One man, one moto, the True Adventure!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XR Valdeez, Jan 8, 2018.

1. XR Valdeez

XR Valdeez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mar del Plata

Yesterday I decided to go get Big Re washed, again since we got a little dirty in the rain. Afterwards I rode over to the submarine museum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Argentine Navy's submarine program started in 1917 when they sent three officers to the U.S. to attend our submarine school. Even though they didn't understand English, one of them scored #2 in the class! So far, they have had 5 generations of submarines, starting with an Italian model in the 30's.

[​IMG]

Here's some of the battery plates from that model of sub and the metal slide rules were also used.

[​IMG]

Their 2nd class of sub was the American Balao class.

[​IMG]

Here's the state of the art checklist system for the diving officer! These were the items needed to be secured before the boat could dive.

[​IMG]

Third generation was the U.S. Guppy class

[​IMG]

Torpedo used in the fourth generation of submarine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fourth generation of sub was the German 209 class

[​IMG]

The current class of submarine is the German 1700 class

[​IMG]

Pistons from the diesel engines of the 1700 class

[​IMG]

These two German U-Boats surrendered to the Argentine Navy at the end of WW II. Both boats were sailed to the U.S. under their own power and sunk by the U.S. Navy

[​IMG]

A more modern torpedo used on the 1700 class boats

[​IMG]

Statistics

[​IMG]

The orange cassette has the wire to guide the torpedo and stays in the launch tube after launch

[​IMG]

There was a large memorial for the ARA San Juan which was recently lost with all hands on board

[​IMG]

The 44 crewmen

[​IMG]

A snorkel for the diesel engines, pretty big

[​IMG]

The weather started to close in so I headed back, just in the nick of time because it started to pour just as I parked in the garage. I had a quiet night and called it early.

Today I chilled, mostly, then headed out to see a hundred year old water tank still in use

[​IMG]

You can go up to the observation deck, for free, and get a nice view of the city

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some facts, in Spanish, about the tower

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A wall mural a short distance from the tower

[​IMG]

That takes care of my stay in Mar del Plata. Tomorrow it's off to Buenos Aires! Monday I take Big Red to the airport and meet up with Javier and Sandra from Dakar Motos!

Thanks for coming along!

Until next time,

Esteban!
    DavidM1, goodcat, GoDoMore and 10 others like this.
  2. motorcity734

motorcity734 STANLEY CUP

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve looking good, have a safe flight. Thanks for taking us along !!!!!!!!!! :-)
  3. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul!
  4. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Hello from Buenos Aires!

It's a bittersweet post as this will probably be the last post from outside the U.S. I am currently without my trusty steed that so reliably carried my ass over 22,000 miles! But first, we'll back it up a notch.

As you may remember, I was in Mar del Plata. I left fairly early after a good breakfast and hit the road north. I didn't use my aux fuel tank since before Mar del Plata because I wanted to be close to empty when I arrived in Buenos Aires. I was pushing a head wind for about the first half of the ride so I was using a bit more gas than usual. I stopped twice for gas, the first time I had the attendant put 300 worth in which took me a fair distance. The second time, when I was about 43 miles from my hotel, I had the attendant put just 75 pesos worth in. The kid looked at me like I was crazy. After I explained, he got it and put 75 worth in. About 16 miles from my hotel, I had only 1 bar worth of gas showing! Perfect. :thumbup

On the way up on RP-2, I came to a peaje, or toll booth. Dammit! But as I got closer I spied something.....

[​IMG]

Winner, winner, I'm gonna have a big steak dinner! Good Job Argentina! :ricky

[​IMG]

I stopped on the way up, found a shady spot, had a snack and some water and let my butt take a break. I was on a 260 mile day, not long for a lot of people, but on this trip it was a bigger day than most. I know there's some iron butt's out there chuckling about my big mileage day... :lol3

[​IMG]

Things have greened up a lot from down south! It was considerably warmer too. I got to start the day with vents OPEN! :jkam

[​IMG]

At first I thought there must be a parade or something the following day with all these chairs sitting out here. Thought it was weird because it was out in no mans land. As I passed it, I realized it was a lawn chair sales booth set up. Oh well. If your looking for a good deal on lawn or pool chairs, these guys are set up at the intersection of RP-6 and RP-58!

[​IMG]

So I pulled into my hotel easy enough, settled in and relaxed. On Sunday I got busy unloading and re-packing things on Big Red in preparation for going to the airport this morning. All camping gear was removed along with extra oil, coolant and chain lube. All aerosols were removed and the necessary tools for disconnecting the battery were pulled out and put in the tank bag.

The hotel staff here were happy, they got a chair, table, chain lube, WD-40, oil and coolant! I still have a 3/4 full can of Plexus plastic polish I'm still trying to decide what to do with, but it can't go home with me.

I was awake early today in anticipation for the shipping of the bike. I rode the whopping 2 miles or so to the cargo area where I was greeted by Javier and Sandra from Dakar Motos who were already there with another biker shipping his bike to Miami. I got busy taking off the windscreen, mirrors, phone mount and SPOT mount. Here's Big Red all stripped down and ready for weighing.

