1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Online Snap-On tools purchase.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by motosaint, Jul 16, 2007.

1. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a good online location to buy snap-on tools? I have a variety of small tools and I think it's time to get a proper set. I'm going to be rebuilding a motor for a 1983 GS750ES, so that tells you what I may be needing.
  2. Two Dot

Two Dot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal (winter) Montana (summer) NC (spring&fall)
    Did you try snapon.com???

I have ordered from them when I was not near a local truck dealer.

It takes a long time though...

Good luck.
  3. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    :stupid

I've bought on-line, works just dandy. You might sometimes find better prices on a snap-on truck, but they are generally pretty close (unless your local snappy guy has a sale going on your specific tool:)).
  4. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    Try eBay...seems that just like pawn shops, there is a surplus of good used high dollar tools to be had for those patient enough to shop around.
  5. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I don't like their online store since it has a crappy interface and makes it hard to find what want. eBay wasn't much better since they had a lot of certain things, and few of others...

Snap-On trucks? I've seen them, but what's up with that?
  6. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    I've never bought online...or in pawn shops, for that matter...I buy off the truck. It stops at our maintenance shop every other week. Careful, they'll extend you a line of credit right off the bat....
  7. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    OMG.. A line of credit? That's too much!!! :clap

Is there a way to know the routes of the trucks or should I call up some of my friends who own/work in autoshops if Snap-On comes around? I don't think Snap-On would give that info. out since it would allow their competitors to stalk 'em....
  8. Scottysix9

Scottysix9 Shhh...

Oddometer:
    Snap-On will absolutely give you name of the nearest dealer. It's not an exclusive club, it's a business. A good Snap-On guy (most of them) are happy to sell you a two dollar part, or a set of sockets.

If you see a truck parked, walk up and ask him if you can have a look around, explain what you are looking for and he'll show you what you need. It he doesn't accomodate you, he's a shitty salesman and won't have that truck for long. Good Snap-On guys are laid back, know their product and very helpful in guiding the novice. And pros.

Be prepared, however. Snap-On tool trucks are like opium dens or crack houses. The air conditioned truck, the soft purr of the generator, free snacks and rows of beautiful shiny new tools that you don't REALLY need but sure would look good in your box... you find yourself looking foward to that weekly tool fix.
  9. Scottysix9

Scottysix9 Shhh...

Oddometer:
    All the trucks hit the same shops. Matco, Mac, Cornwell, Snap-On and many independents.
  10. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw a truck parked by a service station and walked in saying something like "I need a 14 mm socket."

Q: 1/4 or 3/8; A: 3/8
    Q: 6 or 12 pt; A: 6 pt
    Q: tall or normal; A: tall
    Q: thin wall or normal; A: thin wall

He hands me the socket and names some obscene price :D
    It should be that easy every time I buy tools.

// marc
  11. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well you obviously PAY for that convenience. Snap-On's website was quite an eye-opener. I mean, they are charging about 3x more than Craftsman tools!!! $244 vs $80 for an 8pc. wrench set. Whattya think? Craftsman is guaranteed for life... I don't think I've had tools fail on me..

Though, Snap-On DOES have some better thought out tools... I mean, their soft-handle screwdrivers are actually contoured for you hand... Craftsman just slaps a rubber grip around the same screwdriver...

So, SOME things may be worthwhil for the price... But is a Snap-On wrench that much better than a Craftsman?
  12. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Ace Hardware (and Harbor Freight) have a lifetime guarantee on most of their hand tools, too. I'm not suggesting that either is the equivalent of Craftsman, and certainly not Snap-on or Mac, but they'll work if you don't use them really hard. And they'll replace them if they break.

I worked with hand tools for many years, and I have Snap-On, Mac, Craftsman, Ace and HF tools in my box.

Some applications require the best you can afford but most of the time you can buy what looks like it will do the job. If it breaks, upgrade. If it doesn't, you have all the tool you need.
  13. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    I'm a Craftsman guy most of the time but about 5 years ago I was looking for a nice tap and die set and Sear's offerings did not look appealing.

Called Snapon, got the name of a local dealer, called his cell phone, found where he'd be during the week at a certain place and time that was pretty close to my house and drove over. I knew what I wanted, took 5 minutes of his time, and got 10% off. He just swiped my credit card and I was good to go. Win Win.

The prices are obscene. But the tap and die set is a keeper for life. :clap

T.
  14. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    Seems like the consensus here is that if a 'lower' brand offers what you want, then go with that. If not, move up the scale until you get what you want.

I mean, screwdrivers should be no big deal... But they REALLY are in issue when you use them all the time. It really makes a difference when you use a great tool. I mean, a contoured handle may sound prissy... But if you use 'em a lot, then it may be worth the money.

