ONTARIO ADVrider: FALL COLORS RIDE 2008

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ooobah-Moto, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    The key diffs are:

New version has improved front brake and front forks, much needed.

Old version is more crashable cause new one has a real upper fairing that shrouds around the tank, making it more fragile looking and prolly more pricey to fix.

New swingarm and shock supposed to work better, but that wasn't as important as the front end improvements, nor as noticeable.

Some same new seat not as comfy as old (very subjective, that one).

Better throttle response and a bit more power, but you can get the same out of an older one, the lump is the same.

If it were my money and I was jonesing for one, I'd buy a late 90's one for $2500, drop a k or so to upgrade the little stuff like front brake, new fork springs and a brace, pipe and a jet kit. Both bikes need real barkbusters, crashbars, and bash plates for offroading, so that's equal on either.

Then dump remaining difference in price into the gas tank and ride the shit out of it. Good fun. :ricky
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    That's kind of the way I'm thinking, too.

I've already got a 4-piston brembo laying around I could mod to suit. Cheap 400watt stators are available. Wow, real cheap:huh. That's a nice bonus when you start adding heated grips and vests and etc.

I'll bet it'd be real easy to mount a scabbard to the side to hold an M14, too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283412

Hmmmn...
  3. KLRARP

KLRARP Lookin for a way out

Oddometer:
    Good for you Uber! Always cover Y A!

Food for thought:
    I was asked by Lornce on Saturday morning if I had a fat head from Friday night. Ya, I did. Like MAJOR headache that lasted all day. Didn't drink that much beer I kept thinking. Just didn't feel right on the bike.
    Played hockey Sunday night and had to leave the ice 15 mins. in with bad chest pain. Have had a few pains in the last 4 weeks. Coles notes version goes like this:
    Hospital Monday at about 11:00 am
    Home by 7:30 that night with some news of a heart attack in the near past
    Hospital appointment Wednesday for Cardiac Catheterization and adhoc Angioplasty ( put a stent in a main artery in my heart that was 100% blocked) Quote from a guy in the hospital "Hey young fella, you have a heart attack? Doc ______ will take care of you.
    Me: Ya, guess so. Doctors did a great job - wife's a bit pissed with me though.
    Home today by 11:00 - Piece of cake (which I can't ever have again)

Lornce, as for the head work etc... on the KLR. Ya you could fiddle with it but I don't know if it is worth it. IF you had lots of time, maybe ya. I don't have time with 3 young kids and everything else.

EDIT: Once you have the motor sorted out you still have to do something about the brakes and suspension because they are dodgy at best. You are lookin' at spendin' some dough anyway you slice it!

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES SO THAT YOU CAN ALWAYS RIDE ANOTHER DAY!
    RIDING IS LIFE!
  4. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:

:huh... you had a heart attack... but didn't feel it happen?!?!
    (as a interpreted it)

Well, it's good to know you're okay. Scary thought though, to know something like that happened - without any warning.
  5. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Alex,

We're glad to hear the doctors caught it before things got worse. You're in good hands if my experience is anything to go by.

Diet and exercise, buddy. Diet and exercise. We're killing ourselves with the typical western diet. Lipitor is your friend.

Get well and keep well. We need you around for lots more riding and apres riding fun. (this is the guy I told you guys about with the rapier wit. He's funny:deal).

best regards,
    Lawrence and his heart stents
  6. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Man! Heartattack! Crazy!

Alex seems like a good thing though, you must be strong.
    My grandfather had a heartattack like that, they found out he had one years later at a hospital, he just rememeber feeling real crappy that day.

Still man good to hear you are ok and that the docs have cought it.
    Besides your generousity I don't know much about you
    but please keep well man, we still need to ride together.
  7. The Vert

The Vert Banned

Oddometer:
    At least he's not wearing it backwards or sideways. Good call.:thumb
  8. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    That's the best part... the beak is held on via toothpicks.... you can mount it any which way...... bro!!!
  9. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alex!
    Heart attack?!! Holy crap. Glad you are on the mend - hope to see you riding again real soon.

L
  10. The Vert

The Vert Banned

Oddometer:
    GET BACK!!! I DID NOT KNOW THAT!!!! SIGN ME UP!!!:rofl
    What's the difference between a beak and a peak?

