Open Sourcing Roadbook Creation: Introducing the tulip project.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by VxZeroKnots, Mar 31, 2017.

1. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is tulip:

Tulip is an open source software project for creating cross country roadbooks. People tend to have various workflows for designing routes, stages and roadbooks. Tulip is designed to optimize the creation of routes in a simple, basic set of steps using an intuitive, fast, and visually succinct UI and resulting cross country roadbooks. It is an app which is installed locally on a computer running OSX10+ or Windows 7+.

Tulip currently uses the Google Maps API which requires an active internet connection for operation since it dynamically fetches the mapping data via the connection. Even though an internet connection is required to run the app, all roadbook and gpx data files are stored locally. This allows local backup or cloud based storage and sharing via methods like dropbox, google drive, email, and most others. It’s totally up to the user whether to share their routes and how to do it. Additionally, using cloud sharing allows collaborative work on the same route, meaning you and your friends can work and save on the same file!

Tulip also provides a simple but clever route assembly process that greatly enhances the ability to cut up previous routes and assemble them together in new combinations. Take 3 roadbooks, cut out the good sections, and assemble them into a new roadbook in minutes.

Tulip’s primary purpose is to promote the growth of cross country rally. It is free to use, and the GPX export is formatted so that devices and apps like Rally Comp and Rally Blitz can import this file with all WPM, WPS, DSZ, ASZ, DSS, and ASS route notifications baked in.

This is a collaborative endeavour that will hopefully be used with other apps and projects in the future. If there are any other device or app creators out there who would like to integrate with Tulip please let me know, I want to help you!

What tulip is not:

This is not software for making dual sport roll charts or road rally or rallymoto type routes, though it is open source and with a little bit of knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JS can easily be modified to do any of those things if someone was inclined.

Tulip is not intended as a commercial product. It's free and will always be free as long as I can afford to support it. Paypal donations will be accepted to help support infrastructure costs, though nothing is set up and the moment. As part of not being a commercial product, it comes with no warranty or support. This is basically a project I put together for fun and I’ll be chuffed if people enjoy using it, and more importantly share routes with their friends, but I don’t have a ton of time set aside for continual support.

I have also not intended to make any sort of statement to the current rally products available in the the market. This project has actually been inspired by the other product, approaches and people in the industry. It is simply something I created to address the way I’d like to build roadbooks (which it did) and I hope it adds value to the worldwide rally community. ANYONE is free to take code, workflow, images, lexicon glyphs, logos, or design and use it as they see fit as long as such derivatives are properly attributed per the GPL-2.0 license. Go build something neat on top of what I’ve done and please let us know what sort of neat things you’re up to.

So how can I get it:

I had grand plans to do some fancy schmancy packaging and have a download server but turns out I'd rather ride or work on bikes than figure that out at this time. Until then...

To get your copy just download it from one of these links:

Windows 7+
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd6831hvjmlcqfh/tulip_v1.8.4.zip?dl=0
    OSX 10+
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fg05ekaq8qvmso/tulip_v1.8.4.zip?dl=0

@rides2little has written up an awesome manual as well which should help those of you getting started:

I'd like to thank inmates:
    @pilo for all his great ideas, motivation, inspiration, and feedback on this project.
    @rides2little for being my main man for testing inspiration and feedback.
    @theantipaul for all the help with gear and protection items for my various racing and non racing misadventures.
    @cross-country for letting some stranger chase him around the Glade in NM like 6 years ago and letting me tag along on some crazy adventures. None of half of the shit I've done on a motorcycle would have happened if it wasn't for this guy.

Happy Rallying!
    [​IMG]
  2. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Drew for this gift to the Rallye community, I for one am very impressed!
    Wannabeeuro and 640 Armageddon like this.
  3. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff! Congrats!

