Open Sourcing Roadbook Creation: Introducing the tulip project.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by VxZeroKnots, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:
    If you really want to use “mobile” Tulip, i would suggest leaving a computer on at home, and using a Remote Desktop app on the iPad. You would need internet either way, so this allows you to accomplish everything an app would. Obviously it won’t be as seamless as a real app, but I don’t think anyone is working on (or planning) a tulip mobile app.

similarly, a web based app is not being worked on (that I know of). Doing so would come with extra costs, and I think it was beyond the goal of tulip (my assumption).
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  2. Dawannes

Dawannes n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, but am talking months away, remote, so that’s why I asked, never know what technological solutions exist these days.....:-)))
  3. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at Rally Navigator for what you are asking for. They have the Apple/Android apps for creating and displaying roadbooks and are web based.
  4. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Johan, Interesting proposition. I think the intended main function of Tulip is to create sexy printed roll charts. What you described is more appropriately covered by Google maps, OpenStreetMaps or one of the offline routing/GPS phone apps.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  5. Dawannes

Dawannes n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, thanks for all the help, but been trying those for ages, in my humble opinion Tulip does exactly what I need, and fast, indeed, most trips are on road, but quite a few off road, and that’s where Tulip excels, all others are quit cumbersome and not always have correct gps data to transfer to gps or other gadgets, or plain simply to hard to make a track , I am a big fan of the ease of Tulip, Rally Navigator is good if you do semi pro, difficult or hard trips, but is also hard to work with
    Thanks for the replies though
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  6. ELGENERAL

ELGENERAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello mate. does it have to be with an epson r3000 or can it be an inferior epson model? it´s too expensive for me. thanks.
  7. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 19:00 into this video I like to think we played some small part in the first (United States of) American Dakar victory

:D

to be continued...
  8. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a chance, but it is at best a year away. If the pandemic lockdowns continue or worsen that chance may become greater.

No promises.
  9. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    You have no idea how important this software became as well as those that found workarounds to other apps that let us train the way we did. I wish I could recognize and thank all those that helped before they knew what they were accomplishing. We basically hacked every technology available to make it work for our very specific needs and it did the job. Tulip was a big part because of the way it was able to play with Rally Blitz. If you know then I owe you a beer or even more than that!!!
    Jeff Sichoe, Regolith, dooby and 10 others like this.
  10. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WE ALL DO!! Thank you VZK!
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  11. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some birdies from UT told me you've been cooking up some ideas as well... :D
  12. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will be invited if/when I do, brotha!
    Simp801, MasterMarine and VxZeroKnots like this.
  13. Simp801

Simp801 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, this sounds interesting.
  14. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    A happy New Year to all of you, and I hope it is not too late for those who are running some flavor of Linux for a Christmas gift.

It was the season when I had a bit more “me time” and added a couple of new stuff to the Linux version of the editor.

tulip-v2.png

There are a few new glyphs that I wanted to add, and fixed the scaling of others to make editing easier flowing.

If you have access to a color printer, the entry and exit tracks are already highlighted with a light green color, so you have less hustle when marking the roadbook. The green “highlighter” is reasonably light so a black and white print will not add a gray bar to the roll chart and you still need to mark it with a highlighter. If you want to.

There is also a little pin added to the joint of the entry and exit tracks to make clear which point is the road book talking about.

I am pretty happy with the result, but it is far from perfect. There are scenarios when the “highlighter” of the exit track is covering the end of the entry track and looks like there is a bit of a gap in the track. Couldn’t figure out how to fix it, but I will think about this. Since the “highlighter” gives a solid continuity to the route, I am not really troubled about this “feature”.

Download it, try it and let me know if something is awfully off.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdef8dofoqds1i5/tulip-debian10-x64_06012021.tgz?dl=0
  15. ssandijss

ssandijss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks perfect! It wil not work on windows, yes?
  16. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! did you create a pull request for this?

If he checked in the source code you could always package it for windows yourself, it's not too terrible.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  17. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:

The original build script creates both. Assuming this is what he used, there should also be an EXE within the folder that will work with windows. Will have to confirm this is how the changes were pushed though.
  18. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, does it? :lol3
  19. Bjmotox

Bjmotox Brendan Crow

Oddometer:
    Oh I see now. Guess I should pay more attention to details, lol....:kboom
    rides2little and VxZeroKnots like this.
  20. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    HELP!!! I am pulling out my hair. :baldy
    Can't figure out how to change the default font in the "waypoint note" to large ( size 5) and bold.
    I can set the slider to "large" in the index.html
    <input type="range" min="3" max="6" value="5" id="note-selection-size-range"....
    I can change the #note-editor in the CSS to have 20px font when I edit it, but it doesn't want to stick.
    Exiting the editor switches back to normal size.
    What do I miss?