Oops, I did it again...or Scarabeo 500ie discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ride4321, May 28, 2018.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll try some washers first before getting into refoaming the seat. I doubt I'll be able to use the stock cover if I add too much foam and I'd like to keep this as cheap as possible.

I was eyeballing my heat gun last night but there was beer involved so decided to hold off on that for the night.
    :beer
    Wentwest likes this.
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheapeto. All of the Scarabeos I've owned handled truck wind very well. I was on the interstate with the 250 for a few hours with real gusty conditions and it did surprisingly well. The 500 is just as good from what I've experienced so far. Can't really comment on the BV350 in those conditions because I didn't ride it for long but I think it's equally stable in the wind.
    cheapeto likes this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheap= buy marine grade vinyl on ebay from several commercial sellers there and have it sewn locally by an upholstery shop using a new piece of foam or shaving old one. The heatgun (yeh, the one from the beer party) will move the seatpan shape. Use a spray btl of water to hold the shape you like.
    ride4321 likes this.
  4. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trying to change the fork oil this morning but can't get the forks off. All the retaining bolts are removed but the things won't budge from the clamp. Any suggestions? Don't want to pry the clamp too much to spread it since it's cast. Heat? I've hit it with WD40, maybe I should just take another bike for a ride and let it saturate for a few hours.

Update: got the left one out by driving a chisel into the clamp to loosen it up. The other will come out later after a nice long ride.
  5. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to ask questionsfor working on the Scarabeo over on the AF1racing forums. For Aprilia-Piaggio scoots that's where you find the most activity.
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did. Got one reply early this morning but that site isn't very active on the scoot side anymore. I ended up getting a used fork on eBay for $50 so as long as the bottom bolt is good I'm covered except my scoot only has one fork for now which sort of sucks. The oil I could drain from the good fork looked like crap so maybe fresh oil will smooth out the ride some more. Still a fairly rough ride compared to the 250. Reading more I found out this model doesn't use an Aprilia frame or suspension, it's all from Piaggio which might explain the difference in ride. My smaller Beos used Aprilia frames and whatever suspension they went with.
    On the plus side I got a few rides in on the DR today and also was able to mount new tires on that bike. Some beer was consumed mounting the tires.
    :photog
    klaviator likes this.
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well my Scarabeo rides better than my Piaggio BV 500.
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure my Beo is right suspension wise. Once I get the fork oil done I'll have a better idea. Right now it feels a lot like the BV350 and that's why I sold that bike. After seeing the oil from the one fork I'm hoping it'll be better with new oil. The shocks I'm not so sure about but they are 10 years old and have been weathered so that could be the problem. I'm not unhappy with the bike but I do think it should ride smoother for that size scoot.
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, so the new used fork showed up today and I was hoping to loosen the bottom bolt and drain the oil on it. Same damn thing. It loosened but wouldn't come out. Ended up compressing the top cap and draining the oil that way with my original fork. I'll never be able to replace fork seals without getting that bottom bolt free but for now this works. I think it must be a design flaw and I'll search for replacement forks if another model has them. I'm back on the road which is key for now. Front feels much better but the rear suspension still leaves a lot to be desired. I'll address that issue later on. For now I just want to ride this scoot and beat the piss out of it for awhile.
    klaviator likes this.
  10. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I never could get the bottom bolt out of a fork when the top was opened. The pressure of the spring against everything inside was needed, or the housing inside at the bottom that the bolt goes into would just turn and turn and the bolt would not come out. And, really, only an impact wrench (powered) really works. Either take it to a shop that has a heavy duty impact wrench, or go buy a Milwaukee and be done with it. It's pretty expensive, but I use it a lot.

