Oops, I did it again...or Scarabeo 500ie discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by ride4321, May 28, 2018.

1. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Half the fun is looking.
    Wentwest likes this.
  2. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd just buy another 250 and be done with it but there's only one for sale within 1200 miles from here and it's too far to go check out plus over priced. I might have to revisit the Vespa world. Had the 250 a few years ago but sold it and kept my Aprilia. That was a nice scoot. No deals to be found on them unfortunately but I might be mature enough now to own a Vespa and not worry about destroying the bodywork.
    :p3rry
  3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the shocks are just worn out I could try picking up a used set on eBay to see if it helps. I value your opinion on scoots Cheryl and if yours had a decent ride I still feel like I should be able to fix mine. Maybe its as simple as the rubber bushings being old and stiff. The PO wasn't a small guy either so that might have taken it's toll on the potholed streets of NYC.

This is the rubber I'm talking about...

shock rubber.jpg
  4. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    [​IMG]I bought this Kymco 500 a few years ago and it does great plenty of power will run 80 all day if needled.I would rather have this on a long trip than a 250

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a thing for Italian scoots so the Kymco is out I'm afraid. I'm going to pull the shocks and see if I can tear them apart before giving up on this one. I'm really starting to love this engine.
  6. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had two Scarabeo 500ie and both of them were very smooth comfortable rides while still providing a good connection to the road. I haven't a clue why yours has so many problems. We never had a problem with the front forks on either Scarabeo but we did have to replace oil and something else done to one of the BV 500's forks.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seals maybe? The forks are still a work in progress but much better with new oil. Might still play around with the weight of the oil a bit and possibly put a spacer in. If can't find a way to improve the shocks it'd probably be worth the money to buy a used set on eBay and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.
  8. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was several years ago and I don't really remember but since I seem to recall a small leak seals seem likely.
  9. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    When you take off rear shocks it's much easier to do one at a time. If you take off both at the same time the rear wheel and engine swings down and you have to lift it and line up the shock at the same time. It's kind of a three handed job. But maybe you should do it anyway to test the functioning of the bushings where the engine pivots off the frame. If those are dried up and binding it'll ride like crap and have a tendency to wander.
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing. It's been outside it's entire life so I'd like to check the bushings while I'm at it. I was wondering if they could be causing an issue. Thanks for mentioning that.
  11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing, the last few days this bike is starting to feel smoother. Might be I'm just getting used to it or is there a possibility that getting it out for longer rides is somehow working things out? I can't imagine how that would work but it is starting to grow on me. Absolutely loving the power. This morning I'm taking it on a section of highway that has some pretty rough expansion joints. I know how it feels from previous outings so it'll be a good test. Don't expect it to be smooth since none of my bikes are on those things but if it feels more planted that would be nice.
  12. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you did change the oil and fresh oil may be getting more of the gunk out. Rough expansion joints aren't smooth on anything and that includes vehicles with more wheels than two.
  13. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It felt pretty good yesterday so I'm going to stop worrying about it and just ride the thing. The seat is even starting to feel better to me. I wanted to like the bike and it's finally starting to happen so that's a good thing. I really need to check out the belt and rollers but it's been so hot here I keep waiting for a cool rainy day to do that. I think I'll just order the parts so I can replace them once I get in there. Pretty sure they're original.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe the seat had to adjust to your tush after some shaping to the person who used to own the scoot. I highly recommend just riding the thing. ;)
    ride4321 likes this.
  15. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatever happened with the suspension on this bike either by my hands or just by riding it has transformed my opinion of the bike. This thing is now a blast to ride. The way it corners is as good as my 250 and 150 Beos and the speed and grunt just kicks ass. I can't help myself from being a hooligan in traffic on the highway, the bike begs for that behavior. I have the option of in town or highway on my commute and it want's highway, no question about that, but having that speed to pass at will is so damn nice. I'm taking back everything I've said so far about this scoot. It has become very familiar to me and well planted and just begs to be mistreated. I think I'm finally falling in love with it :raabia very much as I did with my other Scarabeos. I didn't think this bike was going to make the cut but I think it has.
    That is all for now:augie
    Trucker jay likes this.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. These machines are kind of like shoes - you have to wear them a while before they feel right. The process of riding a two wheel machine is so much more intimate than a 4 wheeler, it's hard to explain. But if it turns out to fit you, it becomes clear after a while, and then the magic starts.
  17. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was pretty sure I'd be selling it shortly after bringing it home. I've loved my other two Scarabeos, always thought they were the best scoots ever made and this one just didn't do it for me for a few months. Once the suspension thing worked it's way, and I'm still not sure what I did, I fell in love with the damn thing. Now I can't imagine going back to 250cc. Having that power available is awesome. I think riding my old 150 helped get me over the hump. You expect different things from a small bike but once you start carving corners on a big scoot that all becomes a thing of the past. I'm definitely enjoying this big ass scoot now. Roll on the throttle and leave the world behind you. You've got to love that.
  18. cdwise

cdwise Long timer

Oddometer:
    It took a bit to get there but sounds like you are coming around to my opinion. ;)
    ride4321 likes this.
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took a few pics of my old 150 next to the 500 last week. Surprising close in size and style.

beo beo 1.jpg

beo beo 2.jpg
    klaviator likes this.
  20. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    That's the best looking factory seat on the 150 that I've seen.