But from what I've seen, a wrench is a wrench. None of the manufacturers look to offer anything really different. In this case, try out the lower brand and see if it's quality. If it is, then go in with a big set.

I still don't get why Snap-On and Mac charge $1600 for a damn tool chest. I just don't see it.
  15. Blaize

Blaize n00b

Oddometer:
    It really comes down to how much you are going to be using it. I am a pro wrench and "most" of my tools are now snap-on. I had a decent set of mostly craftsman tools when I started 6 years ago and little by little it has all moved back home and been replaced by snap-on/Matco/Mac depending on who had what on sale. And yes when you use tham all day long, there is a difference in quality, and fit. Snap on sockets are machined to a tighter tolerance and fit the nuts better, but you have to use tham allot before you can really tell. If you hold one up to the other, you can see it.

Having said all that, it is VERY expensive to get a decent set of tools if it is all brand name. VERY, VERY, expensive. And I don't get the box prices either. $1600? chump change. Most of the guys in my shop have spent around $4-6000 on the box and we have a couple who have $10-14k models. And they go much higher if you want the REALLY big ones. The little service carts that we all have to roll around with us as we work? the snap-on model is $500 and up, I think the cheapest "real" one is Matco and it is $450. I have a $25 model from H-Freight, but I can set a transmission on it and not wince, they all have a fit if they drop a brake rotor into theirs.

Now I did have a big $4500 Snap-On box a few years ago, but lost it in hurricane Katrina. Then I moved to the pacific northwest and discovered Costco and the deal of the century on the chinese made stainless steel one they sell. $750 and easily as nice as all the big dogs. And bigger than I had before. Would cost me $7000 to get one this big in a name brand.

Of all the things for my first post to be about, the mechanic chimes in on tools. Typical.

As to the orig. question, Ebay can be a steal on some of this stuff but you have to know what you are looking at, and be patient for the right deal to come along.

And by the way, Snap-On is not the best. Hazet is. Made in Germany. They build all the special tools for Vw/Audi, Porsche, Benz, BMW, ect. And the standard tools they sell are second to none. the best thought out tools available. To make the point they don't chrome everthing, they plate it all with a rough silver surface. Ever try to pick up a chrome ratchet with oily hands?

But if you think Snap-on is expensive................
  16. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Blaize for the info...

I still don't get the pricing for the boxes... I think it's completely absurd. But they must be good or people wouldn't be buying them and Snap-On making them....

I think I'll get the most basic stuff from Craftsman and the more interesting tools from one of the vendors when I can find a sale. I'm really looking forward to doing some work on my bike and restoring it. Should be fun!
  17. Blaize

Blaize n00b

Oddometer:
    Actually, my box is a prime example of why the snap-on boxes cost so much. Mine is all stainless and in every respect the same quality as a snap-on box but costs 1/10th as much as they charge. The difference? mine is made in china, snap-on is made in the usa. that really is all there is to it.
  18. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    Wow, now that is something worth thinking about! Yeah, that's why the U.S. isn't such a great place for manufacturing. Labor costs are so high. BUT, I also think that Snap-On is the Neiman Marcus of tools are you are going to pay a premium for them. Though, I'm sure some of that premium goes to the advertising that they do.

When I DO shop for clothes, I DO go to Neiman Marcus and DO pay a premium. Cause it's quality that will look as good during that whole time. The only thing I'll buy at Macy's are socks and underwear. I haven't found that stuff worth a premium. All this is directly applicable to tools....

Spend some extra money on the tools that you WILL use more often and until you have a reason, spend less on the tools you won't use as often.

But yeah, there are things 2x as good as their competition... But 10x? I think not..
  19. KLboxeR

KLboxeR Back in the game again

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of Snap-On stuff, but I don't have much use for their tool guys anymore. They may have honored their lifetime warranty one out of ten times in the last few years. That's a bunch of BS, you pay the premium and they balk at replacing? No thanks, I'm going elsewhere.

There was a thread a while back that claimed the Husky brand tools from Lowes came off the same production line as SO. They were stamped with the Husky name and had a little less polishing done. Don't know if it's true or not, but my brother just got a Husky set and they're actually very nice tools.

I mostly buy Craftsman stuff now. The value is hard to beat and they NEVER balk at a warranty claim. Hell, they never even ask what's wrong....just throw it in the bin and grab another one. The Craftsman Club flyer came in the mail today. Members can save on certain items from 07/22/07 to 07/28/07. If you're not a member, join. The savings are tremendous when they run these club sales. The 263 piece tool set w/molded tool box will be on sale for $189 from $269. This set is a fantastic deal at that price and makes for a great starter set to build from. I think the club sale items are usually featured at craftsman.com

Chris
  20. allan16

allan16 Could I Get More Cynical...?

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

Man...I wanna know your Snap On guy !!!