Ontario Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ooobah-Moto, Nov 17, 2008.

1. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    Relax?

If she ain't good enough for you, she's light years away from being good enough for me..... :D
  2. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    <o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Please consider the following...<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The event 'RallyRaid' a few of us Ontario Adventure Riders have been working on lately is coming together nicely... in doing so, we've come to the conclusion that we will need to purchase third party liability insurance for each rider in the event + we (as the organizing crew) will need to be incorporated, so as to be considered - limited liability.<o:p></o:p>
    Henceforth, the opportunity exists for us to register the name: Ontario Adventure Riders as an incorporated entity with limited liability. Having done so, we then join the Motorcycle Club of Canada via their one time fee of $50 - this is the group rate, individual fees do not apply. As such, there is no "club" fee.<o:p></o:p>
    These two steps create an entity which allows for "organized group rides" where limited liability is ever-present; full due diligence, in terms of safety, still applies.<o:p></o:p>
    The advantage of taking these steps allows for new people to join our rides where no-one is held responsible for damages. I know, it sounds auspicious, however in the court of law -limited liability- can make the difference between the plaintiff&#8217;s insurance company taking possession of all your assets or the incorporated organization's assets - which, in this case, there will be none (since there's no fee to 'join').<o:p></o:p>
    Now, without making this a political battleground, I would argue that under "group ride" circumstances, there be absolutely no fee. Neither would there be a fee to join our 'community'. However, if events such as RallyRaid were to be organized, it's inevitable that a fee will apply.<o:p></o:p>
    HAVE SAID ALL THIS...... we have an opportunity to ascertain limited liability as a group - over and above that, we can make an oath to forego fee's + any and all organizational matters (however, by law, we're still required to produce financial statements + hold an annual meeting).<o:p></o:p>
    Conversely, we can forego this option and the crew organizing RallyRaid will incorporate under an entirely different name (RallyRaid <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> makes sense I guess).<o:p></o:p>
    Please understand that I'm bringing this opportunity to light given the current circumstances facing the organizing crew of RallyRaid - as incorporation is absolutely necessary. Therefore, I think it's fair we consider this option. I have absolutely no qualm's about using an entirely different name with respect to being incorporated.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    FYI, the event will be not-for-profit - in true spirit of Ontario Adventure Riders.<o:p></o:p>
    Personally, I consider all of you my friends and love our impromptu rides. I also welcome newcomers but hate to think someone could sue me for misconduct or whatever other bullshit a lawyer could dream up. Having said that, I rather incorporate the group organizing RallyRaid as something other than O.A.R. (i.e. RallyRaid <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region></st1:place>). Thus curtailing any and all potential political issues some of you are quixotically apprehensive about.<o:p></o:p>
    If we plan a big organized ride, we can post an online disclaimer stating that the ride is being organized by RallyRaid <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Canada</st1:place></st1:country-region> - at least that covers the asses of those whom are organizing the ride + route (which I think is fair game).<o:p></o:p>
    Are we in agreement... or does anyone vehemently want us to incorporate Ontario Adventure Riders?<o:p></o:p>
    [FONT=&quot]Michael[/FONT]
  3. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    That's what you need to do, Mike.

ADV Riders and the Canada forums have absolutely nothing to do with your little rally raid venture.

It's actually pretty disingenuous of you to suggest a connection.

imho,
    Lawrence
  4. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    :zilla good morning sunshine.

P.S. I hardly think providing riders with an event geared towards adventure style riding is non-congruent.
    Plus, it's not-for-profit + environmentally conscious.

Give me a break L-Dog. :smooch
  5. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Who loves you, baby?

:smooch
  6. doughy

Oddometer:
    Isn't this place that brings everyone together to be able to go on the rides? Where we post reports? Pics? the whole deal of the adventure we just went on? Lornce don't go straight to the negative thought on this, play devils advocate, not the devil incarnate. This community is amazing, and so many people are interested in getting out on rides thus this is their gateway to learn about these events. This place is also where we all talk about the "ride" or get help and knowledge from each other. All that is being suggested here is some personal protection nothing more. It's scary to think someone's S/O can hold us finacially responsible on a personal level just because we put together a route, a good time and someone got hurt. It's still a "non club" club. But at least now it will allow us to open the door to more people without fear of getting our asses handed to us by some bay street lawyer..
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Following on to this, you really better get permission from Baldy if you're going to do any linkage with this site. He owns the rights for starters, and since this is a hobby thing for him, were I in his shoes I wouldn't want to be opening any avenues which might lead to legal action.