Freekin peekin and beekin,
    Berni
  11. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    holly shit Alex,
    I thought I was doing bad.
    My first mini stroke was for my thirtieth birthday, followed by a mild heart attack. Now that's living life to the fullest...:bubba
    Glad you're doing good man, like Lornce said, diet, exercise, diet exerscise........
    Or in my case, caffeine, nicotine, thc, excorsism, repeat daily.
    Fuck this if I'm gonna go, I'm going on my terms.........
    Keep well brother. :thumb
    :lobby
  12. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:

Alex glad your ok. But wow dude, eats some greens.... I know it's hard, I am in the same boat, my four food groups are Bacon, Steak, cheese, ribs.
    I hear cheerios are good! lol.

And Diablo? WTF? a heart issue at 30? DUDE!!! WOW, and here I was thinking " shit Alex still smokes, he seems healty enough I should be fine!... There goes that... Thanks.
  13. The Vert

The Vert Banned

Oddometer:
    What's with all this health scare mongering. I don't wanna die yet, I'm still working on my personal mass centrilization program and my custom made three chin strap helmet is on order.

Rub a tub tub,
    Berni
  14. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    :rofl :poser :oscar :beer
    Berni, you rock man.
  15. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Geez Alex! I'm finding living healthy is so freaking tough these days... I feel for ya. Glad the Doc caught you when he did! All my words of encouragement go out to you... need help? I/we are all here for ya! Cheers, DRU/Andrew
  16. The Vert

The Vert Banned

Oddometer:
    Tanks.
  17. waterlilly

waterlilly No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer:
    Food for thought:
    I was asked by Lornce on Saturday morning if I had a fat head from Friday night. Ya, I did. Like MAJOR headache that lasted all day. Didn't drink that much beer I kept thinking. Just didn't feel right on the bike.
    Played hockey Sunday night and had to leave the ice 15 mins. in with bad chest pain. Have had a few pains in the last 4 weeks. Coles notes version goes like this:
    Hospital Monday at about 11:00 am
    Home by 7:30 that night with some news of a heart attack in the near past
    Hospital appointment Wednesday for Cardiac Catheterization and adhoc Angioplasty ( put a stent in a main artery in my heart that was 100% blocked) Quote from a guy in the hospital "Hey young fella, you have a heart attack? Doc ______ will take care of you.
    Me: Ya, guess so. Doctors did a great job - wife's a bit pissed with me though.
    Home today by 11:00 - Piece of cake (which I can't ever have again)

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES SO THAT YOU CAN ALWAYS RIDE ANOTHER DAY!
    RIDING IS LIFE![/

WoW Take care of Yourself, Alex sorry to hear your news, but it is better to know that the problem exist than not,
    Life is short so do the right thing and live it to the fullest.
    But in the process follow the Dr's oders for a bit.
  18. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    Damn! My sympathies.

Nice to meet you, and a big thanks for giving Todd a lift. I know it was way out of your way.

Any chance you can convince your wife that work caused the health problem, but cycles and hockey helped you to pull through?

Get well so we can ride again. :ricky
  19. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:

:eek2

Holy Shit Alex I hope you feel better soon. Cake is overated anyway.

Get yourself healthy and come ride again soon I really enjoyed your company.
  20. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Okay.... back to Kushbog lake rd.

Lornce , RumRunner (et. all),

While ripping through the corners on Kushbog Lake Rd. I found myself yearning for more more speed in the corners. Lornce & Rummy, since you guys were behind me, maybe you could offer some insight.

In days gone by, while autocross racing my BMW's, I would balance the car through the corners with the suspension loaded - teetering on the ragged edge. On the bike, I haven't quite yet achieved that sensation (on pavement!).

Could it be that I haven't found the limits of traction or is it a lean angle thing. I was moving around on the bike - but maybe not enough?!

I've also had a chance to drive a Porsche in a spirited fashion, the key to which is "slow in, fast out". It kinda felt like I was riding the bike as such.

Using the "100%" analogy - If I'm braking, ~90% of my traction is directed towards the front tire. Thus, completing most of my braking before the corner is essential b/c an increased lean angle reduces available traction. I know it's a "feel" thing as to how much braking needs to be completed before the corner, and how much speed you can carry through the corner.

Now here's the thing, I could feel my rear end getting very light coming into the corners - indicating I was near the limit of the braking/traction barrier. But I also felt like I could carry more speed in the corner?!?!?!

From car racing, there's something called trail-braking; does this type of technique apply to motorbikes?!

.....I really need some track time eh!?

You should see me in a shifter kart.... now those things are a blast!!!!! :lol3