Ontario Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ooobah-Moto, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that was the case.

When I was running BYOB's, I saw this on R1100Rick's thread about Eastern Rendezvous and thought it was a good idea, so I copied it as well for BYOB's:

That's where my comments were stemming from. Last one I ran, we had somebody die on their way home after the event. Real shame. Now if I had organized a ride, and that had happened, it's entirely possible that I could have been sued for it. Read the papers, it happens. That's THE reason I didn't do it once I was in charge. It's also why I rarely ride with anyone anymore. I had one family all in my shit once after their son got hurt on a Sunday ride.

Riding is not without its dangers. Shit happens.

It's when the Monday morning quarterbacks get ahold of it that it gets nasty.
  2. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Check your PM's.
  3. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:

10-4 captain.

No worries... Ontario RallyRaid will be kept to the vendors forum, if that.
  4. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Back in '98, BMW came out with this weapon called the K1200RS. Twas a niche bike but a loyal following developed.

A buddy created precursor to today's bbs using Lotus notes and K12 riders from sea to sea became buds.

A few of us started getting together for small forays. We did VT, The BlueRidge, Deals Gap, shit like that. Lots of road crime at warp 11. We posted ride reports and had good laughs. In fact Chris (aka Baldy) was a member and he rode his K12 down to Mexicalla land and did an awesome photo essay of the trip (the seed for advrider).

Soon we started having noobs showing up at our lil rides. Our get together on the BRP went from 10-12 bikes to 150 plus in two years.

Then guys we didn't even know started crashing, in over their heads, off into the tumble weeds trying to keep up with seasoned vets. Broken bikes and wrecked bodies.

The fun was gone. We worried about sharks trying to take a bite out of us. No room for lawdogs in scooter riding. So the core bailed on the whole gig.

Michael, don't make that happen on our lil rides.

DW
  5. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    I have been following this discussion with some interest. I have been involved with a number of motorcycle clubs over the years. Most are now gone many just because of the problems that have been described here as well as losing most of the areas that we could use to have an off road event. Sad bloody times we live in. It used to be much simpler and easy, no one ever got sued, even though we did have a few crashes. One would expect in an event that had some level of competition that you might fall off the odd time.
  6. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Maybe all these organized rides are not such a good idea.

From what I hear, there was a huge amount of interest in our booth at the show... = more people showing up here = more people coming on our rides = potentially more problems.

"that's why I ride alone now" - Drift

Well.... if I can do anything about it.... I'm keeping my level of enthusiasm/organization in check. The dozen or so guys who frequent this end of the forum and come on the rides... that's what I look forward to the most.

Coolin the jets...

ML.
  7. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I need to pipe up here or risk head explosion.
    There seems to be a misunderstading about this whole thing that Michael was trying to initiate.
    I fully agree with Rum about this taking the fun out of our little rides, but the problem being our rides are not little anymore.........
    Like he said turning a ride with 10 friends to a 150 uknown rider mayhem is a sure recipe for disaster.
    It would be sad to see this turn to shit, it is a gateway of sorts into what we want to do best-RIDE-
    The reason we took the time to introduce ourselves in public was to give people another choice of riding and from the feedback we got back we were extremely succesful.
    No we didn't advertise or affiliate to ADVrider as per se, but did divert people to this site that is a wealth of information on Adventure riding.
    No literature, no paperwork, no fancy cards, just volunteers that took time out of their busy personal lives to promote this.
    Personally, this site has changed my life.
    It is directly responsible for my bike purchase and maintenance, the amazing number of people I've met within one year, all the fun times that we've had being ADVriders.
    I must comment Baldy for turning a small trip to Mexico to the International disease that is ADVrider. I will support this site to the fullest whether donating or volunteering my time to make people aware of its beauty.

As for being liable for other peoples lives while organizing some fun rides, that is just something that we'll have to discuss when the time comes.

Let the Lawyers Lie and the Riders Ride.

Alex out
  8. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    Certainly this doesn't mean we aren't going to get :ymca vests...does it?
  9. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I'll take the one with the Rose :evil (over my Leatt):dood
  10. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:

ONLY one for you......
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. KLRUSERIOUS?

Oddometer:
    Goody! Can we get blue ones to match the maple leafs colours?

[​IMG]
  13. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    :huh....KLRUSERIOUS.... Halloween's over, take the costume off!

P.S...... can I borrow it!??
  14. KLRUSERIOUS?

Oddometer:
    Depends when you need it for....I have a gay Tuesday coming up and there is the Toronto pride parade this summer. But I might go with the buttless chaps for that.
  15. doughy

Oddometer:

KLRSERIOUS..... whats with the majority of your post being slanderous towards homosexuals? Trying to divert some attention? Most homophobes are indeed repressed homoesexuals that are just filled with anger because of their bent up sexual desire for men that only gets lived out in their minds. You should see someone about that. It's ok dude, we live in times of acceptence.
  16. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Thanks R, missed that one.

You know, I worked the show Friday until 1830. Very common question was asking if we were a club.

My off the cuff answer the first time was "We're not a club, we're just a bunch of guys who like to ride."

I thought about the exchange afterwards, and that it was apt. Stuck with it for the rest of the show.

Guess it really was apt. :lol3
  17. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb

Correct me if Im wrong here but OAR came about because ADVrider could not be used at the show there had to be a name...hence we have OAR. My hats off to Uber for his enthusiasm to organize rides but I dont think it was ever his intention to create an organized club. We dont need it. If you doubt that, just look at how many people showed up at the spring ride in Hockley in 07 and how many showed up for the fall ride this year...WOW. I think the display at the show served its purpose and made more people aware that we're out there and that the're welcome to join us. Period.

For those that feel the need for an organized club...go for it, but as Rummy says, be careful what you wish for as it may not be as fun as you had hoped. In my experience, the best rides are often the impromtu ones that just sort of come about. I personally would rather ride with 4 good friends than with 40 "Club Members"

Happy Riding!:ricky
  18. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:

Team Kaboom forever!
  19. doughy

Oddometer:

FIXT

:D

Only cause I am left out of your team Kaboom club............

:amazon

:lol3
  20. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'd let you join....but you need an ORANGE upgrade.:evil

(not that we're elitist at all :lol3 )

Seeing as Tag has fallen off the map, there is a spot open....:D (some conditions apply, see Uber for details)