Oops, I did it again...or Scarabeo 500ie discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ride4321, May 28, 2018.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sort of like this?

[​IMG]

Probably not a good time to take a picture.:lol3
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep-It was much like that and this old guy was wondering what comes next? Almost a surreal experience we found very hard to understand.
    I know who had the gun & a badge. I just stood there and took it from start to finish!
    For the record I'm a white boy too, not typical racial profile material. I guess I'll never know what set the guy off. He told me about how he was a Marine and how long he had been a LEO, etc.. Heard more than I wanted too for real. Shorter than me (I'm 5'8.5") , red headed freckly very pissy guy was he...
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that sort of explains his attitude then doesn't it?:dunno :augie
  4. Trucker jay

Trucker jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hated short drill instructors during my time at Parris Island.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I'd had longer legs & arms, bigger hands and been able to hit the slider I'd have made it further than I did in BB?:dunno:augie
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suppose you've heard of the Napolean Complex? I've seen several in my time. We had a guy Sgt Henderson who measured the back of your boot heels as there is a regulation that says when they should be replaced. He counted cadence like a rooster crowing, head bobbing fore & aft and sort of sounded like one too. One of those bachelor WWII sgts that lived in a barracks, corner room year round. He stole pocket knives if he saw a buldge in yer pocket. Guy had a whole footlocker full of them. Like the TSA folks?
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New City Grip ordered for the front. Now to epoxy the hole in the tail light and patch a cracked rear signal lens until used ones show up on ebay. I was able to adjust one of the rear shocks to a softer setting but the other won't budge. Need to get a better tool before I ruin the adjustment ring. Other than that I need to pull the instrument panel off and see if the tabs are broken on the cover plate since it looks like only one or two screws are holding that on (lots of rattles) and the left front signal only has one screw as well. Oh, and there's no weather strip on the glove box so that rattles a lot also, easy fix. Then I'll be done for awhile. I'm hoping the new front tire and softer shock setting will give it a smoother ride. The seat slides me forward so at some point I might try adding some foam to the front.
    Cheryl, what pressure did you run in your tires? Book say 32 but I'm going to go lower to see if that helps.
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replacing that 10 year old front tire made a HUGE improvement in the handling. Smoothed things out more than I expected. Next rainy weekend I'll do the fork oil but for now I'm happy with the tire change.
    Tromper likes this.
  9. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run higher 34 as if two up.
  10. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying

Oddometer:
    In the SYM forum folks who changed the OEM IRC rocks out for CGs noted "Why didn't I do this sooner" universally.
    I did that, & though roads were dry on the way to the place I was getting 'em done (couldn't get the swingarm off so farmed it out) and wet on the way back home, the difference was pure magic.

11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I'll give it a try and see how that feels.

I've never run CGs on any of my scoots other than the BV350 which I didn't own long enough to really get a good feel for. I really like them on this bike and will be sticking with them from here on out. Had Shinkos on the Beo 250 and they were fine and the rear lasted 9K BTW.

Was checking into what people are doing to make the seat more comfortable and the biggest issue seems to be the hump molded into the seat which you really can't do much about. Guess I'll just have to get the front section refoamed and live with that. This is the first Scarabeo I've owned with a seat that wasn't comfortable right from the factory. I've got a buddy with an Airhawk cushion. Maybe I'll see how that feels on the Beo.
  12. cheapeto

cheapeto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am so glad to find this forum, and your thread, as it has me rethinking about other scooter brands, I just got so darn comfortable with my BR, I just have never thought of getting it a garage mate. LIE, I did buy a BR for my wife, to ride, but she never found the peace I found on it, so I did all the mod's that it should have came with from the factory, before I sold it.
    I sold it to an older guy that already owned a BR, but it is a total stock machine. When he came back from a long test ride, his first questions was how was mine so much faster then his. He gave me, what I was asking for it. I gave him a mod list for the BR.
    I got sticker shock the first time I looked at a BR, and knew I wanted a used one, over the huge depreciation loss scooters/cars/trucks endure. So I like used....but I'm not a great mechanic. I can use a service manual pretty well, and have some mechanical skills.
    now I'm looking at the BV and Beo.
    Like all used purchases, some are not worth asking about, and some are killer good deals, if your willing to drive/fly/bus/hitchhike to get them.
    I'm still trying to figure out used price market for them, as it's all over the place.
    Thanks man for sharing the info.
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you're finding it useful. Don't think we have many big Ruckus owners here.
    Keep an eye on NYC CL. I've had good luck both buying and selling in the city.
    I think the BV350 and Scarabeo 500 are fairly close in some respects and others not so much. It'd be personal preference and which fits better I guess. They both feel about the same size though and neither feels like a big scoot like the Burgman/Majesty. The Beo500ie seems to be selling in the $2500 range and the BV350 in the low to mid $3K range but they're newer so that makes sense. Not sure if they is much of a height difference or not but I think they're similar. I like the engine on the BV better but the ergos of the Beo work better for me personally other than the seat which I think is very similar on both bikes. I picked the Beo over the BV so the Beo engine does not suck. Lot's of complaints about the wind screens on both but neither were a problem for me (I wear earplugs).
    cheapeto likes this.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like City Grips and Power Pures. What "hump" do you have in the Beo 500? There is a slight contour but I wouldn't have called it a hump on either my 2007 or 2009. Nothing like on the BV 500. For me the stock seat on the Beo 500 is the best seat I've had on any PTW motorcycle or scooter.
  15. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This hump...

beo seat 1.jpg beo seat 2.jpg

I'm pushed forward partially from the slope of the seat and that hump. I'd love to be able to slide back farther but the mold won't allow for that. I think there might be enough foam on the rise to shave some off. I'm pretty sure adding foam to the nose will keep me from sliding forward and adding some cushion on the side should add comfort for my butt. It's nowhere near as comfy as the 150 and 250 seat. Of course this is different for everyone I suppose.
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks a bit higher than I remember. If you think it is pushing your forward, mine didn't but the Corbin I had on my GTS did, add a couple of washers to the front bolts and see if that stops you sliding forward. It is a cheap easy thing to try before messing with the foam.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am planning on giving that a try first. Was looking around my mess of a garage looking for washers this morning actually.:becca

Then again my seat may have been shaved down at some point too. I'll find out once the cover is pulled off I guess.
  18. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might try the small Airhawk to equalize the height? Klavinator uses one shaped similar to a bicycle saddle.
    Shaving foam will pucker the cover and molded seat pan still there in the way too?
    I ride my scoot bare and it's OK and a sheepskin user on long tours with MC.
  19. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe try a heat gun on the bottom side of the seat pan. You might be able to flatten the hump a bit.
    cheapeto likes this.
  20. cheapeto

cheapeto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey ride4321, as much as I love my BR, it does/did have it's issues, IMHO that added to the low sales in NA. The stock shock was silly small. By yourself, you could get by with it, but adding a passenger, and they are all swishy in the rear. Or adding all the gear for a week long ride.
    YSS made us a fine shock for the price.
    Their windscreen, is the tallest damned thing! I ran with it a few years, but hated the (sever, IMHO) buffeting when passing trucks. I also loved their leg guards, but removed them also. I really like the raw exposed feeling, but I did go to a full face helmet once I removed them.
    So I'm going to find something used, since I own a PU I'll go where the seller has that killer deal at. Thanks again.