1. eNewsletter Sign Up

ONTARIO ADVrider: FALL COLORS RIDE 2008

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ooobah-Moto, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Michael,

The kind of riding you're describing belongs on the track, not the road. If you've got a hankering to go that fast you need to sign up for some track days.

Best motorcycling bargain going, imho.

Is Pro-6 still in the game? They used to offer excellent, safe and well organized track days at Mosport, Cayuga and Shannonville. I'll guess they may even offer them at Calabogine, now too, if they're still in the game.

Call them up and find out.

If I were you I'd see if they can point you in the direcftion of Mosport's Rider Development Circuit. It's more of a tight SuperMoto type course layed out on a hillside. Very good technical training site where the speeds are lower and technical skills are more finely honed. Sort of like carting is to motor racing.

Mosport's main track isn't a very good training ground, imho. Only thing you'll learn there is hopefully how not to die in Turn 2. It's too big, fast and deathly serious a place for learning the basics of brake control, throttle control and ultimate traction balance etc. IMHO. Go to Mosport once you're comfortable with the basics of "the extreme" on a slower, less technically demanding circuit. IMHO.

Again, the type of riding you're talking about needs to be explored on the relative safety of the track, not public roads. :nono

On the track you'll have more fun than you ever thought possible on a motorcycle. And you'll go much faster than you've ever been before.

It'll actually calm your impulse to try going fast on the street because you'll realize how lame and relatively slow (not to mention dangerous!) street riding is compared to a good, fast track session.

You've got a pretty remarkable skill set on a motorcycle, young Uber. You should be on a track developing them. :deal

Talk nice to Robbie-O and join him for a day on the SuperMoto course up in Bracebridge. We talked about this before, but I think you should get yourself a modern MX bike with a set of dirt wheels, ice tires and supermoto wheels and ride the thing every chance you get.

You'll only get faster. Don't go getting a big head, but with your aggression, intelligence and analytical skill you would get very fast.

IMHO,
    Lornce
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Just my two cents worth on that from years of riding BMW's amongst guys with sport bikes. You need to keep corner speed up. I like fast in and fast out like 125 GP bikes do. I hate guys who slow down and then whack the throttle on their 1100 cbgsrx coming out of a corner. Makes passing a real timing thing. If you feel you can carry more speed then brake before turning in to keep traction levels up and go for it.
  3. Gravel Traveler

Gravel Traveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once the back wheel comes off the ground you are just using the front wheel for 100% of your braking, but that does not mean you are at the braking or traction limit, just means you didn't pull the lever in smooooooth enough, you transfered the weight to your traction wheel too fast.

When you take the FASST course they will tell you not to worry about using the back brake at all.

Now you have 2 choices, calm down the chassis and balance out your weight distribution and turn into the corner, or stay on the front brake to keep the back end light, crank on some throttle and back her in dirt track style, either way to find the limits you will probably crash. That's why we have track days, for a few bucks you get all these things

1) lots of run out in the corners
    2) everyone going the same direction
    3) medical staff standing by

When you dual sport a 9X0 you need to be good at both, tip her in easy on the asphalt, but back her in on the gravel so you don't wash out the front end. If you come ice riding with us this winter you'll learn how to back her in!! Adam.
  4. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:

:D Yup, you don't know where the line is till you cross it a few times

here's a good quote I always though was perfect for bikes:

Where do you stop?
    "Only those who will risk going too far
    can possibly find out how far one can go."

T.S. Eliot
    1888-1965, Poet and Critic
  5. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:

Last Sunday was really my first time ever opening the throttle up that much (on pavement). And did I ever have a blast, but it also made me realize I'm still very much at the bottom end of the learning curve.

You're right about taking it to the track. That's what I did with my cars - can't believe how much I picked-up. In fact, I started out on the Driver Development Track at Mosport. I agree, with you... it's technical and the best place to build your skill set. The big track really only tests your peak HP (back stretch) and the size of your yaya's (turn 2).

I really like the 450's (KTM / CRF / KXF), something like that with three wheel set's (supermoto, dirt and ice) would be the hot ticket.

However, in the end... I'm not making a career out of racing; had my chance in skiing, mountain bikes, cars ect.. but it's just a hobby. The best part for me is the people... nothing beats the company of like minded racers/divers/riders. :thumb
  6. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Try Calabogie's new track, very tight and technical, up, down and around with lots of decreasing radius corners, you don't have to go super fast to have lots of fun. Way better than Shannonville. Team Pro Motion has days there as well as the Ottawa Safety Council
  7. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    ... I was talking to Hans (GS Mack) about that track. He said he'll never race there - too dangerous. The coping is close to the track = no run off! Nevertheless, I agree... I've heard it's a fun track (if you don't crash).

Having said that, I would love to try Nuremberg Ring someday. Probably in a car at first (a Porsche GT3!?!??! :evil).
  8. KLRARP

KLRARP Lookin for a way out

Oddometer:
    +1 for Gravel Traveler!

Not sure about where the mass sits on a big KTM (up high or low) but once you get it going the wrong way (fast brake and unweight the back tire) inertia is not your friend.
    If you want to really push the envelope, you will need to spend some time on the mechanical side of things. Suspension setup is muy importante when you want to go fast.
  9. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    :nah ... if yer aiming that high, its GT2 baby :evil :D
  10. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Yup... one of my all time favorites! Tuned, one of those baby's can put down 750bhp!

I wonder if I'd crash it... at least the GT3 (club sport ed.) comes with a roll cage!!!
  11. KLRARP

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to pitch that line of thinking but I don't know if she is goin' for it.:wink:
    Maybe I can also try the whole mid-life, never know when you're gonna go speech and pull a new bike outta this.:lol3

Good thing I didn't go along on Sunday. Watching Uber ride would have put me in the ground.:huh

Thanks to all for the kind and encouraging words.
  12. KLRARP

Oddometer:
    I'll go out on a limb here... YES:D
  13. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    :bluduh ya... I agree.

Hey, guess how many speeding tickets I've had since 16!!! :evil
  14. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    meh, whats a quarter mill between friends :huh :lol3
  15. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Micheal, it's too much typing to try and teach or learn how to be fast in a forum like this. I rode behind you and Lornce for most of the day but my head was elsewhere as Alex and I were up till 3am Fri/Sat solving all the worlds problems:freaky :strum so it makes it hard for me to comment on your style on Sat.

A few things, as other have said, it's a road, not a track so track technique is pretty much out the window as you can not use proper lines with out eventually becoming a hood ornament. Suffice it to say we are not even close to using up the available traction in street riding (on clean tarmac) so the key is smooth transitions and corner speed.

Do this, read this http://www.fjrowners.ws/pace.html This is how we should be riding on the street. It makes for a great run, it's safe and puts an emphasis on absolute bike control.

DW
  16. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Good read Darren!.... it's worthy of being a sticky!!!!
  17. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    ADVrider Track day anyone? :D
  18. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Hell ya..... but who's going to organize it? :augie
  19. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    No offence to Hans but I'll disagree about it being dangerous. It had lots of run-off room where I crashed :eek1 The danger is in the crazy decreasing radius corners. It actually takes a few visits to get the flow down. Friends of mine who are expert class racers came with me one day and loved it. It was designed by Alan Wilson, the same guy wo did Barber and others and is famous for his tracks. Here's a link so you can have a look see.

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/
  20. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    To the guys who ride in The Parts Canada Superbike Series, they tell me that there are areas of Calabogie that are very dangerous.
    Did anyone watch the 600 race where Chris Peris tried to climb the hill?