Ontario - Spring Kick-off Ride!!!!!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ooobah-Moto, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    I know how you feel, Ron.:lol3

[​IMG]
  2. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Don't speak to loud. That snow is going to melt just in time for blackfly season. Better dust off those bug nets.
  3. Motoaxe

Motoaxe Doctor of Misfortune

Oddometer:
    Could be the strom....could be the kaylar...either way im looking forward to it!

Cheers!
    Ron
  4. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Ron.... glad to hear you healed up well. You're better off lettin me have that KLX this summer - keep you from trying to level a forest!

see you soon.
  5. RWBlackbird

RWBlackbird Lurker

Oddometer:
    Looks like the weather's changed her mind:

[​IMG]
  6. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading out as long as it's not raining and above ~8 degrees. If the weather is foul, plan is to ride the following Saturday.

BTW... I've been keepin an eye on the long range forecast for the past three weeks... it changes everyday! Guess we'll have to wait and see :becca
  7. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I loaded the route into "Gord's Pointing Service" as my wife calls it, and I'm looking forward to it... gotta dig the beast out of the neighbour's garage first though! Yikes!
  8. RWBlackbird

RWBlackbird Lurker

Oddometer:
    sounds good
  9. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Predicting Canadian weather a week in advance :poser :poser :poser

DW
  10. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    worked outside all winter....:dog , I'd rather listen to my bones first thing in the morning, than the weather channel :asshat for the same day.....let alone a week in advance........:norton.........seems to me that weathermen(women) and lawyers are the only people that can't get fired when they screw up.......no pun intented for our brothers and sisters on the field, just sayin'.
  11. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well said man!

Some of those snow pics are crazy! Enough of this winter shite, I don't ski dammit, I ride a bike! :cry
  12. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Whitby. I don't know yet if I can make it, but if I do, I'll be sticking to pavement on my Strom. Although I did just install heated grips on the KLR....
  13. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    Hows the hand coming along Alex?

DW
  14. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone here with excellent GPS skills who is planning on running only the road route?

I hope to be running the off-road sections (with those whom are interested). In which case, it would be great to have a point-man (or woman) that can wrangle the group through the on-road GPS waypoints. The plan would be to allow the two groups to converge (on-road and off). Meaning, whichever group show's up first at the point of convergence, to wait for the other group - thereafter continuing the route together.

P.S. If you see this guy next Saturday - stay away!!!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! :hair

Attached Files:

15. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Will he be wearing the same funny hat? :D

Here's a group riding tip for you kid: Choose a few predesignated spots to stop along your route for coffee and finger thawing at about 45 minute intervals.

Pretty critical for a group ride on the 5th of farking April (you meat head).

I'm not clear on your chosen route, but Belfountain's a nice one with a good general store and a terrific coffee shop. Campbellville's another but any old Tim Horton's will do when you're hypothermic.

It also serves as a good spot for the on-road group and off-road groups to reconnoitre and scare each other with tall tales. Early season rides are always good for telling tall tales of daring doo. You know, roosts, lurid throttle slides, jumps, wheelies... Stuff like that.

See what you can do with your route beforehand to designate some coffee shop stops along the way. If it's -3 to +3 and snowing/raining you're gonna need 'em.

:nod
  16. RumRunner

Oddometer:
    :huh :huh :huh

What the grizzly one said, lets meet in Belfountain, then ride somewhere....

DW
  17. Pay Dirt

Pay Dirt panning the web

Oddometer:
    Belfountain sounds good,what time you all spek ta be ther?

PD
  18. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Lornce, excellent ideas!<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The route I posted has our pick-up point and Bellfountain (agreed - great cafe there!) as the first two stops... within ~45mins of each other. Thereafter, our gas stop in Orangeville will be the next (about 45mins down the road... or less). <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Hockley</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> to Creemore will be a stretch... so a scenic/warm-up stop along the way will surely be in order!<o:p></o:p>
    Lunch at Creemore around 12:30pm<o:p></o:p>
    Route back home has us passing Base Borden, a stop just after that may be in order.<o:p></o:p>
    Least I forget, I prefer using "tracks" on my Garmin 60Cx. If anyone has already tried converting the 'route' in the original GPX>GDB file into a GDB file with it as 'track' - you may experience 'truncation' when uploading it to your device (as most Garmin's allow only up to 500 points per track saved). As such, I will post sequentially segmented track files (each 500 points or less). These can individually be saved to a Garmin and will display correctly on your screen as one coherent 'track'.<o:p></o:p>
    Alas, I think I'll have Lornce lead us.... good gauge for pee-pee brakes and frozen knuckle syndrome! :gerg (hmmmm... idea: recirculating on-board washroom waste to grips - heating and comfort!!!! :evil.... hot damn, you could also use the methane gas to power the motor - kill three birds with one stone!!!)

:D
  19. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    We'll be pulling into Belfountain around 11am - pick up you country boy's!!!! :webers
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:

Har and har. You'll handle things just fine, young Uber. Besides, looks like I might be earning my keep next Saturday.

I ever tell you 'bout the time... :gerg

:lol3