[​IMG]

After weighing, we rode over to the warehouse where the bikes were strapped to pallets then plastic wrapped. It was here that I disconnected the battery and left the lead hanging out of the battery box. Here's the guys in the process of strapping my bike to the pallet. As I took the picture, I got yelled at! Apparently photo's are strictly forbidden in the warehouse. Because of this I have scrambled my signal and am currently wearing my foil hat to keep the photo police from knowing my exact whereabouts!

[​IMG]

I shipped with the bike, my helmet, boots and riding pants as far as gear goes. I also stuffed my tank bag full of gloves and other riding related gear. We stood by while our bikes were scanned. No sirens, bells or whistles sounded so we were good to go!

After that we went with Javier and Sandra and paid our bills. After a little over $1700 U.S. I was done! I was back at the hotel before noon! It took less than 2 hours total for the entire process! I cannot recommend Dakar Moto's high enough! They have their stuff together and make it a VERY pleasant and painless experience!

My bike ships on Wednesday and arrives LAX on Thursday! As I arrive on Friday, riding it home from the airport may work! Fingers crossed!

So, where do we go from here? Good question. I know there's a short amount of miles left, but those will hopefully be an uneventful ride down the good 'ol 405 to the house! :ricky

I plan on doing a fairly comprehensive review of the gear and mods I did to Big Red for the trip. I don't want it to turn into a gear banter forum. I'm just going to give you all my opinion of the gear and mods I did. I didn't have any sponsors except for a couple of friends that helped me with a few items, so you all will get it straight from the horses ass!

I want to thank you all for coming along on the ride and experiencing some of the great places Mexico, Central and South America have to offer! I had a trip of a lifetime!

Well, that about does it for this update!

Until next time, It's time for a friggin' BEER! :dutch

Cheers!

Esteban!
    NewEnglander, dano619, DaleE and 20 others like this.
  5. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a stranger rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Excellent ride and report! Again, many thanks from those of us planning on following in your tire tracks.

Even this last report is filled with useful info. I am still not sure what I’ll do this time next year at the end of the southbound trip, but the info on shipping back to the US is happily accepted.
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  6. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've enjoyed this ride report immensely.
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  7. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Well done mate, see you up north.
    XR Valdeez and Drybones like this.
  8. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job and a wonderful RR. I bet your looks forward to getting home.

Enjoy.

Eric
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  9. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    You are officially the ONLY reason I check in to advrider anymore

You better extend your trip or I ain't gonna have anythang to do :imaposer

CHEERS MATE :beer
  10. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    the interview thread in inmates (the real interview thread) has started up again - check it out...
  11. chev67rsss

chev67rsss Alex

Oddometer:
    All great things must come to and end. What a awesome adventure Thanks for taking us along with you with the pictures and ride reports. have a Safe journey home Steve. :beer
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for a great report
  13. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't skimp on the bike and gear review!
  14. Meatn'taters

Meatn'taters Not any more

Oddometer:
    Well done Esteban - congratulations on a highly successful, safe journey. Thank you for taking us a long. Great RR.
  15. C.J.

C.J. Sierra Nevada Rider

Oddometer:
    Very Good. Been with you most the way. Very fun. Great story.
    Thank you
  16. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ScotsFire ! Let me know if there's any information or suggestions I might have that can help you! Thanks for following along!

@MrKiwi you've been there for the long haul! Thanks for coming along!

Make sure you get a hold of me when you get to Baja or So. Cal! We'll get together for sure! You two ride safe!

Thanks @JHpowderhound ! Ya, I'm looking forward to getting on that airplane tomorrow for sure!
    yokesman likes this.
  17. XR Valdeez

Oddometer:
    Thanks @goodcat ! It was great meeting you in Baja! Hopefully we can get together again somewhere down the road!

Thanks @chev67rsss! We'll have a fire pit at my place next Friday! Thanks for coming along!

Thanks for following along!

Oh no! It'll probably be a bit long winded as I have quite a few opinions regarding my gear and bike! Stay tuned!

Thanks for coming along @Meatn'taters !

Thanks for coming along @C.J. !
  18. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    @XR Valdeez - Yeah I have been in this thread for the long haul, it was fun reading your posts and I looked forward to your updates. I'm going to miss them.

What I enjoyed to, was your different perspectives. Following both your and @Normlas RR's it was interesting the different takes you had on the same places. Getting these different perspectives enriched the reading experience.

As a fellow Africa Twin owner, looking forward to your views on the bike. Cheers from New Zealand.
    XR Valdeez and ScotsFire like this.
  19. dmpeach

dmpeach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride! I just caught up from starting at page one just two days ago. Really enjoyed your travels, photos, and commentary.
    XR Valdeez likes this.
  20. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for this RR. I appreciate how much effort it can take while living in the moment, after long days of riding, doing bike maintenance, dealing with spotty wifi, etc. All the best reintegrating with the rest of the world upon your return. Cheers!
    XR Valdeez likes this.