One suit that can make it all; suggestions please

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by varago, Dec 28, 2019.

1. varago

varago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ORFORD and Rawdon, Qc, cold almost all time
    There is probably a few thread dealing with this, but did’nt see any. If you would go on a journey for a few weeks and you could bring one suit only for all the weathers that you would enconter (rain, wind, cold , etc..) what would it be?
  2. Dijkvaneenjoost

Dijkvaneenjoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW rallye 2 pro.. use it dit everything, Used to have several suits, now this the only one left..
    Others didn’t get used anymore.

It’s an oldie but in a good way!
  3. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Darien jacket and either Darien or AD-1 pants. Very good in the heat (for waterproof gear), and room for layering and features that make them great in the cold. Protective, repairable, waterproof, versatile.
    rkover1 and Grinnin like this.
  4. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your "journey" is mainly road and not off-road then, AND not a winter journey, but somewhere in the other three seasons............

Mesh jacket and pants both armored, light rain jacket and pants, heated shirt, windbreaker, long johns. I also take a pair of Klim Outrider pants because I can pull the knee armor out w/o taking them off and wear them around like a pair of Carharts, and the D30 armor fits the mesh pants too.

The entire idea is to ditch duplicate armor. It's one thing to carry additional clothing, and you don't really have to, but just don't carry additional armor too. Un-worn armor takes up a lot of space

The rain pants must be full two-way side-zips so that you can pull them on quickly over your mesh pants when by the side of the road w/o removing your boots.

I use REI rainpants because they are also rated to be windproof up to 60mph and I don't usually ride faster than 60 in the rain, and they are inexpensive, compact when folded, and have two way full side zips. For some reason the traditional motorcycle brands don't make full two-way, side-zip pants, unless they are goretex like Aerostich for example.

But the Aerostich pants, even with the armor removed are twice the size when rolled up as my REI pants, so I don't carry them. Sure the Aerostich pants are going to hold up in a slide, but so are the mesh pants underneath, and I'm willing to forego slide redundancy.

If it gets cold and not raining pull the rain pants on, or wear the long johns under the mesh pants and put the rain jacket on. Skinny long johns compress to the size of a Navel Orange. If it's sort of cold, just put the windbreaker on under the mesh jacket, if it get's colder use the heated shirt too -not a heated jacket, they are too bulky IMO.

Or if you want to be more "traditional" and wear Goretex get a jacket and pants combo where you can swap the armor between the mesh and the goretex, that way you are not carrying an armored jacket and armored pants stuffed into your panniers/tail-bag or wherever. You shouldn't have to wear armor and carry a set stuffed into clothes that are packed in your luggage

Hippo hands the short/smaller version, and heated grips. I carry short-cuff summer perforated gloves, and a pair of [insulated or not] rain-proof gauntlets as needed.

Neck buff -always. You can pull it up and use it like a balaclava while it's covering your neck if needed.

The light rain jacket can double as a walk around jacket if it's raining when you get off the bike. You'll have the advantage of not having to wear an armored jacket in the rain when off the bike; and many light rain jackets also have a hood rolled up in the collar that you can wear under your helmet if you want, or when you're off the bike in the rain it can keep your head dry so you won't have to carry a hat to do that. Same applies to the light rain pants; wear them in the rain around town or the campground.

The above works for me in 105 to 32 f in any amount of rain or no rain at all.

Just completed about 6,000 miles in Sept to late Oct going from the Gulf Coast to the Pacific Ocean via the Sangre de Cristo mtns at 9,200 feet and Death Valley at -300 feet back to New Orleans and used the mesh jacket, no goretex and the other garments described above.

Also, wear Merino wool underwear, briefs or boxers, and t-shirts. After two weeks in the same Merino underwear it won't stink, you will stink, but your underwear will not.

When wearing my mesh pants, all I wear under them is my Merino underpants -no shorts or pants. Same with the jacket, just a merino t-shirt underneath and other layers if needed. By using merino you only have to take one extra pair of shorts or t-shirt as you can hand wash them and let them dry under a cargo net as you ride. Same as for your socks -Merino wool socks. Wash them frequently to keep the fungus away.

If you wear, mesh or goretex, make certain the pants are lined otherwise you will have to wear some sort of pants underneath because if you don't and you go into a slide the cordura will melt into your flesh. Some goretex pants are not lined, Aerostich for instance, so if you wear them you will have to wear something besides underwear under them. And if you are in higher temps that will feel too hot to wear pants under the mesh, even shorts; for me anything over 82f and I want to be riding in my underwear only under my mesh.

My 2cents for WIW
  5. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Aerostich Darien jacket and AD-1 pants.

doc
  6. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check MOTOPORT, I’ve worn my pants and jacket on many 1-2 week trips, machine washable, hang dry(quick)
    Heavy rain throw some yellow frogTogs on over your outfit
    FYI my Hiviz jacket has faded quite a bit in 9 years, plus it shrunk
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Klim goretex jacket and pants (I wear the women’s), works great and is well vented with the zips. Proven over multiple trips.
  8. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Easy choice here, a jacket and pant that either has GoreTex or E-Vent lining and direct-to-skin vents, or if 1-piece is preferred, Aerostich or Klim Harbanger. Then just bring either a heated liner or if you are cold-tolerant, a warm base layer. It's taken me years to finally see the light and ditch the rain gear.
  9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Dariens are the apex predator here. That said, I can’t stand wearing much gear when it’s really hot. Despite the excellent venting of Dariens, I wear firstgear or Olympia mesh in the summer. At the most.
  10. varago

varago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ORFORD and Rawdon, Qc, cold almost all time
    Thanks mates for all your answers. It’s gona be very helpfull. Cheers!
    Emmett and Bill Lumberg like this.
  11. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I have tried a bunch of different set ups for touring.

Mesh,
    Mesh with waterproofs over
    Mesh with waterproofs under
    Leather
    Leather with waterproofs over
    Riding jeans
    Riding jeans with waterproof over...

What I come back to...
    Aerostich Darien jacket and pants.
    I up size them so I can layer under them. I trust them to be waterproof.
    They don't work when it gets much above ninety degrees. But then either do I.
    Bill Lumberg likes this.
  12. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of guys swear by custom Aerostitch and Motoport at least back in the day. Klim Latitude 2-piece with suspenders is what I would recommend off the shelf paired with a competent heating vest.
  13. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motoport stretch kevlar if you are not in really humid climates,otherwise go with their Air mesh kevlar.
    Full Motoport with all their liners is pretty bulky,but effective.

Klim latitude is a good option too.

JR356
  14. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Nothing off the shelf fits me. It's worth it to spend the extra for the Darien custom fit.

doc
  15. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still like the original Aerostich roadcrafter, but have not tried anything else except the Darien Light and the Aerostich Falstaff. The light was no good for anything, and the Falstaff was even worse. Don't know about the standard Darien. I've ridden in 114 degrees for hours in the Roadcrafter and yes it's hot, but in 114 degrees hot is a given fact. Ridden below zero with a heated jacket under and heated gloves and it worked fine there as well. Consider the original Roadcrafter.
    NJ Moto likes this.