Ontario, Canada Insurance

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ashmaxwell, Mar 6, 2020.

1. ashmaxwell

ashmaxwell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know there are lots of posts on Insurance so I apologize for starting a new one.

My dad will be coming to Canada and purchasing a truck, trailer and Honda 250L for a North American year long road trip.

He is from the UK, British passport and UK licence but will buy the vehicles here in Ontario, Canada and register them here under my address.

The trip will take him +/- 6 months in Canada and then +/- 6 months in the US.

I tried with my own insurance company (I have Canadian Citizenship) and as soon as they heard close to 6 months in the US they weren't interested.

The only lead we have at the minute from various forums is https://www.motorcycleexpress.com/ which we have heard is expensive.

Does anyone know of any insurance options for someone moving between Canada and the US in this fashion - we haven't completed the Motorcycle Express option yet but if anyone has any experience or companies to try that would be great!
  2. shaner1100gs

shaner1100gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of issues for UK riders trying to get insurance in the States and Canada but a Mexican firm has been mentioned a few times. Legit (I've never used them but know someone who has) You'll only know how good they are if you have to make a claim
    http://www.segurogringo.com/
    ashmaxwell likes this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bold statement Boris but it is most probably of little value if the car / bike is registered in Canada .
    Read the red disclaimer statement preceding the Camiones y automoviles segment

This is it
    ""Este servicio es exclusivo para ciudadanos mexicanos o personas que residan permanentemente en México y que manejen automóviles o camionetas particulares. El domicilio en la póliza debe ser de México u Otro país diferente a USA o Canadá. No es válida con domicilio de USA o ""

This insurance is ONLY for MEXICAN CITIZENS and PERSONS WHO RESIDE PERMANENTLY IN MEXICO.
    The DOMICILE country of the applicant must be MEXICO OR ANY COUNTRY WHICH IS NOT THE USA OR CANADA .

If the op - dad lives permanently in England it must be a no- go when the vehicle is registered in Canada or USA >>> no- go

If by some clerical error the insurance was given then any claim would quickly become invalid if non- resident or non citizen status comes to light .

Maxwell , have you asked at CAA? I know they do write in the CAA magazine about issuing insurance for foreign visitors of members.
    ashmaxwell likes this.
  5. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best place would be British Columbia because being on the West Coast between the lower US states and Alaska. BC is very tourist friendly and load of travelers from Europe land here to start their journey. It is easy to buy a motorcyle and there is no hasle to buy insurance which of course is valid in the US.
  6. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't making any sort of statement....just that I know a frequent traveller to the USA (ships his own bike there) who has used them, I am presuming he used the section of the website that specifically states...
    The motorcycle has plates not from USA, Canada or México.
    and from the drop down you can select Eastern Time/Atlantic Time.
    Can be found here.
    https://www.segurogringo.com/Default.aspx?tabid=235&Producto=12&MP=1
  7. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I asked my insurance agent this question for an inmate in Australia who is planning to purchase a motorbike in Canada and ride across Canada and the US next year.

He said they sell insurance to non residents for long term visits - and since it's a "commonwealth" country, the process is the same but easier to approve.

Your father will need to provide proof of driver's permit, and of course the rest of the details for the vehicles.

Ontario insurance covers you for travel to the US, however there are limitations - same as for everyone. If you are to be across the border for an extended period, you may need to secure US insurance as well.
    gpfan likes this.
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Boris ,and Vikingtazz for stating that detail of an insurance company which will write Canada insurance for residents from other British commonwealth residents who are riding bikes brought into Canada from their home.

An Important point stated in the original question by op ashmaxwell , that the vehicles, truck, trailer and bike , would be BOUGHT IN Canada , and registered and insured IN Canada.
    May I state that registry in Canada would negate any claim upon residency in England for insurance purposes .
    :D Lots of statements , aren’t there?:jack