I guess you could drill the head off the bolt, take everything apart, and buy a new bolt. I had to do that twice, too. It works.
  11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you've had the same issue? I still had the top cap and spring in while trying to loosen the bottom bolt though so the pressure was there. I tried my shitty impact wrench but maybe a more powerful one would work? I'll give it a try since I have a spare laying around now. I'd just like to know I can change the seals if need be. I've never dealt with forks like this before.
  12. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    You are talking about the bolt that hides in the bottom of the fork until you take the axle bolt and the lower cap off? I have no idea about your scooter, but if the bolt has an Allen head, recessed hex head, then it's pretty easy to drill off the head with a bit that's just slightly bigger than the shaft of the bolt. Once the head is off when you take the snap ring out of the top of the fork leg, turn the leg upside down, hold the body of it tight and pound the top, threaded end of it onto a block of wood on the floor. The seals will release and the whole thing will come apart, and if the shock isn't completely drained there will be fluid all over the place. The remains of that bolt will be sticking out of the bottom of the machinery that pulls out, and you can easily unscrew it with your fingers or a vice grip.

That's the best I can explain it.
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. Thanks.
    Rainy weekend ahead so tomorrow I'll pull the variator cover off and have a look at the belt and rollers. Their probably 10 years old and need to be checked out.
    Road my buddies BV250 and sort of miss the smooth engine of my old 250. Nice having the extra power, storage and range but that 250 of mine was close to the perfect scoot I think.
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheryl, I took your advice and bumped the tire pressure up to 34 and it did seem to help somewhat. Emailed AF1 yesterday asking what the spec was for fork oil and they said either 15 or 20 wt. I used 20 per advice on the AF1 forum but maybe 15 would have been better. Although I'm getting closer to smoothing the ride out I don't think it'll ever be comparable to the Beo 250. You'd think that the 500 would be more of a touring bike with a better suspension but I don't think that's the case. It almost feels like a small wheel scoot to me.
    There's a 250 for sale at a dealership down in PA. I'm tempted to call and see if they'd be interested in doing a trade. I'm pretty sure at this point if I'd have kept my 250 the 500 would be listed on CL by now. I really want to love this scoot but it's not cooperating.:eek7
  15. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strange because I find the suspension and especially the seat on the BV 500 which is exactly the same as the BV 250 except for the different engine far superior. Heck, we even swapped seats with a 250 when I bought it because I wanted a different color than the one that was on the BV I purchased. Maybe we should swap the BV 500 and Scarabeo 500s. ;)
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in feeling the difference between the two. My buddies BV250 came with a second seat, not sure what the difference is though. That seat is pretty comfy. I'm sure I can mod mine to be comfortable.
    After riding at lunch with the tires set at 34# it does feel better. I'm going to tighten the shocks back up and see if that does anything. I really want to keep this bike if I can just because I'm getting tired of switching bikes.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm keeping this thread alive because I live alone and as thoughts go thru my mind I have to relay them to someone so even if no one is paying attention it's like talking to myself.
    Called the used bike dealer that had the Beo 250 for sale for $1900. Told him I'd do an even trade and he could sell the 500 with 5K less miles, all new fluids, new brake pads, new tires and I'd take the 2 year older carbed 250 even steven. He said that would be a losing deal for him.:dunno So for now I'll adapt to the newer, more powerful with more storage space, faster, fuel injected, lower mile bike. The 250 is an awesome ride but not that awesome. I know the woman I sold my Beo 150 to is trying to get rid of that bike so if she'll deal on it maybe I'll just go back to 4 bikes. That 150 did not suck and was a great bike in town and on the highway. The saga continues. Stay tuned if I haven't already bored you to death.
    :snore
    JerseyBiker and TrashCan like this.
  18. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying

Oddometer:
    :clap
  19. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep at it. The 500 just needs a little fine tuning to suit you, and it'll make you forget all about the 250!
    JerseyBiker and ride4321 like this.
  20. Wentwest

Oddometer:
    And don't feel bad about airing out those thoughts here. I'm married, 43 years, but my wife has less than zero interest in scooters. Kind of like me and tennis. I come to this forum to mess around with all these notions that pop up about scooting for the exact same reason you do.