Ongoing Rides and Misadventures in the UK and Europe

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by UKRider, Apr 24, 2019.

1. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:

Here’s the full video of my two-day, 635-mile trip around Snowdonia National Park last Monday and Tuesday. I did the Adventure Bike Rider Magazine Snowdonia Discovery Route pretty much turn for turn, but split over two days. The original file (9 tracks) is at https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=44342

This route introduced some rough single lane roads that were just phenomenal. I think Snowdonia is an excellent two-day trip— a great alternative when you don’t have six days for Scotland. In the video below, I focus on these small or unnamed roads—some were too short, but others were really amazing. (Even if I had to chase herds of sheep off the road.) Gravel on some roads and tight switchbacks might limit the fun for some bikes.

A big windstorm on the first day required some slower riding when even my 1090 R was getting pushed sideways. I lucked out at the hostel when the host let me park in the wind shadow of the building, and I got a private room when no others arrived to share. Hiking up the base of Tryfan was great that evening.

I felt lucky to do these roads on weekdays, even if I had a storm and rain. They were mostly empty, but I bet that changes on weekends. Sorry the video is nine minutes, but the route is intense.

Thanks to Adventure Bike Rider for posting this route and GPX file!

I also got in the Atlantic Highway to Lizard Point ride on Wednesday and Thursday, with off-roading on Salisbury Plain on the way home. I'll post video from those rides later this week. 1500 miles on the KTM over five days-- not bad.
    TheBritAbroad and nickguzzi like this.
  2. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:

Another short video from last week-- riding the Atlantic Highway to Lizard Point, two-day ride, 675 miles last Wednesday and Thursday. Includes Porlock Hill, sunny beaches, surfboards, lighthouse, coastal hikes, ribs, and beer.

Notes: I stayed at Lizard Point hostel, which is a National Trust building right next to the lighthouse. Pretty amazing-- I've never been at a lighthouse at night. I shared a room with a hiker doing the entire coastline.

The 10 minute walk to Lizard Point village for a huge slab of ribs at the Top House was the highlight of the day.

Traffic started getting bad at Porth/Newquay. I had planned to ride to Lands End and then back to Lizard Point, but that 40 miles would have taken over 2 hours with traffic, so I just cut it. Traffic was mercifully light toward Lizard Point, which may make it a better destination than St. Ives and other locations during the summer.

I also did green lanes at Salisbury Plain on the second day, and I'll post that final video later this week.

Here's the route:

LizardPoint.jpg
  3. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:

Here's a video of my first green laning on the 1090 R on Salisbury Plain. The video below tries to show that the conditions were like and how the bike handled. I rode part of a TRF published route in Viewranger (https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NTYwNzk=).

This is from Thursday last week, and I had already done 200 miles from Lizard Point, and was solo, so I was taking it easy. It was loads of fun, but tiring, and rut riding is not my favorite thing to do at speed. The start from Berwick St James was fun, because the farm building reminded me of Dirk Pitt's plane hangar... [​IMG]:)

I was really pleased by how the bike and TKC 70 tyres handled the ruts, water and mud. I didn't have any drops, but the bike needed a serious wash when home. It felt good to take the adventure bike off road, with luggage on, and all of the practice with the smaller CRF 250 Rally paid off.
  4. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:

Having just learned how to convert KML to GPX files, I decided to try the the MCN Brecon Beacons Adventure Bike Heaven ride to Black Desert Training-- https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 650978&z=9 today for fun.

The ride went well today, even if it was 413 miles all in from home. The route was relatively standard-- I was hoping for more rough single lane in quiet country. This did happen in the last parts of the route-- an unnamed road leaves A4109 Inter-valley Road, and passes through Pontneddfechan. The next six miles or so was the best of the ride, and worth a run if near by. The route also passes thorugh Ystradfellte.

fullsizeoutput_5fdd.jpeg
  5. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:

Had a fun Saturday morning--

-- visited KTM Centre in Hemel Hempstead
    -- met up with friend Mike to test ride KTM 790 Adventure bikes.
    -- rode out to Dunstable Downs
    -- escaped the KTM Centre without spending money

Compared to my 1090 R, the 790 R was compact, stable, and had great handling characteristics with a low center of gravity. I won't be trading in my bike (still love the feel and response of the V twin and the light handling, more wind protection, engine bars, etc.), but I can understand why KTM engineered the 790 Adventure bikes. Why not have a lighter bike with a great engine and superb handling characteristics?

