1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ontario - Spring Kick-off Ride!!!!!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ooobah-Moto, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:

Good point... Make an "O" :poser

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  2. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Get a room you two:freaky :amazon

DW
  3. canadian XR

canadian XR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right off the garmin web site.

<table id="playlist" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="even"> <td>Waypoints/favorites/locations: </td> <td>3,000 </td></tr> <tr class="odd"> <td>Routes: </td> <td>50 </td></tr> <tr class="even"> <td>Track log: </td> <td>10,000 points </td></tr></tbody></table>

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=233

Click on specs.

w
  4. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    I think what was in question was the number of points per route. As such, the 276 accepts 300pts/route whereas my 60cx accepts only 50pts/route. However, the 60cx will also hold 50 routes - albeit shorter ones!!
  5. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Yep Uber has it right. It's in my manual as well. I can hold a ton (3,000) of waypoints as individual points. But only 300 in any one specific route. Totally forgot about that and it never crossed my mind that it could be the problem. Once I loaded the two routes Uber broke up for me everything was fine. That in itself made me realize that Bobcat is still a little behind the old mapsource because I have no way to read the number of points in a route. A bit problematic.

Cheers

Fin
  6. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Here's a question for you FinUbergeeks.
    I'm just learning my streetpilot, (It now tells me "You're heading South-West":lol3 ) but why do you need so many "points" if you are just following a straight road?
    Won't you get there without knowing that you go "straight at Bla Bla Road"?
    Just trying to learn....:ear
  7. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:

Hey Robbie

Are you referring to when you autoroute to a set waypoint or end location? Is the gps creating viapoints along a straight road on the way?
  8. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    This might help explain the above if I am reading you right:

"Via points are temporary waypoints that have been added so that you don't have to create waypoints for use during a single trip with very little chance that they would be needed again in the future. Via points are deleted once the route has been completed. Traditional waypoints would not be deleted."

Here's the link I got it from: http://developer.garmin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=516

Cheers

Fin
  9. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    +1 for the old version of Mapsource!

I was talking to Kahoon at lunch today and he told me that the updated version of Mapsource autoroute's kinda funny. It doesn't use hidden via points - instead it uses visable waypoints: causing some confusion when utilizing it on the road. EDIT: After reading RobbieO's post, I see this may explain his problem.

Furthermore, don't even get me started on saving routes and tracks as Version 2 and 3 GDB files. Where converting routes to tracks with the program - WINGGB.EXE - only version 2 GDB files will convert properly, not version 3. Add to that, cutting and pasting sections of route & track properties to different files and you come to realize this more like programming vs. using a simple graphical user interface!!!! Black magic!??!?!:dog

P.S. Can I let everyone in on a little secret!?!??! Coming soon, there will be a new club (so to speak) where a membership includes a subscription to a great magazine, plenty of organized GPS rides, on-line access to a library of surrounding GPS routes/tracks, access to certain policed and maintained trails + a privately owned test track, BBQ/movie/social/guest speaker/tech-session nights, discounts at local moto shops and limited liability insurance. (Oh ya... you get a sticker too!!! :D)

:knary

.......... alright time for another Redbull :1drink
  10. NoExit

NoExit NoProblem

Oddometer:
    Long-time lurker, first time posting: Hope you don't mind if I join y'all for the ride. :kumbaya

The Princes' Gates are about two minutes from where I live, so I'll see you there at 9 a.m. (Look for the tall guy on the white GSA, and beware, 'cause I'll probably be watching the new GPS I just installed instead of the road). :hide

(Fin: I think we have a mutual acquaintance. I work with Tim McKenna at The Globe, but don't hold that against me.)
  11. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Oh you poor, poor man. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 Tim is one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. And he's the funniest. :D We have to meet up. I'll be at the gates too riding a black and red 1150gs. I'll be easy to find cause all the chicks will be ogling me. :bubba

See ya there NENP!

Cheers

Fin

P.S. Whatever he said was untrue and I have served my time... I mean, it was him, not me. :D
  12. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Finubergeeks, my question is more basic.
    You GPS uber-pros will need to dumb it down for a nanosecond.:lol3

When looking at Uber's GPX file, I see a lot of black squares along the route. I'm assuming that these are the "points" you two are speaking about.
    How did they get there? Do they just show up when you plot a route, or did you, Uber, mark them out when you were plotting the route?

Really, I just got the thing to lock onto a Satalite on Wednesday.......Total n00b:eek1
  13. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Hey Robbie

Using mapsource you can use your route tool and create those points as you move along your route. (Clicking as you go) You can create as many or as few as you like. They will disappear when you run your route on the gps. In other words on your gps they are really invisible. If you used your waypoint tool and do the same thing they will not be deleted as you go along and will be searchable on the gps.

Reasoning is, IMHO, that you could make a waypoint for Belfountain and one for your home. They would stay on the gps so you could search for home from no matter where you were. You could use the route tool to create the viapoints for the route allowing you to follow from home to Belfountain but not using up your waypoint storage. There's probably a lot more to it and I'll bet Uber could add a ton to this.

Hope this muddles the water even more. :D Really the easiest way to learn this stuff is to use it to go get milk, gas, anything for a couple of weeks and then you're laughing. It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Cheers

Fin
  14. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    +1 on the GPS tutorials,
    I think I've learned more from Uberthread than I ever had the patience to discover for myself.:thumb
    BTW I lost my data cable so I guess I'll be following the remainder of the lost souls.....

BTW2 So much for our little secret club anouncement.......................:mulie
  15. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    lol, ya..... I had to set the bait.
  16. Indochine

Indochine 'Bikes are OK, but . . .

Oddometer:
    Uh, um, I'll be the guy with the map. You know, hardware? No wires? :D
  17. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure you'll be fine on the XR - I assume its a 650?

So I am looking for XRCanadian and Sochi tomorrow morning at Tim's in Aurora. Anyone else wanna meet us there on the way to Sunset Corners?
    PM me with your cell phone # if you want to make sure we connect.

Larry
  18. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow, looking outside this morning, cloudn't be more beautiful.

See you all soon.
  19. Bart

Bart Constant Lurker

Oddometer:

Leaving in a few minutes, see ya at Sunset corners.

:D
  20. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Woohoo, it's beauty out. See you in Belfountain.