Oops, I did it again...or Scarabeo 500ie discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ride4321, May 28, 2018.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just when I got some garage space opened up after selling the BV350 some idiot in NYC had to advertise a Scarabeo 500ie for a great price. Well, the rest is history I suppose. I was really quite content with my Beo 250 after riding it to TN a few weeks ago. Performed great and was a pleasure to ride. I'd made my mind up that scoot could handle anything I throw at it and I'd just keep it and run it to it's death. But a certain member here praises the 500ie a lot and I respect her opinions so I kept looking for a deal on one. This is a NYC bike and shows it, not a showroom queen but it seems to be in decent mechanical shape and the plastic is all together although some is really faded. For the price I had to grab it. 10K on the odo. I'll keep both bikes for a month and see which one wins out for garage space. I'm not 100% certain the 500 will get the nod but I'm anxious to find out. Looks like I'll either be doing a bus and ride or taking a trailer back down to get it sometime this week. I've got to say it is not a big scooter, barely bigger than my 250 (5" longer wheelbase and 50 lbs heavier. I like that a lot.
    I seem to have JerseyBiker disease...NTTAWWT.:lol3

beo 500.jpg
    JerseyBiker and cheapeto like this.
  2. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    That 250 has proven to be a do it all bike, but I understand a little more speed is fun.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my Smax to replace my Super 8. A year later I still have both:D No need to decide in a month. I think you'll need a least a year.
    TrashCan likes this.
  4. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 250 as you saw is more than capable, ok, maybe just capable. But wringing it's neck on the interstates didn't make me feel good and I'd like to have some throttle left for emergency situations. That big 500 cylinder though is no where near as smooth as the 250.

Wish I had the space to keep them both, it'd be a no brainer. But I can't walk or work in the garage with 4 bikes and the DR and Tiger aren't going anywhere. I used to have a metal shed for situations like this but last year I hauled it to my sons house (so I wouldn't buy more scooters) and a storm came and blew it across the block the very next week.
    :yikes

Anyone know of a paint, maybe rubber based, that would work for the faded rear fender and floor board panels? Bed liner might work but I'm not sure. The fender could just use a good plastic paint I think but the floor panels should me tougher I think. I don't think boiled linseed oil will bring these back to life.
  5. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Yes, the two scoots that I had were a 250 Honda Elite and a 600 Silverwing...

Something in the middle like the BV 350 would be ideal for my riding.
    cheapeto likes this.
  6. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!! A little time and a heat gun will make that plastic look WAY better.
    I have done it numerous times.
    Hittman, vertex and ride4321 like this.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard that works but have never tried it. Nice. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Searching Airbnb for a place to spend the night in the city next Saturday. I felt bad riding in and out without even taking a walk around Chinatown. I'm pretty sure I'll take a bus down next Sat and hang out for the night to enjoy the nightlife before seeing if it can make the 200 mile trip home. Trailers suck in NYC and I'd rather ride it home anyway. There's a van for rent in Soho on Airbnb. Now that could make for an interesting ride report...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25374851?location=SoHo, New York, NY, United States&check_in=2018-06-02&check_out=2018-06-03

Right up my alley...or some alley in Soho.:dunno Wonder if campfires are permitted?
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a BV350 this past winter. Great performance and I was sure it would be the scoot for me. Hell, it only had 250 miles on it so it was like new and I got it for a great price, 2013 model. Well I tried it out for awhile and although I loved the speed and hooligan behavior it really wasn't comfortable for me. Seat needed fixing and the foot space was limited. Just didn't gel with it. Made some money reselling it though (almost enough to pay for this scoot) so it was worth trying out. There's a saying I read the other day that goes like this. Aprilia makes motorcycles, scooters and the Scarabeo. I've had the Beo 150, 250 and now the 500. There's something about the Beos that just fit me like a glove. Super comfortable and the handling is exceptional for a scoot. Smooth ride as well. I've found the model that suits me. Just need to decide which cc is right. Wish we had the 250ie here in the states.
  10. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    I sure understand fit.

What's good for me and my build would kill a big person. That's why I've stayed with the SV for the last 45,000 miles.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are many "back to Black" type products on the market. Maybe some I've not used too? When I was doing AB work rebuilds I tried several and were OK. Beware that you don't make the floorboards too slick for yer boots? Were it me I'd read Amazon reviews on Bondo, Mothers and 3M black goop. Walmart sells several of them.
    On the new 500 scoot I'm wondering if the bigger engine reduces the engine power "yo-yo" effect from CVT? Not something I've yet become used to riding my Vespa as compared to a gear change on a MC. Bus into NYC and riding out seems easier to me than a trailer in that mess?
  12. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll check into those products.
    The yo-yo effect is there on the bigger engine as far as I can tell.
    Decided to take a trailer down tomorrow to pick it up. I want to get all new fluids in it before doing any highway miles. The guy was honest about it needing to be done.
  13. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I use ordinary Armor-All on the flat black plastic that's gotten gray. First you wash it well, maybe use a very fine steel wool to get it nice and clean, then slather on the Armor-All and leave it. Later, more Armor-All. Tomorrow, repeat. Do not wipe it off yet. The third day, rub it off and see how it looks. If it needs more, do more.

That said, don't use it on floorboards because it's very slippery and your feet will slide off. Same with seat upholstery.
  14. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    There was a thread not long ago on bringing plastics back to new on the Australia regional sub forum. There were many remedies discussed and pictures shared. Worth a look for sure.
    I'd find the link but I'm off to work now.
  15. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    =
    I think it is more a condition than a disease. But whatever it is, it's good to have!

Congratulations and best of luck with the new scooter!
    kottomack likes this.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guy is giving me the cover so it might just stay outside for the summer. Not like it's going to get anymore distressed.
    I like that JB...condition.:photog
    klaviator likes this.
  18. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of the Beo 500. I've never found the seat on the BV 250/500 to be comfortable. I can't ride one far without an airhawk. The BV 350 I didn't have that issue with but nothing has beat the comfort of that Scarabeo 500 seat for me.
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aprilia got comfort and many other things right on the Scarabeos. I really hope I like it. I just spent 9 hours in the van going to get it but an hour or two of that was stuck in city traffic which really sucks. Took me 45 minutes to go .6 miles from the lower East Side to the Holland tunnel after loading it up. I was hoping the scoot might look better today but I was wrong. It's getting a good spray down of ACF50 tomorrow to all the rusty bits and I'll drain all the fluids this weekend once I know I can loosen bolts without snapping them. This is a questionable buy but I'm sure it'll work out fine once it's cleaned and lubed. I was shocked at how heavy it felt rolling it to the trailer. Have to be at the dentist in 7 hours to have a cap installed and too tired to roll it off the trailer tonite. Don't want to drop it and ruin the good shiny plastic that still exists. Oh, check out my new fence ornament I made from old chains and sprockets hanging on the middle post.

beo 500 home.jpg

I will say this though, that's one piddly ass wind screen they put on this bike. Can't speak from experience but I can see it sucks and I was lucky enough to get two OEMs thrown in on the deal. He tried the Givi but it cracked just riding on the FDR highway so what are the cool kids using? Does Puig make a good screen for the bike?
  20. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never had a Givi crack on mine. I may have one of the summer aka mid height Givis in the garage if you want me to check. I've also got an OEM stock screen unless my husband tossed it post Harvey.