1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Online Snap-On tools purchase.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by motosaint, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:

+1 on the Costco stainless tool chest. I have been very impressed with mine.
  2. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Jeez, I have nearly that much in mine, and I bought it used.

That patent has expired, I believe. I've seen that design feature on other brands of wrench in recent years.
  3. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think I know what you're talking about and have that design on other tool sets. But like I said, Snap-On really has some cool design features.

4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think so for often used parts. If you are making a living with your tools its undoubtedly worth it. When I was wrenching full time I sure didn't have time to drive to sears (and usually have to specail order) whatever I needed, rather I could get it off the snappy truck every tuesday or if urgently needed could call the snap-on guy and he'd typically be there in an hour or two with the needed tool. Much of snap-on's apeal to pro mechanics is their service, it really makes the difference. Their hand tools are also generally the best quality I've ever seen. Perfect finish, very slim, generally strong enough etc. For occasional, at-home use its probably not worth the cost, but if your seriously into wrenching or doing it as a profession its undoubtedly worth it imho.

This is for their hand-tool line, their line of air tools is rather unimpressive and I actually like the Ingersol-rand stuff better (which luckilly another tool guy that stoped at our shop carried and supported:deal).
  5. El Hombre

El Hombre Banned

Oddometer:
    I was reading an article about Snap-on in the WSJ, it mentioned that 1/3 of the retail price was just to cover all the bad debts from extending credit to sub-human mechanics.

I watched a guy I worked with buy the Snap-on rolling cart for $129, on sale. Right on the box, "Made in China". I bought the $25 version at HF.

The sockets and ratchets were good. Hated the wrenches; too thin and flexy. I could never tell if the fastener was winding up or the wrench was bending. And give it a real good pull and you could slice all 4 fingers off.

I only bought Snap-on when I needed something only they had; weird stuff like metric crowfoot flare nut wrenches. Or a 10mm 12 point flex socket in 1/4" drive, to get carbs off Ford Pintos and Mustang II.

Most of my stuff is Proto, Sears, Mac, Cornwell.
  6. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    I spent last year in France and at some point I was attempting to order some Snap-On tools. The web-page doesn't work for France, you have to call up the distributor and talk to them in person. We had a bit of a communication problem and instead of getting 2 items I got 24 or so items in the mail -- and instead of a bill in the few hundred euro range I got a bill for about 7000 euros. :eek1

I managed to get the excess tools back to Snap-On, and thankfully they only billed me for the tools I kept. Whew.