I love the simplicity and stability of Tulip, no crashing or freezing. I haven't tried the cut and paste function yet but that is the huge! Can't wait to use it more!
    640 Armageddon likes this.
  4. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Hey Drew, most don't realize it yet, but you just dropped a big fat awesome gift on the rally world. Thanks for sharing this and for letting me play a small part in it. It has been, and will continue to be fun to work on.
  5. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty neat Drew. I just created a fork to add some data formats that will help with interchange between other apps. Been quietly working on some of that for a while.

Dave
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  6. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will want to pull master again once i merge the feature branch im working on in. Cleaned up a lot of the back end and added some automated testing. Just trying SOLID everything up and add good test coverage
    640 Armageddon and DaveRMS like this.
  7. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Awesome new tool!

It's so cool to see all the innovation and improvements in the tools and hardware over the past few years. It's making it easier and so much more attractive to get into rally, especially here in the North America where we went from almost nothing twelve years ago to several businesses, many fun navigation rides, training events, and now world class races.

Doers doing what they love, and making rally better for everyone. So cool!
  8. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of features that make this better then what's out there, but what I like best is that it's stand alone and not server based. Your work is your own and resides safely on your own computer.

I'm loving it, great job Drew!
  9. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has been fun to be a part of in a small way. I am always good to f@$k up a bowling ball with a toothpick, aka beta tester.... It's been a great learning experience and awesome to see it progress and have features that are different than what's out there already. I dig making routes with this and being able to chop them up, then link them tougher with new bits. I will say good file management and naming is crucial to having that be successful though. Cool to see how other people work their routes from a process standpoint.
  10. ayrton

ayrton n00b

Oddometer:
    Great news.... Can't wait to finish your project. A big gift to rally community...Keep walking!!!
  11. oden

oden lone rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds pretty cool, what about output formats?
  12. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pdf in letter, continuous roll and A5 if I remember correctly. And GPX file for almost direct use in Rally Blitz apps and Rally Comp devices.
    oden and 640 Armageddon like this.
  13. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said. Also of note, everything is in the metric system as well.
    oden, 640 Armageddon and DaveRMS like this.
  14. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pull request submitted to include support for OpenRally.org GPX format.

Nice stuff Drew. It's amazing how much better the libraries are now than they were in 2012. Nice job!

Dave
    havoc1 likes this.
  15. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Approved! thanks for digging in, hopefully that standard gains momentum.
    640 Armageddon and pierrejaune like this.
  16. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. oden

oden lone rider

Oddometer:
    As a non-DTP, non-professional guy, an amateur really I got very disappointed with RN and the reluctance to make it possible to print roll charts longer than 200" (5 meters) on roll paper. The generated PDF file has a page break at 200" and this messes up roll printing a 15 (or even 30) meter long roadbook real bad. Sure, I can buy an overpriced MAC and some really expensive DTP softwares to edit the generated PDF file, to remove the page break and so on, but I shouldn't have to. Also I should not have to pay a print shop to do this for me. I have a roll printer and I have hundreds of meters of roll paper (148mm wide) and a special holder for it.

if you do a little bit of research on the topic there is a technique called "tiling" to overcome the problem where the PDF reader may crash with a too big PDF file. Foxit PDF Reader (free) can make a tiled PDF and works really good.

The 200" limit is hardcoded into Adobe Acrobat Reader so don't use it.

With that said, I suggest you implement tiling from the start OR use an open document format and let the user have full control over the generated file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiled_printing
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
    https://www.libreoffice.org/

I have a background working long time with productization and security at a now defunct Linux distro called Mandriva Linux. So if you need the software built and packaged for any major Linux distro I can help with that.

Cheers.
    Sabu likes this.
  18. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll look into Open Doc output. The pdf output capabilities of the platform i'm building on is pretty limited so you'll probably be disappointed with that.
  19. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way Cool!!!!!!
  20. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    A question re the printing. What printer do you have that can print on A5 width rolls? I can access the rolls easy enough but the printer seems a bit harder to come by. I know there is a Epson that was mentioned and it seems like an option. Just wondering what you've got if its something that am home use model.