Open Mindedness To Learn, Understand, Or Consider Change

Discussion in 'Trials' started by PMK, Nov 28, 2018.

1. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt, each person born into the world, may have fears or concerns at some point in regard to change within their routine. Sometimes, I see it in various website forums or in person face to face. The wise person listens, evaluates, then determines the validity and accuracy of the information. Sometimes however, there is no means to determine if the information is good or not, other than evaluating for yourself, or getting additional info from others that may know if it is fact or fiction.

I am sensing a tension from Twin-shocker towards me. Apparently, my own evaluation regarding some of his methods, techniques, and ideas regarding motorcycles differ between us, and possibly others here.

Myself, I see these forums as a place to enjoy, learn and have fun. When wrong I am able to say that and move on. By no means am I stating it's my way or the highway and everyone else is wrong. In most cases that would be a fools approach.

The recent discussion regarding carb tuning saw differences. Others have their methods and setups that work for them, and that is fine. Some, like Twin-shocker believe that old technology remains superior to new technology based on opinions they post, but no hard data.

Twin-shocker has tried a couple times to drag, not only my information regarding a topic I started about footpeg location, but also a topic regarding other frame mods posted by someone else, to this website, rather than speak his mind on those topics.

Then today, I see another post from him, and I am not certain if he posted sarcastically to poke fun, or was serious when he mentioned that swapping needles altered the transition off idle in a carb. This differs from his steadfast insistence to change slides or needle jets, so it did catch my eye. I did post a link to the carb manufacturers website tuning page that validated my words and technique, therefore I am unsure if was a jab or praise.

Myself, I am willing to read and learn. However, sometimes, experiences, time, or cost prevent the simplistic compliance to accomplish things such as removing a modern carb and installing a 50 year old style carb. As for frame mods, no shame in sharing accurate knowledge, but if others prefer to make mods, unless known to be dangerous, why not share your thoughts and let them be.

Being past the topics that sparked differences, there are no ill feelings towards you, your methods or techniques from me. So please, just let it go.

I suspect others may have similar thoughts, or have these same ideas towards me. Get it out, and lets move forward and have fun. Life is short, enjoy every moment while you can.

To be absolutely, 110% totally clear, this topic and post is not an attack towards Twin-shocker or anyone else, so please do not misread, misinterpret, or read anything more into the words I posted, it is not there.
    10K likes this.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Twin-shocker has been trolling you, and most of us knew it. He has been banned from other forums before. But he is a person of knowledge in the UK. But insists on being Troll like.
    jonnyc21, 10K, Brewtus and 1 other person like this.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Twin shocks were popular in the 60's, so were these...

[​IMG]
    DyrWolf, Brewtus and Fallacy like this.
  4. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Learning from others who have many years of first hand experience of whatever it is you are interested in is a very good way of gaining knowledge its impossible to find on the net. Technology is always moving forward though and a good example of this would be fitting a modern resonant induction system to a vintage machine to improve performance and is simply a matter of applying newer technology to an older machine and isn't something which requires any sort of in depth expert knowledge.
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :2cry

Really??? Over jetting a carb?? :rofl

My jetting technique is usually "oh crap it's got a flat spot, I'll ride around the bog until I have some time.......maybe"
  6. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Dear Mr. Obvious ....
  7. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ironically, not just jetting. Often, you must play the cards you are dealt. I will say though that some people have a difficult time on anything less than what they deem as perfect. On more than a few occasions, I have told others, there is nothing we can do out here to fix it or make it perfect. Adapt, Overcome and Conquer.
    10K and Gordy like this.
  8. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Ignore the troll.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  9. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2018-11-28_10-42-8.png
    Click on his profile, and then click Ignore. Personally I don't know any better so am content to follow the banter, but totally understand why it would irritate.
  10. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:

Some of that is worthy of a thread. The rest is PM material.
  11. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    I PM'd and did my best.
  12. PMK

PMK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree, however, I have no ill intents towards anyone here, even if they find me an easy target. I respect the guy for his words, but want him to engage with quality info AND have others be a part of what can be, not was has been. A PM would not allow this.

If one thing is upsetting to me, I was called out in regards to experience. I get it, but as we all know, being thousands of miles apart, having never met face to face, is one thing, but if I am being called out regarding qualifications, I expect the person asking to validate themselves on qualifications also.

Ironically, I suspect for most of us...buy a trials bike, add fuel, make a few adjustments to the levers, set tire pressure and enjoy. Granted some may swap heads or make drastic jetting changes, but overall, for mortals the bikes are likely very good out of the crate.
    jonnyc21, 10K, Nobade and 2 others like this.
  13. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Your desire for Open Mindedness To Learn, Understand, Or Consider Change
    is evident! You wear it on your sleeves.

Kind of quiet around here as the vortex has moved off somewhere....