Only In Mexico....

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Arte, Sep 5, 2010.

1. CrazyBrad

CrazyBrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everything in Latin America if it isnt nailed down its gone. Dont leave your helmets hanging on the Bike. It wont be there when you come back. Hahaha
    Nttra likes this.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    An overgeneralization to be sure. Cities, yes but there are lots of small towns where you could leave your entire kit on the bike over night and nothing would be touched. I live in one.
    Who stole your apostrophes?
  3. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    Its meant as a caution for Bikers that venture into Latin America. In the US that doesnt happen. It never happened to me. The local Bikers in Latin America warned me not to do that.
  4. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    Apostrophes????
  5. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The plumbing IS nailed down though, that`s what gets me! Well now it`s nailed and caged, so I guess that`s better :D

Don`t be mean, Mr TC, I like the apostrophe free version. It saves a couple grams of pixels while also making the post more compact and easier to pack.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    In more populated areas it is common for thieves to pull the copper wiring from empty houses. (sometimes it is the previous owner/renter) Plumbing pipe is mostly plastic now but they used to take that too.
  7. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    I have travelled thousands of miles in Mexico. I've parked in hotel lobbies, motel courtyards, auto parts store (at Irma's) and many times out on the street. In March in an old man brain fart moment, I left my bike in the hotel parking garage in Zacatecas, right by the street, with the key in the ignition and all bags unlocked for 2 days. I have never had anything taken or my bike disturbed on any of my Mexico excursions. Of course a little common sense is advisable. Two years ago, here in Albuquerque, in a parking lot fronted by big box stores and a bank with a security guard patrolling out front my trailer and KDX 220 dirt bike were stolen in broad daylight. The trailer was recovered nearby but I've never seen the bike again. So you never know.
    Cal, SkizzMan, jimmex and 2 others like this.
  8. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    Then you have been very lucky in Latin America then. I know being a Marine Corps Veteran you must always be on your A game where ever you go. Especially in your own backyard!
  9. Nttra

Nttra My english is not very good looking

Oddometer:
    In case of explosion....[​IMG]
    going south and damasovi like this.
  10. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only things I have lost to ladrones in Mexico over 25 years of riding down there multiple times a year are: a velcro handlebar bag with a few dozen pesos in it in S.L. Potosi and a helmet I carelessly left on my bike while checking into Posada San Augustin in Durango.
    going south likes this.
  11. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    Hey iam a Chicano from California i can say that!
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    You can and you did. And it was kinda douchey.
    knight likes this.
  13. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep.

Also, a gross exaggeration.
  14. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    Its the truth. But its the Goverment that makes the people that way. I love my Latino Brothers But i know how it is. If that makes me douchy in Anglos eyes so be it!
  15. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    Now lets move on and talk about ridin Guys!
  16. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Somebody doesn’t seem to understand how much of Latin America IS Anglo. And has been for centuries. I’m talking northern Mexico to Peru to Bolivia, Chile, Argentina and everywhere in between. My Coahuila friend, Olegario, with whom I had dinner last week, Anglo. My college roommate’s wife from Monterrey, Anglo. The Venezuelans I helped with a flat tire at MotoGP, Anglo. My Peruano co-worker, Anglo. And on, and on....

So, yes, let’s MOVE ON.
  17. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    How was your Trip Skizzman? Saw your pics. Looked like Fun?
  18. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I’ve been posting it on IMS? thread.
  19. CrazyBrad

Oddometer:
    I am asking you personally
  20. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding to a friends house yesterday in the south of Mexico City when the traffic was funnelled into a police check point. The car in front of me was flagged to pull over but he kept driving right past the cop. A second cop then stepped in from of the car and again waved him down. The car proceeded to push the cop out of the way and just kept driving, refusing to stop. The cop shrugged his shoulders and flagged down the car behind me. I can't imagine someone doing that in the USA or Canada and the cops turning a blind eye. I passed the car a little later and it was a couple with a two kids in the back seat. What a great example to set for your kids