"open" title on new KTM's

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by oneguyinmaine, Dec 31, 2008.

1. oneguyinmaine

oneguyinmaine Noob

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I visited the local KTM stealer today and the sales manager told me that all KTM's, even the non-street legal ones had what he called an "open title" which could be used to register ANY KTM for the street. I can't remember the exact model but he had a KTM offroad bike with a Baja Designs kit on it, 2005 model year, but never registered yet could be put right on the road. Can anyone elaborate on this for me?

Jared
    Bangor, ME
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Historically KTM MSOs do not state "for off road use only", at least not for the four stroke bikes.

I'm not sure on the 2 strokers or post 2007 when the EXC bikes became street legal.

The MSO is what KTM supplies, this gets surrendered to the DMV in exchange for your title, usually the dealer does this.

Whether you can register on the street as a result of this varies from state to state. Some states you can register even the Japenese bikes who's MSOs are labelled "off road use only". Other states, you need an MSO like KTM supplies and in others they either specificallly black list certain bikes or you need the frame sticker showing it's fully legal.
  3. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Usually true. Ask to see the title or MSO and make sure then check your states laws. If you have annual inspections with strict laws it may complicate things. Don't get hung up on the two stroke thing like every one does. It doesn't matter. A tagged bike is a tagged bike. No one at the dmv cares or even knows what a 4 or 2 stroke is. In 2006 the street legal EPA approved excs came out and the paper work changed. If it was tagged in your state ,or most others,before it shouldd be good.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Theres a guy in Cycle News who has a business in CA legalizing dirt bikes,so it can be done.
  5. XRider

XRider Almost Lifelike

Oddometer:
    Here in Silicon Valley, Northern California there is an outfit called Joe Racer that claims to be able to plate anything. In fact the previous owner of my BRP got it plated through Joe Racer (for $1500 w/h DSK). It's registered under the "special construction" rules and was issued a new VIN and date of manufacture. Even though it is a model year 2001 the DMV thinks it's a 2004. The "special construction" designation is how those guys on TV that build choppers from scratch get them registerd. I don't know if Joe Racer is still doing this or how the emissions rules effected his business. As for the KTM, I would feel pretty good about any bike that comes plated from the dealer. On the other hand I would feel very uneasy about a salesman telling me it's no problem and that I have to take care of it. Salesman always tell the truth.....right?:lol3
  6. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. 2007 not 2006
  7. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    OK
  8. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    Nor do they care what your dealer told you. Check with them before buying if there's a doubt.
  9. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's really hard to do it in Georgia. I never could with my DRZ 400 E, but a couple years ago a friend of mine got a tag and title for a 2003 CRF 450. He said he had to get a bonded title, whatever that is.
  10. KYkid

KYkid 0000

Oddometer:
    I am a tech at a KTM dealer and we tag 2 and 4 strokes quite often. It is very easy here in Kentucky but may be more difficult elsewhere. It is true that KTM MSOs do not state "for off road use only" but I would check your local DMV first.
  11. KTMandu

KTMandu Adventurer Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got my 06 400 EXC titled and plated here in Louisiana. I bought it "pre-owned" from the local dealer and the MSO had it set out as an OHV. So to get it plated, I bought and installed a Baja Designs D/S kit plus insurance for the bike. Then I had to bring the bike to the La. State Police to obtain an inspection certificate. The trooper had never done an inspection before and just looked for headlight, tailight, blinkers and odo. I asked him if I needed to start the bike for him to see if everything worked and he said no. Once I got the certificate, I had to go the the Dept of Motor Vehicles to get the lic plate. The lady at the DMV had never done a change of this type before and we had a little drama before I was able to get the plate. She wanted to know what the mileage was and I had to explain the history of the bike and the fact that there was no mileage since the odo was just installed. She said the computer would not accept 0 for mileage :huh and that I would have to go back to the St Police to get the certificate amended or a new certificate to show some mileage since the inspection certificate had 0 miles on it. Long story short, she called the St Police, they told her to just amend the certificate to show 10 miles---I got my plate. Could'a been worse. I'm now street legal. :clap
  12. oneguyinmaine

oneguyinmaine Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. I've got a direction to go in now. I've been thinking about getting a second bike for more "serious" trail riding but I still want to be able to ride on public roads. I hate bikes on trailers. :wink:
  13. Lumpyboy

Lumpyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always check the MCO. Some states do require KTM to put "not for highway use" on the SX models but in most states all KTMs come with "clean" MCOs. Also, in some states (MA for example), if the first owner did not title the bike it is very difficult to get it titled. An MCO is not assignable. It belongs to the first owner and that's it. It's not like a title.
  14. crillyiv

crillyiv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This might only apply in CA.

Check with your insurance company about whether or not they will cover a vehicle with a special construction title. Some insurance companies will not.

I always check with my insurance company before getting any vehicle just so I don't get any surprises after I've made the purchase.
  15. LILBIT

LILBIT Ride you must.

Oddometer:
    Progressive will do it and their prices are hard to beat.