You probably don't remember the Pep incident, but in a nutshell, Baldy had the Secret Service knocking on his door while he was having supper with his family, because of Pep. That was not pleasant I'm sure, so you'll have to understand if he's leery of any 'official' connections with his pastime.

Also, as soon as you start charging for this, or setting up an organization, from what I've seen you'll get bounced to Vendors, which will lose you geographical coverage for potential riders. Let's face it: Do you look in Vendors for local rides? I know I don't.
  8. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:

Shit... I could actually read that.

Well said my friend!

:freaky
  9. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    I agree...

Alas, a thread where people can discuss the event isn't out of the question - i.e. the Rally Connex - P2D event thread. Correct?!!!
  10. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    shiiiiiiat J the man is wearing one of my shirts!!!!
    freaking awesome, now I gotta get you a replacement RobbieO!

trimming uber-wings
  11. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    :scratch.... why?

Because I'm not voting for creating a "club" + not in favor of incorporating Ontario Adventure Riders.... for leaving alone the sanctity of what we've collectively contributed to and have nurtured into an awesome group of people.

Read my post again please - I think you're confused.

Agreed, it's long winded.... should have just said we're incorporating as a completely separate entity.
    Could have avoided all of this "club" shit again.

Moving on.
  12. doughy

Oddometer:
    Yes people please remember Uber was only asking out of pure and simple respect for all your opinions. It was only a suggestion to use Ontario Adventure riders. If it wasn't agreed upon by all then we wouldn't in any way move forward with the idea of incorporating Ontario Adventure Riders. The post was only to ask perrmission out of complete respect for all you guys.

Without this turning into a massive jab and stab, since even one is against it, it's not going to move forward. Ontario Adventure Riders will stay EXACTLY as it has been.

No how about some cookies? :evil
  13. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Uber bro - I didn't mean it that way just that your efforts sometimes go unappreciated...

I agree and aplaud you for posting this on here as it is clear you are trying to make things easier for folks in the future when it comes to dealing with issues around organizing rides.

And I will say whatever does end up being created will be an entity that will only benefit OAR with more organized rides.

Your wings get clipped by others undeservedly sometimes so I figured I would give it a go this time...however you deserve better then that buddy.

it is actually nice that you are putting it up for public discussion and comments - very Gang like of you

I would have just made one and said hey now we have an entity we can use for insurance purposes for our rides.

gluing feathers back on Uber wings
  14. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Redbull gives you wings!!

:webers
  15. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of a club, we can all get matching pet vests.

Walk around like we're cool....like we belong. :lol3

[​IMG]
  16. KLRUSERIOUS?

Oddometer:
  17. KLRUSERIOUS?

Oddometer:
    Maybe even Harper will join us

[​IMG]
  18. MTRhead

MTRhead HOLYSHIFT!!!

Oddometer:

Wow, sounds like this has been well thought out.......
  19. NoExit

NoExit NoProblem

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll bite. Who's Pep and what did he do? :ear
  20. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Uber:

We've already gone down this road before and the answer was a resounding "Hell NO" from site admins.

You can do whatever you want with Rally Raid, but don't link it to this site.

Any event that charges money for an organized ride, such as Rally Connex, RallyRaid, Edelweiss, or whatever else MUST be posted in Vendors, be it for profit or not.

We let the last Rally Connex thread regarding the P2D event slide here, but I was told by site admins, in the future, such threads will be moved from RF: Canada. I believe Osteo was also contacted and told of this.

Furthermore, if you are looking to incorporate to cover your butt from legal action, you cannot expose this site to any form of liability by using it as your home base to organize your rides. You can establish your own Rally Raid website and post your upcoming events on it, then pimp your site through your sig line and a thread in Vendors.

Unfortunately, in this litigious society, we all have to cover our asses.
    As you may recall, Baldy et al. did not want you to use the ADVrider.com name on banners or business cards at the most recent bike show, where liability is at a minimum. Now, imagine the kind of exposure we could face if you use this site to organize a ride that results in a mishap, and the irate participant signs on with an ambulance chasing lawyer who basically sues everyone involved, and especially pursues the ones he perceives of having the deepest pockets.

As site admins and mods, we do our best to protect this site from such exposure and I will be bringing this issue to the attention of Baldy et al.

I commend your enthusiasm and your dedication to the sport. You have organized some very entertaining and challenging rides but as you quickly found out, the moment you become an organized entity, you have to let the lawyers put their hands in your pocket.