Operation Moto Dog | Girl, Dog, Hack - Alaska & Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mallorypaige, Jun 20, 2015.

1. beachz

beachz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I extend my deepest condolences. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us and allowing us to get to know Baylor. I am sure there is a special place for him to RIP.
    mallorypaige likes this.
  2. franko58

franko58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mallory: I am sorry for your lose of Baylors' perspective.
    mallorypaige likes this.
  3. branchkin

branchkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We went to my daughter's family yesterday afternoon to watch the Falcon's game. The first thing my grand daughter said to me when we went in was "Pop, let me get the laptop and let's look at the pictures of Baylor that Mallory posted." With almost 300k views, I don't think you have any idea how many people you and Baylor touched in a positive way. Best wishes.
    mallorypaige and larryboy like this.
  4. By-tor

By-tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mallory,
    My condolences to you. I recently went through this process.
    Just know that you have filled Baylors life with a certain joy and love that most pets do not receive. Feel good that you have made the life he had here the best one possible.
    All we can do is love them and share our life with them and make it special.
    Thank you for Sharing all of your moments with us.
    All the best,
    Eric
    mallorypaige and just jeff like this.
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    My condolences Mallory! You two were an incredible team. Check in once in a while to let us know how you are!
    mallorypaige likes this.
  6. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog

Oddometer:
    Having a good thought for you. No dog had a better life.

mallorypaige likes this.
  7. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    My deepest condolences, Mallory!:cry:cry RIP Baylor:cry
    mallorypaige likes this.
  8. Crashes

Crashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Malory it is with tears in my eyes writing you to say my condolences for your best friend Baylor. I know you will miss him greatly as all of us on here have missed our beloved best friends. I have had the great pleasure of reading along with everyone else on you and Baylor's awesome travels. I have had to see 4 of my best friends in the world leave this physical earth knowing I will one day see them again. There is one thing I know is I have to have a best friend and so life goes on with my next best friend. I do not replace but simply start with a new. It is the way of us dog lovers. RIP Baylor
    mallorypaige likes this.
  9. GavD

GavD n00b

Oddometer:
    Mallory,

I've been lurking around here for far too long without writing a word, but felt I needed to post something now.

I picked up your thread in it's early days I marveled at the bravery of the young girl and her best friend setting out on their adventure on what I consider to be the ONLY form of transport to have an adventure on. You transported me from the comfort of my sofa to a place I can but dream of nowadays. Having had some rather small (compared to yours) motorcycle adventures around Europe in my 20's, every time I have logged in to catch up on your journey, I promised myself that once the chicks have flown the nest I would plan something myself, and that is partly down to you. I thank you.

The main reason for my first post, though is to offer my condolences at the loss of your best friend. I have come to know the delights of dog ownership a bit later in life mainly due to being restricted on owning one earlier by the uncertainties that a life in the armed forces puts upon you. Mine is now getting towards 10 years old and I dread the day that I know my family and I will have to deal with. If we handle that day half as well as you have, we will do well.

Baylor was extremely lucky to have been found by such a wonderful person with a keen sense of adventure. I hope that spirit remains with you, and that you will share it with us.

Regards
    Gav
  10. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My heart felt condolences go out to you Mallory as I know the pain you are feeling. With the lose of my second dog right before Christmas 2016. I got two lad puppies from my wife's work pal back in 2002 one yellow one black, Cody and Max we named them. We Lost Cody in march 2016, then we found out Max had cancer on the 23rd of December 2016. So instead of putting him through any more then we know he had, we decided to what was best for him.

It's never easy saying goodbye to anyone, let alone your best friend and partner in crime of 12 years. My rest is knowing that when ever I get to that door, my boys will be waiting for me, as I am sure Baylor will be waiting for you.
    mallorypaige and knuckle like this.
  11. mallorypaige

mallorypaige Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for the beautiful, heartfelt comments. This community continues to amaze me with all it has to offer. Thank you.

Of course, I miss Baylor. It's impossible to spend more than a decade with someone and not feel an ache in their absence. But I see that as a good thing. Evidence that we were indeed important in each other's lives, proof that I was blessed to have such a loving and loyal friend. And so I'm not sad. I'm very, very grateful. I look back and smile. We went for it. Made the most of our time together and lived without regrets.

I explain more about it in this post I wrote for Ruffwear. Hopefully you enjoy it.

Read on the Ruffwear Blog Here>>

Or here:

Life is Short, Live in Dog Years
    Story and Photos Contributed by Ruffwear Ambassador Mallory Paige, in loving memory of her adventure pal, Baylor the Dog.

I used to say a dog’s short life was the hardest part about making them your best friend, but now I know it’s actually the biggest gift. My dog, Baylor, taught me that.

[​IMG]

For 12 years, Baylor and I did everything together. As a tiny puppy he followed me from room to room, unable to relax unless we were snuggled up together. He went on his first road trip at just 11-weeks-old and was irreversibly convinced he was the size of a chihuahua.

