Open Sourcing Roadbook Creation: Introducing the tulip project.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by VxZeroKnots, Mar 31, 2017.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using Tulip for a few weeks now and am enjoying it. I have had it a couple of times when I have imported a GPX file, and am trying to edit the grip points or trying to add a grip point to follow a track, it just won't do it. I have found if I re open it I generally get the grips to work again and can edit the route. Is there a bug in the program or is something to do with the GPX file? I'm running it on Windows 10.

I have been importing the PDF route sheets into DriveMode running on my Android phone to follow them, looking forward to more time off...
  2. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:
    there are a few bugs. Save often and restart when necessary
    dazzadm likes this.
  3. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    It isn't without it's issues but using the mantra of Bjmotox 'Save often' really helps avert dissaster.
    dazzadm likes this.
  4. Happy Dave

Happy Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks r2l.

i have it working well on a mac.
    but my pc is where i'm having snafus. i have read this thread from start to finish and the information sharing is so awesome. i tried the permission settings thing mentioned prior as well.

thanks for your help
  5. rides2little

Oddometer:
    You have it extracted from the zip file and into a folder? Then just make a desktop shortcut to the tulip.exe file.
  6. Happy Dave

Happy Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 questions:

any way to get the google earth version to be more current ? Just created my 1st book and google earth was 3+ years old

also, anyone having the app freeze when trying to import a gpx file? The T just keeps spinning

Thanks
  7. rides2little

Oddometer:
    You are stuck with whatever age imagery Google is pushing. There are several areas nearby where the images are 5-8 years old so three isn't so bad!

If you are having problems importing a GPX you should try converting it using GPSVisualizer website or GPS Babel . Not all GPX files are equal. As strange as it sounds just convert GPX to GPX with either of those tools and try importing again. I had a hell of a time with files out of Basecamp until I started converting with GPSBabel.
    dazzadm likes this.
  8. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:
    As stated, you’re stuck with however recent google decided to update the area. I use google earth pro alongside tulip to get an idea of terrain. But you won’t know until you ride. I have had perfectly good roads (on google maps) be completely gone when riding an actual route.

Can’t say I’ve had import issues. Although, I have heard of issues if the gpx came from basecamp
  9. Happy Dave

Happy Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  10. Happy Dave

Happy Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  11. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I am using Tulip fairly regularly to create group ride instructions, and all of us really happy with it.
    https://klrramblers.wordpress.com/
    I was looking for a full set of tulip symbols or library and ended up with the "2020 FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship Regulations" document as the best I could find (page 97).
    http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/download/164822/no_cache/1/
    While I had no problem with the French version, seems they are moving to English.
    I know my way around SVG files and added/modified some icons already in Tulip successfully.
    Would it be a help if I create a complete updated icon library?
    I can also take suggestions for additions if something is used often, but not present in the document.
    Format wise, I can stick to what is used in Tulip already. Color-wise, would you prefer black and white, grayscale, or color glyphs?
    I can do testing by loading my own icons and see if I can insert it into the roadbook.
    Let me know if I can help with this.
    Andrew
    Ps.: PM me if we need to go into more discussion and you don't want to "overload" the AdvRider forum with it.
    dazzadm likes this.
  12. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:

I’ve actually already done this for myself and a few others to use...I can send you what I have as I believe there are a few missing. Feel free to PM me
  13. rides2little

Oddometer:
    There have been a few of us that have worked on the new Glyphs but it isn't quite as straightforward as just new glyphs. There is a naming issue, if you use the same name as existing names then when you open older roadbooks then the glyphs will be replaced and there could be issues with size and scaling. Adding new glyphs requires changes to another file within the app but also requires a recompile to get that all functional....

If there is someone well versed in JS and who has the bandwidth I would love to provide the latest glyphs and updated file with the correct names...

Chris
  14. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:

You are correct. adding one or two is fairly straightforward and seems to work. Having an entire new library required me to recompile the app itself. I actually kept a lot of the old glyphs (by request), and added a ton of the new ones. It took some work to get functional but haven’t had any issues.

