Ontario Advice

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Cosmo_Kramer, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Cosmo_Kramer

Cosmo_Kramer n00b

Oddometer:
    Leaving out on my first extended trip this weekend and was hoping there might be a few here that could give me some good layovers and sidetrips. My path will take me out of Detroit to Port Huron and over the border to Ontario. My plan was to do a small counterclockwise tour. My first destination was Niagara Falls, haven't been there since I was a kid so I thought I'd check out the waterworks again.

Next, I planned on heading north thru the Bruce Peninsula. My great grandparents lived there and I thought it would be nice to re-visit some family roots. After that I guess I'm going where the wind blows me. Thought I might check out Manitoulin Island, etc. but nothing set in stone. I've given myself about six days to complete my adventure. So, are there any suggestions or things I can't go without seeing? Appreciate the advice and thanks for looking in.
  2. 1200GSCanuck

1200GSCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would get thru Manitoulin as quickly as possible, head for Sault St. Marie, then north along Hwy 17 thru Lake Superior Provincial park...awesome run, all the way to Thunder Bay, if you have the time. If cheesie is your thing, you will be OK with Niagara, but it's nothing more than an overhyped tourist trap with gridlocked highways to and from. If you'r into natural beauty/awesome scenery/open roads, head for Superior, pass on the Falls.
  3. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

+1

There's some picture I posted in this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3021352#post3021352

I also intend to do a ride report in the area soon, which will include a gpx
    file with all the waypoints for these places in it.

Too many people pass through my area, never get off the highway,
    and miss everything.
  4. vexorg

vexorg This User Title For Rent

Oddometer:
    Where is that first pic taken? I've been to the second one (can't remember its name right now, but I have pics just like that one), and I'm pretty sure the third one is Kakabeka Falls. And where is that suspension bridge?
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    First pic is from the far end of Ouimet Canyon.

The second one is at Eagle Canyon. That picture was on the small bridge,300 feet) the last time I was there , the big bridge (600 feet) was down for maintenance.
    Here's a link:

http://www.eaglecanyonadventures.ca/bridge.asp

There's also hundreds of kilometers of abandoned rail line you can ride around here... the old bridges on them are pretty freaky though, you can look down between your tires, and of course, no railings!

There's another place called Mosier mountain (just north of Nipigon) that is exhilarating to ride to, and has some pretty breathtaking vertical drops. No railings, and you clinging to the side of the Mount all the way up!
  6. 1200GSCanuck

1200GSCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to load the GS on my truck, trailer a couple of kayaks along as well, and just let 'er rip for the month of august