Oops, I did it again...or Scarabeo 500ie discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ride4321, May 28, 2018.

1. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was reading the owners manual and it mentions the "shocks are very hard".:eek7 I will set them on the next softest setting and see how that goes. I can already see a difference having softened them up one notch but can also feel a slight amount of wobble in the corners so doubt going softer is going to work. They do mention changing the oil in the shocks so that's another option I can play with.
    I'll keep boring you guys with my thoughts.:hmmmmm
    cheapeto likes this.
  2. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not boring....everything you're doing can be applied to other scoots too!
    cheapeto likes this.
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you ever use those shocks you got from my SC300?
    I need to start getting shock measurements from other bigger scoots to see if there are alternative options that will fit this scooter.

On another note...I ran the tank down til the fuel light came on at 172 miles. It took 2.8 gals and the tank is 3.5 so I should easily have a 200 mile range and still have a bit to spare.
  4. fried okra

fried okra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ride4321....I've got a new Aprilia windscreen and hardware for the Beo 250, but am moving from northern VA to Charleston, SC now. I left it with a friend up here who has a Beo 150.

You are looking for one maybe?

Ping me on 703 nine one nine, 3262 if you are looking for one. I have limited PC access now as have shut service at the house.

fried okra
  5. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a good talk with a moto service guy tonight and discussed options and causes for the bad suspension on the scoot. We both agreed that NYC could have taken it's toll on the shocks and forks over the last 10 years. His suggestion was to play around with fork oil wts and shim the springs a bit which should be easy enough to do now that I know how to get into the forks. He also reminded me of how to free up that bottom bolt so I might tackle that this weekend. The manual says the shock oil can be replaced although I don't see a way with them in place so I'll pull one and see what's up there. I don't think they can be charged with nitrogen but if they can I'll mess with that as well. The overall thought was on the rough NYC streets the suspension might be pretty well beat, think of a MX bike after a season of racing. He gave me some ways to check the travel and rebound so I'll start there. I don't know crap about suspension.
  6. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent
    Let me know.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent some more time in the garage this morning trying to iron out the ride. Pulled the forks and drained the 20wt oil and replaced with 15. That made quite a difference and softened the front up quite a bit plus gives it a more planted feel. If I have them off again I'll mix something a bit lighter 12/13 wt range and see how that does. Softened the rear to it's lowest setting (3 setting? WTF Aprilia?) and that also helped. Now the ride is halfway decent but still pales to the 250. I'm guessing Aprilia (Piaggio) cheaped out on the suspension and this might be as good as it gets. I'm tempted to go ride a 500GT that for sale a few hours from here and see how it feels. The pre-2007 models I've ridden seem to be much smoother. I discounted the GT mainly because of it's size and looks but the more I look at them online they're starting to grow on me and the panniers would be a big plus. Anyway, I'm good for now. Just need to inspect the belt and rollers and check the valves.
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never had the problems with suspension you seem to have, maybe it is because my have always been kept in the garage when not being rented. The only issues I ever had were on the 2007 caused by the previous owner who had fuzzed with the electrical system installing an "stereo", power commander and I'm not sure what else that eventually caused issues with the factory security system.
  9. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It had a rough life in the city so that's probably the cause. The second fork oil change drained out darker than expected for only being a few weeks old. Who knows what the shock oil looks like. That's another day though.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Darker from residue and to be expected. On vintage/antique MC's it's often rusty inside there.
    ride4321 likes this.
  11. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    On bikes that I "adopt" it takes two fluid changes, one right away and another after a couple of hundred miles. When you drain the old stuff out a lot of sludge stays behind. Modern motor oil suspends grit and grime in the oil a while and relies on the filter to clear it out. Most scooters really have no filter and so there's a frequent need for oil changes. If the bike just sits for a while the junk slowly settles out into a paste at the bottom, and when you drain it, it often comes out looking pretty good, but don't be fooled. That pasty glop is still in there and when you start riding it again the warm oil starts picking up the crud and holding it in suspension, so I drain it again after 200 miles of so and it usually looks terrible. That's the point. You want it to look like that because it means you're getting that stuff out.
  12. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I realize it's just old crap still clinging to the forks that discolored it so good to flush them out again. I should probably drain the other fluids in another 1K just to get everything good and clean.
    I had a call from the woman that bought my Beo 150 asking if I'd change the battery out for her. She's in poor health and wants an even smaller scoot, 50cc most likely so the 150 could probably be gotten for a really good price. I'm tempted to grab it and use it for around town use as the 500 isn't as much fun in town. Don't have room really but I really loved that bike and just seeing it got my heart pounding. It'll fit in the garage but won't leave any room for moving around. Shit, why did I have to go help her out?:loco:hmmmmm:ricky

This bike...

P1060296 copy.jpg
  13. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    When someone asks you "How many scooters is enough?", the answer is "One more."
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's not helping...:becca
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Women call and you answer... seems yer an easy touch and why not yet another PTW? When people say how comforting it must be to know how to fix stuff I think-really. It's a sort of collar one wears like a work mule?:lol2

Story: I sold a car (had high miles) years ago to a girl (secretary at university where my wife worked) who seemed to think it came with free repairs. When the speedo went out she accused me of knowing it was due to fail cause I was a auto mechanics teacher-go figure on that one?:scratch
    She was also playing the race card which really ticked me off from trying to actually help her with the problem as that's far from the real me...

I can think of as many reasons as you need to decide either way on more scoots?:rofl
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This woman has a husband and 18 YO son but apparently neither knows how to use a phillips head screwdriver. I showed the son how to change it while I was doing it. I've done other repairs for her on this bike since she bought it but did get a gift card to my local hangout for my efforts.
    kantuckid likes this.
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    She's married to a wuusy guy? who's son is gonna be another wuser?
  18. Buster Grumpy

Buster Grumpy Sucker for "great deals"

Oddometer:
    No, the son has ride4321 to de-sissify him!
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, married to a investment banker. The kid doesn't stand a chance of becoming mechanically inclined probably but I gave him the run down on connecting a battery anyhow because I'm just that kinda guy.:D
    Think I'll go get that scoot tomorrow and run a tank of gas through it. Who knows, maybe I'll make an offer on it if I still like it as much as I used to.
  20. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took my old 150 out for a spin tonight thinking maybe I'd offer to buy it back. I love that bike but I don't think I can ever go back to a 150 again. Still impressed with the comfort and ride and the seat on that bike is the best I've had on any bike, even comparable to the Bill Mayer seat on my Tiger. I was going to take tomorrow off and take a ride down to Reading to look at a 500GT and also a Beo 250 but the 250 just sold so I'm not going to bother going. I will go check out the GT another time if it doesn't sell. I can see that being a good candidate for my "old man touring scoot" in retirement. They just look like an old guy should be riding them. Might be the Goldwing/Caddy vibe they convey.
    The search continues. Either a suspension rebuild or a bike to replace this one.