Ontario sub 110cc kids dirt bike insurance

Discussion in 'Canada' started by fyr, Apr 22, 2021.

1. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    After some research it seems that this issue is all over the map. Going to continue looking today but any folks here have insurance for your kids bikes? I have a CRF 110 and a 90Cc atv to insure for off road use. Cheers
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I believe the typical method is for you to insure, and then anyone can ride them.
    I pay $92/yr for each of my offroad vehicles - all that was required was the VIN.
    fyr likes this.
  3. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Wanna send me a pm with who your with.. my gf is a broker and can’t get anything less that 900$ for the 110! I’m scratching my head here. Cheers
  4. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Check with Desjardins Insurance - and ask for off-road insurance.
    You can't get collision with off-road coverage, but that's ok with me, I don't want it anyways.
    Accident benefits and liability is all you need to be trail legal - well, and a green plate I suppose.

Typical of our insurance industry, some motorbikes can only be insured as road bikes - even if you only want to green plate them - it depends on how they are categorized in their database and that was determined by an underwriter when they first appeared on the market.
    fyr likes this.
  5. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to guess you told your agent a minor would be riding the motorcycle. They automatically throw you into the high risk category and force you go with Facility insurance. Ask me how I know? I pay less than $100/yr for my 300XC-W PLPD, my 13 year old daughter costs me ~$400/yr for her KLX140L PLPD.
    fyr likes this.
  6. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fyr likes this.
  7. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. Speaking with some carriers tomorrow. Yeah it’s a cluster all right. Easier to just get an iPad and plop em down for fortnite. I always get rankled when you wanna be stand up and do the right thing with govt Regs, but mo love on the insurance side. Which is basically shutting down a whole segment of this “ sport” the search continues
    Gonnna go read me some thumper talk threads now
    filterx likes this.
  8. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    Not sure what's going askew for you @fyr
    Have you tried just insuring the dirt bike and atv under your own name? Unless you yourself are a high-risk client (I'm assuming not), it should only be $100/yr each.
    After that, anyone qualified to ride them are insured.
    Qualified = the minimum required age to operate a 90cc off-road vehicle.

Ontario insurance companies are quick to respond that motorcycle insurance does not qualify for multi-vehicle discounts, because anyone qualified is able to ride them, and therefore it's possible to ride more than one of your motorbikes at the same time (eg: you and a buddy, you and your son or daughter).

This is what I've been doing since my own kids were old enough to operate their 90cc ATV, then later the 110cc and 250cc dirt bikes.
    My own dirt bike is $92/year insurance and it's 400cc.

Wish I could get the same rates for my street bikes, but that's a whole different story.
    fyr likes this.
  9. Vikingtazz

Oddometer:
    So I just called my broker, who admits he's always had issues trying to get off-road vehicle insurance for clients.
    I don't use him for my off-road machines, so I called Desjardins where I do have my dirt bikes insured.

Call Chris at Desjardins in Brockville - 613-345-5880 and give him your VIN numbers, he'll look into what might be the issue.
    fyr likes this.
  10. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least in BC there is a one time OHV registration fee for any size of dirt bike, sled, SxS etc for like $48 to get a decal from any local insurance place and IMO it has help reduce dirt bike theft dramatically which is its purpose.

Then if you want to ride ANY dirt bike of any size on public dirt roads etc, all you need is yearly Personal Liability Insurance (PLI) for the rider NOT the bike.

From what I've read on the Thumper Talk threads is sounds like dirt bike clubs and riders need to try and get organized to sort it out cus IMO dirt biking can be a great family sport and laws should not restrict it.

Good luck dude,
    fyr likes this.
  11. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Thanks all.. I may have some more news monday.. I will call Desjardins as well- Thanks Vikingtazz.. I have both my bikes under Intact with a clean record.. Cheers