[​IMG][​IMG]

He wasn’t perfect, and that’s what I liked about him. Years of never getting into anything were intermixed with moments of gobbling down an entire carrot cake, shredding a wicker wastebasket and methodically eating an entire rock garden.

[​IMG]

He was an adventure pup through and through, having visited most Canadian provinces and every US state (except Hawaii), climbed Colorado 14ers, camped across the continent, paddled whitewater rivers, and swam in more bodies of water than most people can imagine.

[​IMG]

He taught me what it means to fully live every moment. To get lose-your-mind excited when it snows and run with uninhibited joy on the beach – even if you’ve been there a hundred times before. He taught me to wake up with a smile and go to bed tired from a day well lived. To turn strangers into friends and greet everyone you meet with optimistic enthusiasm.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Most of all he taught me what it means to be loyal and connected. To love someone with all your might and only want the best for them. To be willing to sacrifice and to give without martyrdom. To be generous and kind, patient, and loving.

[​IMG][​IMG]

He got the most out of his 12 years of life – laughing, playing, and loving until the last moments. And while I still miss him viscerally and deeply at some point each day, I’m not sad. Instead I’m unbelievably grateful. Because of his presence at my side, I had the courage to move across the country, to sell everything and tour in an old van, to live in a tiny house on wheels planting roots in a new community, to camp our way across the continent on a motorcycle-sidecar. He was my best friend and copilot. My inspiration to get out there and go for it.

[​IMG]

Bringing Baylor home as a puppy, I made a list of all the adventures I dreamed of sharing with him. And I took that seriously, marking them off one by one. Knowing we would only have a decade or so together was a much needed force in my life. Looking at him was a reminder that each day was precious and our time together would be over in a blink of an eye. I gave my best to him for 12 years and in return he gave me his entire life. Excitedly charging into unknown. Living each moment with unmatched passion and enthusiasm.

[​IMG]

These friends, sidekicks, copilots, adventure buddies and fur babies of ours never live as long as we wish, but I’ve come to understand there’s good reason for that. I see now that a dog’s short lifespan is a great gift indeed. A reality check and constant reminder. To live fully. To go after your dreams. To do it now without delay, because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.

[​IMG]

So whether or not you have a furry friend at your side, I urge you live in dog years. To make that list and go after with all your might.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Life is awesome and finite. Let’s make the most of it. Let’s live in dog years.

[​IMG]
    zer0focus, DSM8, WilVis and 27 others like this.
  12. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    I celebrate the amazing life of Baylor.

Rest in peace
    mallorypaige likes this.
  13. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you again for all you've shared here, Mallory. Baylor had an amazing life!!!:cry I'm glad my office has a door that closes. This got me all choked up here at work:( I need to go home and hug my dog:cry
    mallorypaige likes this.
  14. CactusBob'sDaughter

CactusBob'sDaughter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Mallory, for giving us a glimpse into your and Bay's world over this time. You have so eloquently put into words what so many of us feel deeply in our souls, but lack the vocabulary and language to express in a cogent, meaningful way. I yearn for adventure in my life -- you have demonstrated that it can be done with grace, humility, bravery, and humor. I adore my dogs, and they are as much a part of me as my children and grandchildren. I continue to grieve a loved 15 year old German Shepard lost to cancer nearly 2 years ago, as if it were yesterday. And yet, I AM THE LUCKY ONE to have had her in my life and heart. Your and Bay's story is one that will stay with me for a very, very long time. Know that you have deeply touched many in your adventure. May you continue to do so for years and years to come.

My utmost gratitude and best wishes,

Jen
    mallorypaige and shuckinator like this.
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at my OMD calendar this morning and thought 'I am very glad that Mallory shared Baylor and their trip with us.' Thank You Mallory.
    Best Regards....just jeff
    mallorypaige likes this.
  16. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    My deepest condolences, Mallory. I know what it's like to lose a furry best friend. Your kind words about Baylor brought tears to my eyes.

I only just discovered your story today, and I clearly have a LOT of catching up to do. In the meantime, I hope that you've been able to find peace, and have continued to live in the way that Baylor would want. All the best to you. – BL
    mallorypaige likes this.
  17. varago

varago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ORFORD and Rawdon, Qc, cold almost all time
    He had a good life. And, jesus, do I like your life philosophy. Go ahead!
    mallorypaige likes this.
  18. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Mallory,
    I loved and looked forward to reading your episodes so I was excited to read an update...that was until I read the latest.
    And now I'm typing with tears.
    Your connection to Baylor was amazing to witness.
    mallorypaige likes this.
  19. mallorypaige

mallorypaige Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am so honored to be a part of this community here. You all are the best!
  20. TS888

TS888 Deer dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mallory,

Isabel says "woof."

I can't improve on that.

T
    zer0focus and sages like this.