Ontario Bon Echo Area

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Yeffer, Jul 18, 2019.

1. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    This was literally when I got home, I got off lucky.

Attached Files:

Smashy likes this.
  2. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I took White Boundary Rd from hwy 503 to Salmon Lake Rd, then took that to hwy 507. Then I went south on 507 to Pencil Lake Rd. I was gonna take that to Hwy 28, but it was full of puddles which got bigger and deeper as I went, they were covering the whole road with no way of going around them, and as I was wearing my vented street boots and jeans I didn't want to get my feet wet so I turned around and went back. I probably made it about 5 kms down Pencil Lake Rd. Anyone been on that road before? Is it always so wet?
  3. smashley

smashley Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not been down Pencil Lake Road, but it is a Technical Alternate on the TCAT, making me think that it is normally quite bad. I have taken the regular part of the TCAT there (Fire Route 72) a few times and have always encountered deep muddy puddles on that one.
  4. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found some videos of pencil lake rd on youtube and some parts of the road definitely look difficult so it's good I turned back before I crashed or got stuck. I am new to riding off pavement so I don't want to ride anywhere too hardcore. I am looking at google maps and trying to find any other roads in that area that might be fun to explore.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  5. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    Black Creek Road
    Lavant Darling Road
    Flower Station Road

Basically, head towards Calabogie Motorsports Park. Then set the sat nav to Ottawa/Peterborough/Oshawa. All of the GPS routes shall be magic.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  6. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today I went and checked out Old Wagon Rd (Bigwind Lake provincial park area). Same problem as Pencil Lake Rd, I made it several kms down the road but eventually turned around and went back because the puddles kept getting bigger with no way to go around them. I really need to get some kind of tall waterproof boots so I can just go through the middle of a puddle without worrying about stepping in them. The part that I rode was a really fun road.
  7. Oshawa boy

Oshawa boy not a kid anymore

Oddometer:
    I wear motocross boots. They will (kinda) keep my feet dry but many times I've been up to my seat in water or so it seems lol and the boots fill. Nothing to do but press on. I've heard of putting feet in plastic bags but I don't think I will do that.
    gpfan likes this.
  8. BiggRichy

BiggRichy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. BiggRichy

BiggRichy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waterproof socks work amazingly well without the need for Gore Tex boots that are never tall enough for all circumstances.
  10. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm currently researching mx boots, turns out they're almost never waterproof (there are a few that are but they're way too expensive for me, I'm looking to spend about $250 max). Are non-waterproof mx boots still waterproof at least up to the ankle? I certainly don't expect to keep my feet dry if I have to wade through 2 feet of water, but can I at least expect them to keep my feet dry if I have to step in a puddle? Or will even that get my feet wet? I hate wet feet. Wet hands don't bother me too much.
  11. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    It has been my experience that waterproof boots just take longer to dry out.
    EmmEff and Meet@Trudys like this.
  12. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    No boot is waterproof enough IMO. If it's that important, wear chest waders.
    EmmEff likes this.
  13. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning to ride this Saturday August 22-doing a loop from Gilmour (hwy 62/weslemkoon lake road) out to Calabogie and back. I'm riding an XR650 and will be doing mostly easier stuff. Other riders welcome.

Yeffer, I did try and PM you but the system wouldn't allow it for some reason.
  14. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Sidi Adventure Boots and I can attest to the fact that they are waterproof. I have been through driving rain as well as walked in a puddle that was up to my mid shin and never had them leak. That being said they are way more expensive then $250. And they squeek.
    Candubrain likes this.
  15. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Hoser

Oddometer:
    Big ride yesterday looping both of the hydro lines west and northwest of Cloyne. We managed to get a couple Teneres into Merrill Lake, which was damn exhausting to say the least. Crash bars took a beating, and will need some tweaking to get them back in shape. The 250 ruled the day, but these bigger bikes are up for the work.
    B7390463-A437-4BE1-96AA-E2CDFDD08F97.jpeg C8A43D11-5494-4652-831A-D2C93556987F.jpeg 597811CD-1C69-47B1-A77B-CECF57D67814.jpeg A3DF5858-60A9-4398-83DF-1532C4B7068B.jpeg BBF9437F-2D63-4AA6-BC75-8EA5DDDE01CF.jpeg
    gpfan, SSBB and Candubrain like this.
  16. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you got those bars on!
  17. smashley

smashley Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you get there from 41 or Hughes Landing Road? Did you go all the way through?
  18. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does a "no atvs" sign mean no motorcycles too?
  19. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Hoser

Oddometer:
    Came in through Hughes Llanding road via Hwy 41 for the first time - man there is a gem of a curvy paved road right there. It tapers off into a dirt road which is very straight ahead, and will take you through to Weslemkoon Lake Rd. My exit point to Merrill Lake is near the halfway point of this road. We went all the way through in the end then came back across Lingham Lake Road.

To help complete the loop and avoid some highway, you can take Pine View Ridge Road from Weslemkoon Lake Road to Clevland Rd., which is running parallel to Hwy 62.
  20. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Hoser

Oddometer:
    When I am on a street legal bike I tend to look through these signs. No motorized vehicles is the only one I am going to stop for.
    gpfan likes this.