ONYX Electric Motorbikes from San Francisco - $2100 beast

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by RockyRoad5, May 11, 2018.

1. RockyRoad5

RockyRoad5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EvrythingAwesom and voltsxamps like this.
  2. ctromley

ctromley Long timer

Oddometer:
    a 60 mph top speed gets you way out of the moped category. So why does this have pedals?
  3. RockyRoad5

RockyRoad5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To ride legally @ 20mph restricted in Cali, it needs to have them I think. It's definitely regulation related.
  4. sk8norcal

sk8norcal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I doubt it goes 60mph with 170 lb person on.
    All these ebike companies loves to exaggerate their performance claim.
  5. RockyRoad5

RockyRoad5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haven't tried it at that speed but it has a 6000w motor, so not out of the realm of possibility. But I wouldn't expect more than 20 miles range at ~60.

It has a scary amount of torque at start, from riding it a few times. Regenerative braking button is sweet too.
  6. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Love the styling !!
  7. EvrythingAwesom

EvrythingAwesom Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is defiantly something I am going to keep an eye on. Really I want an electric solution for my quick ride to work. But I also live in NOLA so I want to be able to go to one side of the city and back if need be. I wish there was an affordable E-bike that had 200mile range... Until then this looks promising. As long as its comes with a MSO I should be able to get it tagged for when I take it on the road.
  9. randob300

randob300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MCN (via Missenden) reported Zero has a new battery system around the 170 mile range. Getting close if it's actual. Of course, my definition of affordable is well below a Zero....
  10. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    They have the DSR with all the battery options that gets 90 highway and almost 200 city... Thing is that it's almost 14k! I've been looking at the little chinese ones to fill the gap... Sadly all the sub 4k ones are hard to get street legal in Louisiana were there is no exemption about plating the bike. That Ben hurt one looks neat but they do not even put a VIN on there. There is another bike from "Denzel" that looks promising 4k gets street legal 60mph and like 60 miles in a charge.

Talked to the guys at Sur Ron and Denzel. Sur Ron says that the current bikes do not have a VIN just a serial number, Denzel said that the bike come with a "Certificate of original" I am guessing that means that its a MCO?

Sur Ron did state that soon the bikes coming in should have a VIN number. This means that there may be a way to get those chepo E-Bikes street legal I would love to ride around NOLA on one.
  11. RockyRoad5

RockyRoad5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't ride it enough to really say. But it wasn't uncomfortable in the few minutes I tested. Would like to see hideaway footpegs or something of the sort.

Looks like the indieIndi is fully funded, so hope they can deliver and start making motorcycles too!
  12. Sportsbud

Oddometer:
    I got a response back from the guys at Denzels they stated that all bikes after July 2018 will be coming with a VIN. That is good news.
  13. BrianTRice

BrianTRice Nerdy adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2016 DSR with Power Tank is getting around 135 real miles on the low end of highway speeds (60-65mph), so 170 miles is not unthinkable (2018 figures are close to 150 miles).

Onyx is in the same tier as Monday Motorbikes (also in SF); probably have an "Eco" mode for bicycle-lane-friendly operation, and I believe you have to cycle the bike's power to switch modes? I should go test ride these things to see what the deal is, because they seem pretty good deals as city errand bikes.