Open Sourcing Roadbook Creation: Introducing the tulip project.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by VxZeroKnots, Mar 31, 2017.

1. enduro0627

enduro0627 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have figured it out. Just ignore the previous post.
  2. ELGENERAL

ELGENERAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi. wich cheap printer can i use for print roadbook in dinA5 format??
  3. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I have a Brother DCP1610W Mono Laser.
    Great for me. Although you need to know what are you doing. Loads of people doesn't understand networks and wireless protocols and have problems with this model. Not for everyone.
    I would recommend a laser printer. The print doesn't run when somehow get wet or just there are way too much moisture in the air. Like NZ winter months. (-:
    200w.gif
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  4. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    P.S.: If I could, I would send a nice printer to you solely for the use of the word DIN. Haven't seen/heard it for ages. Thanks.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  5. ELGENERAL

ELGENERAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here the use of DIN is normal, I don't know in the rest of the world or in other languages, but we have the paper measurements unified by DIN, dinA5 ... dinA4 ... dinA3 ....
  6. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    What is your budget? Technically, any printer with DINa4 paper good. Just chose the option to print two pages on one DINa4 sheet in the print dialog. Then you need to do some slicing.
  7. ELGENERAL

ELGENERAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know, but I have rolls of continuous paper in dinA5 paper weighing 80 grams and I want to use them, so there is no need to cut or paste anything.
    my budget ..... as cheap as possible, if I can spend € 200 ... better than 300. right?
  8. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Dot Matrix printer?
    No other cheap printer I know of with the ability to print on a roll. There are those thermal roll printers, and the huge "plotters", but that isn't help here.
    There are some HP InkJet which can print on roll, but can't find which one right now.
    You're next problem will be the program to print from. All drivers and program, what I saw there, was always asking the question of the page size. I am very interested in what can you find.
    When I got into this " madness" the most cost-effective way I could find was the laser printer+a5 paper+tape.
    ZachM1 likes this.
  9. ELGENERAL

ELGENERAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I have seen this functioning. Making support for the roll is not any problem for me. per is pretty expensive ...... I was looking for some more economical printer that could do the same .......
  10. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    The good news:
    - The very cheap Lexmark Z1300 will print on roll paper, unlimited length. I printed hundreds of long roadbooks using this approach.
    - Here it is in action, with my custom paper feeder:

The bad news:
    - This printer is very old and there are no drivers for it after Windows XP.
    - If you have large rolls (like the butcher paper I used), the printer feed isn't strong enough to pull the paper and rotate the heavy roll, so it screws up the printing. You need some sort of automatic feed machine to turn a big roll.
    ELGENERAL and enduro0627 like this.
  11. ELGENERAL

ELGENERAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it´s nice for me!!!! my rolls are smaller than yours.. and i have and old portable pc working with windows xp. i will looking for one lexmark.....
  12. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    I have an Epson that works with rolls. When shopping, look up the manual of the exact model printer to see if it supports roll printing. Most photo printers do.

I wouldn't recommend my Epson as a first choice. The printing software is a bit goofy and so I print letter pages that are zoomed so that there is a little cruft between them at the page break. It's unnoticeable when riding, but the fuss factor for printing is higher than it should be.

If you're printing black and white roadbooks on a color printer, get a cartridge refiller programmer. Mine was $10 on ebay. It allows you to keep printing with black ink when the color cartridges are empty or aged out.
  13. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    End of an era...
    Hi, guys (and girls),
    I have updated both of my computers from Debian 10 to Debian 11. Turns out the Tulip (Linux version) I made is not working on Debian 11.
    No problemo, Need to install the developer tools again, run the packaging and I am good to go.
    Unfortunately, somehow I lost my code during the update. The only thing I lost...
    I have no idea when I can get this project going again. Until then, You can use the Debian 10 version if you can, but I will be not able to fix any issues.
    It feels like a piece of me is lost. :-(
    ZachM1, VxZeroKnots and CavReconSGT like this.
  14. Omegart

Omegart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a scan with testdisk to check if the files are still present at block level
  15. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion. But... I am spinning up VMs for different projects. As part of my upgrade, I did some housekeeping and sent old VM images down in the Sarlacc pit. The tulip-dev got mixed in somehow. There is no way back from there.

pit.gif
    VxZeroKnots, CavReconSGT and Omegart like this.
  16. Omegart

Omegart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even better if it’s a vm. If you didn’t zeroed the deleted file or the free space maybe you can find the vmdk image file
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  17. enduro0627

Oddometer:
    I have spent the last two days to try re-do my Tulip hacks, but no luck.
    Too much has changed since 2017 (or whenever the code was last updated).
    Java modules used in Tulip got deprecated or completely re-engineered. Despite doing programing work from time to time, I am no Java expert by any means. I was O.K. to hack the "current" version but, it seems to be a substantial overhaul needed on the code to get it working on my systems (Debian11). This work is way beyond my knowledge, abilities, and resources (time).
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  18. Happy Dave

Happy Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haven't figured out how to take 2 separate imported gpx tracks and add them together.....can anyone lend a hand, thank you
  19. ZachM1

ZachM1 I'm a meat popsicle

Oddometer:
    Multiple ways to do that come up in DuckDuckGo with the search:
    merge two gpx tracks
  20. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking its trivial to do as they are text files. Examining them with a good editor you should be able to slash and burn to easily combine the files. If you are really having a problem contact me on mail and I can take care of it for you.

KR