I’m not an expert in JS by any means, but I do have basic knowledge in dev work which allowed me to get all this going. I also recompiled the app to work on Mac as well (which is what I usually use), as that seemed to have been missing when I first started using tulip.

Since I have already done this once, if we came to an agreement on a list of the desired glyphs...I could send that out to whoever wants it. I don’t want to have to have multiple “versions” though. Really wouldn’t take much time since I have a significant amount of the current SVG files anyway, may just need someone to create the missing ones.
  15. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I was thinking about the naming issue overnight and it isn't that bad as it looks at first.
    -We can keep all the "old" glyphs for backward compatibility's sake.
    -For naming convention for the "new" glyphs
    01-cat-sub-name.sgv, where "01" is for versioning, "cat" is category like "org", "rte", "ter". "sub" is for the sub category like "man", "nat", "sym"
    The "high voltage line" would get the name "01-ter-man-high_voltage_line.svg"​
    In this way there is no need to do a major change in the code, just update the part which displays the glyphs. In the distant future, Tulip could pick all SVG starting with the relevant version number and generate the glyph "library" automatically.

I have never touched any Java stuff. Is anyone know if Tulip can be compiled on Linux without major pain? Since there is an OS X version, I wouldn't expect any major issues.
    I already cloned the git repo just haven't gathered enough courage to look into it.
    Andrew
  16. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Maybe some of the missing ones are in this PDF, it covers the earlier referred FIM document. (Deleted as not relevant anymore.)

The order of business seems to be:
    1) Decide on the list of glyphs.
    2) Create/acquire the missing ones
    3) Do some coding to include all new glyphs in Tulip

Can someone create a simple text file in the git repo with the list of the glyph names we want to use? Once we agreed on the list we can look into the design on what to use.
    I can compile a list if that is OK and post it here or email someone.

Andrew
  17. rides2little

Oddometer:
    I think the names need to kept as simple as possible and match the FIM naming schema for the sake of searching them. I am 99% sure I have all the new glyphs created but will go back through my folder and check. The way the app is written I believe you need to update the index.html file before compiling so that all the glyphs will show in the library and are searchable. It would take much more work to get it to the point where the app would be smart enough to 'add' a new glyph to the library. The other problem with custom glyphs is that if you share the *.tlp file with someone else and they don't have the same glyphs it causes problems.

Give me a few weeks to get the bandwidth to dig back into it and I think there will be an updated library version with Bjmotox's help.
    MasterMarine, enduro0627 and Bjmotox like this.
  18. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Thank you for all the good work you put into this project. I will wait patiently.
  19. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Hi adventure riding people,
    After drinking a considerable amount of makgeoli and consuming kimchi as snack I ended up with this Linux version of Tulip 1.8.4
    First, I would like to say thank you for @VxZeroKnots for creating and @rides2little and @Bjmotox for all the support and work they put into this piece of software.
    There are some things you need to know...
    -I did all this on Debian 10 and it works for me. I would expect it to work on other Linux distros as well. You definitely need to do your distro specific library installations, but there shouldn't be major trouble. If you are using Linux, you already familiar with this stuff.
    -I did update the glyphs to the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship Regulations 26-02-2020 update document (link above in post #131). The glyphs scaling could be better, but since you can do scaling in Tulip it is fine for me.
    -It isn't in Git right now. I will see how do I feel about it tomorrow... Right now a bit dizzy.
    -Feedback is welcome, but don't expect support from me. Although, you can always try...
    Andrew

Oh, and the link for the tgz archive: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvcbu91kw3jt4gd/tulip-debian10-x64.tgz?dl=0
    txingui, rides2little and VxZeroKnots like this.
  20. Dawannes

Dawannes n00b

Oddometer:
    Question, any chance for an IPad app, so we can update, manage routes while travelling long time, easier to carry, and use in general or even a web based app??
    I think we all would welcome it , but so far,awesome app, so easy , and fast, stunning
    Regards
    Johan