I was able to leave with wallet undamaged. Not so sure about Mike... [​IMG]
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  6. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:

Salisbury Plain is often recommended as a good "first off-road experience" for adventure bike owners. A friend (with a new 790 Adventure) and I did a 43 mile loop of trails and track there yesterday, and the experience was great. Video below tries to show the road and trail conditions on a dry day, and it was good practice for the TET and RallyMoto events. Legs are sore today from the standing-- I need more days like this before doing longer events or a week on the TET. The firing ranges were closed yesterday, so we visited a tank and took in Stonehenge as well.

fullsizeoutput_60bd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_60bf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_60c1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_60c4.jpeg fullsizeoutput_60c5.jpeg
  7. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:

Did an intense "Canonball' at Salisbury Plain with Rallymoto.co.uk today-- over 184km, mostly off-road, with with strong rain, sunshine, slippery mud and a fine group of riders. Really fun to use a detailed roadbook for the first time, and the RallyBlitz app for the distance/heading was expensive but essential. The organizers deserve kudos for such a well organized event. As usual, the bike is much more competent than I am off-road. Not a bad Father's Day-- I'm ready to go again.

Image 6-16-19 at 6.15 PM.jpg

fullsizeoutput_615f.jpeg
  8. DeGraafvanSalland

DeGraafvanSalland De Graaf van Salland

Oddometer:
    Great posts.
    I also just subscibed to your youtube-channel.
    UKRider likes this.
  9. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I have rides to Scotland, the Netherlands and Belgium coming up this summer.
    DeGraafvanSalland likes this.
  10. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:
    Another ride around Salisbury Plain today on my KTM 1090 R. My friend was on his KTM 790 Adventure.

fullsizeoutput_6200.jpeg fullsizeoutput_61ff.jpeg 66+7LwOLSeyhEH3AFEjhfA.jpg
  11. DeGraafvanSalland

DeGraafvanSalland De Graaf van Salland

Oddometer:
    Why come to the Netherlands? It’s boring & flat..... (I know, I live there)
  12. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:
    I have a friend with a new 790 Adventure, and he a life-long mountain bike rider but just getting started with off-road motorcycling. We choose the Netherlands and Belgium as two of the countries where the Trans Euro Trail should more tame for larger adv bikes (like my 1090 R). So, we are doing the TET in those two countries (or at least parts of it), as an intro to multi-day adv bike riding off-road. Should be fun-- we're not looking to conquer the Alps or death-defying rock faces. Next year, we might do more of the TET, but possibly on 250cc CRF bikes or similar, since the trails weren't selected for big bikes overall.
  13. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:
    It’s a good day when I find more green lanes close to home. These are north of Hatfield.

IMG_8287.jpg

fullsizeoutput_6443.jpeg
  14. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:
    Big thanks to James Oxley at Adventure Bike Rider magazine for publishing a Lake District Route:

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/motorcycle-tour-of-the-lake-district/

I rode the full route on Thursday and Friday last week, and I encountered low traffic, great weather, and only one closed road. Here are some pics:

My KTM 1090 R at Wastwater. I had fresh TKC 70s for this trip:
    fullsizeoutput_653f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_653e.jpeg

Relaxing lakeside at Windermere: fullsizeoutput_653d.jpeg

A big sky road to Caldbeck: fullsizeoutput_6547.jpeg

A stop at Ullswater: fullsizeoutput_6548.jpeg

A gravel side trip in Glenridding: fullsizeoutput_6549.jpeg

I added 20 miles so I could drop back down from Buttermere to stay over at the YHA in Ambleside (and have dinner at Lucy's on a Plate), and then the next morning I rode back north to continue to Bassenthwaite.

Here's a video specifically about my Hardknott Pass climb:

Here's a video about the full trip:

I've ridden the Lake District several times before, but I enjoyed following James' route for a change. It wasn't quite as rugged in terms of roads compared to the Snowdonia Discovery Route, but the Wrynose and Hardknott passes were much fun.

Thanks again to ABR for publishing the route, and I will continue to work my way down your route archives as I have time.
  15. UKRider

UKRider Guy who rides...

Oddometer:
    The day after the Lake District tour last week, the weather was sunny for one last day before the rains arrived. After breakfast at the Ace Cafe, I took off to the Welham Green lanes for some relaxing off-road riding with the Honda 250L Rally. Love that bike!

fullsizeoutput_6556.jpeg