in Los Angeles pops up on the t.v. Go figure!

[​IMG]

If you're ever in Comodoro Rivadavia, this is the place to get a haircut! Father and son shop!

[​IMG]

Well, that brings us up to date as of this afternoon. I'm going to go to a place called Camarones tomorrow! I cannot resist! Not much there, so this could be interesting!

That's about it for now.

Until next time, did someone say Camarones….

Esteban!
  2. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Camarones, Argentina!

I left Comodoro Rivadavia early today in case the wind was going to be bad.

Good morning Atlantic Ocean! Today was the first day in a long time I started with the vents on my jacket open! NICE! :thumbup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a couple of hours, I stopped for a snack and took a couple of pictures. It's more green than down south, but still pretty bleak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made it to town just a little after noon. Here's the sign greeting me! Hmm. :scratch

[​IMG]

Just a little neglected.

[​IMG]

Looking a little better....

[​IMG]

I rode through town to the coast/beach. Small town, but not too bad. I found a hotel, basic, but clean. I had lunch and walked around a bit.

[​IMG]

The beach on the north side of town

[​IMG]

San Martin Plaza

[​IMG]

A memorial to Captain General San Martin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No sand on these beaches!

[​IMG]

The beach filled up with townspeople during their 3 hour lunch break. The music started up on the loudspeaker and everyone was having a good time. As lunch ended, people headed back to work. Nice way to spend your lunch!

Tomorrow I'm headed north again. :ricky Need to get a little closer to Buenos Aires and sort out getting the bike cleaned up so I can drop it at the airport week after next.

That takes care of this short update, thanks for coming along on the ride!

Until next time!

Esteban!
    The_Scottsman, Saso, goodcat and 5 others like this.
  3. Meatloaf

Meatloaf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it my imagination or is your shadow getting wider at the hips?
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  4. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Nope, it's just the way the sun casts my shadow! It has nothing to do with all the good beer and barbeque I've been eating......:lol3
    goodcat likes this.
  5. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    In Las Grutas!

Hello from yet another new town on my way north.

I was awoken by the howling wind two days ago while I was in Camarones. I got up and looked outside and saw rain coming too, FOOK! I decided to skip what would have probably been another less than substantial breakfast and get going!

On the way out, I saw the town generator. This one runs 24 hours a day!

[​IMG]

Here's what was fast approaching! Time to go! I stopped and closed all my vents and put the rain cover on the tank bag and hit the road.

[​IMG]

About 20 miles down the road and it was looking a LOT better. I figured I'd keep covered and closed up till I got to Ruta 3.

[​IMG]

A look behind. Glad I'm not going that way. I also noticed the wind was coming from my left to my right. Hmm, I'll be making a right turn on Ruta 3. This might work. :raindance

[​IMG]

I stopped at this abandoned gas station and opened up. I think someone lives here, but it's all closed up and has been for some time.

[​IMG]

This was one of the first ones of these I have seen down here. You would think these would be everywhere! It's not like there's a lack of wind or anything. There's a whopping 7 windmills.

[​IMG]

Overlooking Puerto Madryn. I pulled into town and tried to go to the hostel Arjan and Mohammad stayed at but it was full. I found another place right across from the beach and I also found a car wash. I settled in, took Big Red to the lavadero and got him all cleaned up. The kids did a good job and this will make it easier for me when I get to Buenos Aires in about a week or so.

I waked around a bit, had a couple beers and fries and just people watched for awhile. When It came time for dinner, I decided for a sea food place around the corner. I showed up at 1945 and the guy said they weren't open till 2015. Ugh, this opening late thing gets old. I came back at 2025 and it was packed. I was able to get a table right away, and boy am I glad. About 20 minutes later, there was a line of people waiting! Guess I picked the right place, and it was good!

[​IMG]

I woke up this morning to no wind and no clouds! It's been awhile since this has happened. By 0800 the wind started to pick up a bit. I decided to get going so I packed up, loaded the bike, but when it came time to put the key in the ignition, no key. FOOK! I looked for about 45 minutes and decided I dropped it somewhere last night and it was gone. I pulled out the spare and got going a little later than I hoped.

[​IMG]

I made it to Las Grutas easily, fueled up, found my hotel, checked in and got settled. My first plan, search all my shit for that stupid key. As I was getting undressed, my left riding pant leg hit the floor and made an unusual sound. Hmm, what could that be. Yep, the key was in my pant leg the whole time. At least I found it before I tore into everything again! :thumbup

[​IMG]

I've seen a shot similar to this one somewhere here on ADVRider….. :hmmmmm

[​IMG]

So, that brings us up to date again. Tomorrow it's off to Rio Colorado, a bit inland. These coastal areas are packed with tourists, yes I'm on too, and I want to see if it's any different inland.

I'm feeling the urge for a nice cold one right about now, so with that, I'm off to find one!:beer

Thank you all for coming along on the ride!

Until next time, put your damn key where it belongs! :dirtdog

Esteban!
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    esteban. thanks for the update.

i learned this words many decades ago.....donde la pinche llave?
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  7. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, just checking in! Fantastic travels you are having. Brings back so many great memories I had from my travels. If you need a little cold, we are about 0 F here in Alaska, might need spike your tires though. :lol3
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  8. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to check in, have one of those ATs in white, thanks for the great trip report , please lets us know about your shippg details, next year is our turn.
  9. motorcity734

motorcity734 STANLEY CUP

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve
    Happy New Year:roflAs usual great pics. the beaches look great clean and blue :queenie
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  10. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel! I was all around that question, but in English! :D
  11. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Yo! Vin, Great to hear from you! Had a nice couple of warm days without too much wind! Actually hung out at the pool for a bit today! Felt good! I'll see if I can send a bit of this warm weather north! :jkam
  12. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Yokesman, stay tuned. I turn the bike in at the airport in less than a week. I'll be providing a pretty detailed account on how it went. :thumbup
    MrKiwi likes this.
  13. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Tres Arroyos!

Pulled in a couple hours ago, had a swim, just finished a beer, may need another one.....

As you may remember, I was in Las Grutas after the key debacle. I had a couple of cold ones, had a very nice dinner then called it a night. Well, that's what I thought. There was a friggin' rave going on until after 0600! WTF! Sleep was hard to come by! I was up early, luckily the hotel served breakfast starting at 0630. I ate and hit the road! Good riddens Las Grutas!

The ride was ok, not much to see....

[​IMG]

Long and straight was the order of the day. I met Alex and his wife from Brazil at a gas stop. They're headed south on a Yamaha Super Tenere. We exchanged stickers and went about our travels.

[​IMG]

While I was having a snack at another roadside stop, I met Hector and Tony, both from Rio Grande. They're headed north on a vacation, one on a Honda 250 the other on a Suzuki 650 V-strom. We did the sticker exchange and went on our ways! It's cool meeting other travelers on the road!

[​IMG]

I pulled into Rio Colorado, had a bite, gassed up, then went on to my hotel which was a little out of town. No worries, there was a gas station next door. I'll just head over and grab some beer and a couple things for dinner and be good to go! Nope, not even close. No friggin' beer. I said to hell with that, grabbed a soda, came back and cooked some stuff I have been carrying for WAY too long. I'm sure my body was ok without the beer too....

I was up early after a very quiet night, had a bite and hit the road. Here's what the scenery was at first.

[​IMG]

One of my several piss stops during the day, why not stop on the tracks!

[​IMG]

Big Red said he wanted a shot too.... O.K., you've taken my ass this far a couple pics are cool...

[​IMG]

I was in BIG wheat country and It was harvest time. Lot's of caravans of these guys all over. TONS of trucks carrying the wheat to Bahia Blanca, and a bunch of the harvesting groups camped alongside the road. I'm sure this is pretty commonplace in the Midwest U.S. but not in So. Cal.

[​IMG]

Another roadside stop! Had a sandwich and soda here. Kilometer 633 on Ruta 3, and not much else here!

[​IMG]

Shortly after... You guessed it, another break and photo stop....

[​IMG]

This scenery is getting better, for sure!

[​IMG]

And that my friends, brings up to date! I had a nice swim at the pool here this afternoon, had a beer and I think I'm going to have another!

Tomorrow I'm off to Mar del Plata for three days before going on the last leg to Buenos Aires. Two more riding days left! Wow, It's hard to believe that after 10 months, the end is near.

But, we ain't there yet! So don't go getting ur panties in a wad! There's more to come.

Thanks for coming along on the ride!

Until next time, did someone say BEER!

Esteban!
  14. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FREE beer tomorrow!! :)
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  15. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Mar del Plata!

I awoke yesterday to the sound of dripping water outside my room. Uh oh. I pulled open the curtain and sure enough, it was raining lightly and had been for some time. FOOK! The forecast said it was goin to taper off in the morning, so I went into slow mode since I only had about 170 mils to go today. Around 1000, it had dried up a lot and I figured I'd get rolling. First stop was to the local sporting goods store for a backpack. I need one for my clothes because my camping gear has to go in my duffle as a checked bag. Camping gear cannot ship with the bike.

I got a 30l backpack for a few bucks that folds up to the size of an apple! With that done, it was time to head east.....

[​IMG]

I mentioned all the grain trucks, here's an old Scania truck. There are literally hundreds of these types of trucks all around these parts. There was also a lot of grain along the sides of the road.

[​IMG]

Lots more to see around here

[​IMG]

Fields and fields of wheat, corn and sunflower. The weather in this direction doesn't look too bad, dammit.

[​IMG]

This is the direction I'm going.....

[​IMG]

This field had sunflowers planted, but had recently been a corn field.

[​IMG]

My last picture of the day. It stayed dry for over half the day, but that would end shortly up the road. The downside to booking ahead is it sometimes forces you to have to ride in weather. It never rained hard, but for a couple hours it was a steady, heavy drizzle.

[​IMG]

I rolled into Mar del Plata easily, gassed up, checked in and made plans to get Big Red washed again since we got a bit dirty yesterday.

That takes care of getting here. I'm headed to get some breakfast then head to the lavadero!

Thanks for coming along!

Until next time,

Esteban!
    goodcat, The_Scottsman, DaleE and 6 others like this.
  16. baja1kwinner

baja1kwinner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    last time I was in Mar del Plata, it was 100f
  17. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Its cool and raining here today!

Looks like Ricky Brabec is going to take the stage today after a bad day yesterday!
  18. DEPCHIN

DEPCHIN DEPCHIN

Oddometer:
    Hola Esteban, Que Tal?

Sorry I missed you for Christmas and New Year. So, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Glad you are rolling smooth. Stay safe, warm and dry. Its been cool and raining here also.
    Looks like Meatloaf may be on to something with regards to your shadow! We are all getting older brother.

Depchin out!
  19. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Forgot to ask, Did XR Valdeez ever meet Juan Valdez in Colombia?
  20. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Yes, we are all getting a bit older! :photog