1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion.... loaded topic

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Street Hawk, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Street Hawk

Street Hawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I am new to trials, background in both street and dirt. Bought an 09 EVO 290 this spring to see if I’d enjoy trials riding and I’ve been riding it for a couple months now. Great bike but a bit clapped out and looking at something newer. In particular a new EVO 200 and a 2015 Sherco st 300.
    Off the start, I could think learning the sport on the 200 might be much better for me. So I’m leaning that way. But would the 200 feel too small after a year or 2? I will be doing a lot of trail riding and climbing with it as well as challenging myself to improve my skills. I do wonder if the 300 will be too much to learn properly? I know my 290 was a fair bit of motor more than I needed but was great for trail riding with enduros. I also wonder if the 200 will feel too small.
    So basically, would those who ride em or know them think a 200 is going to feel to small to quick?

And yes, I do seem to be addicted to yet another two wheeled hobby. I love bikes. So many great ways to enjoy them.
  2. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    If you see yourself developing into a "trials rider", then the 200 will probably be a better bike to ride for two years. If you see this as another two wheeled hobby, the 300 is probably better. Personally, I wish small bore bikes were easier to get used. For what it's worth, there are things you can do to take the edge off the Sherco: flywheel weight, slow action throttle, and low compression head are options that I know about.

Common wisdom says "get the smaller displacement bike", however, most people I meet ride a 300. I think the two biggest reasons are along the lines of the 300s are easier to find used and people generally like the idea of more power.

"Buy whichever is still for sale" is a pretty common decision making strategy in the very small world of locally available used trials bikes. If you're spoiled for choice, buy the one that's in better condition. If neither of those tie breakers work, buy the one you want more because it's your money.
    Huzband likes this.
  3. cyclingbob2114

cyclingbob2114 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another option since you are looking into trail riding would be a Montesa. The 4 stroke power is super tractable and the bikes are super stable. More important the bikes are bullet proof plus parts are available at your local Honda dealer. If you are interested I have a 2017 260 4rt and a 2016 300 RR for sale. Trials bikes are reasonably cheap to ship as well. If you want pics and more info email me at gravitegraphics@gmail.com. Both bikes are super clean. Looking to sell my 260 to buy the 300 from my brother but if that goes first I am perfectly content to keep my 260. Best of luck. Bob
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  4. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy the 200 and if you out grow it in a couple of years, then buy a bigger bike. A used 200 will be easy to sell, if and when you're ready.
    If you have the budget to consider the new 200, then consider paying a bit more and buy a new 250.
    Huzband, riabma77 and lineaway like this.
  5. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I started in trails on a Sherco ST290, but found it hard to ride well, probably because I was so new. So I sold it and went to an older GasGas 200. That was the best decision I could have made. I had huge gains on that bike, and wrongly convinced myself it was holding me back because everyone else was on 300's. So I sold it and went to a new GasGas 300. Huge mistake. My skills tanked again on that bike. I found myself scared of the motor in big ledges and anywhere I had to use real power. I loved the suspension and frame of the newer bike, but was scared of the rest of it. I sold it and went to a newer Beta 200 again and I'm back in love. The motor is just right, still more power than I need, but I don't feel like it's trying to kill me. I'm an intermediate level trials rider and I think this Beta 200 is perfect for me!
  6. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy the 200. I was in the same spot a month ago and with the shortage of inventory right now I had my choice between a couple TRS 300s, a Vertigo 300 and a Vertigo 200, I bought the Vertigo 200. I do not regret getting a 200 at all, it has been more than enough for anything that I need to do. I also bought a Montesa 260 and that, with the slow throttle, has been easy to get comfortable on as well. It is always more fun, in my opinion, to over ride a smaller displacement bike than be punished by a bike that is too powerful for you. The 300 2ts are monsters and there is a reason that is what the best in the world ride. Buy the 200, ride it until you feel like you are missing power to do some big moves and then you can sell it with a minimal loss versus the fun and experience you have had on it.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  7. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    The 200 will be the better choice for Trials competition, 300s are more fun on the trails. If you're worried about the 200 buy a 250.
  8. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I was told, but I dont know what model year it started, that the 200's are actually damn near 200cc. Unlike the gasgas which called their 175cc models 200's up until they quit making them, in like 06.
    So 200, vs 250 vs 280/300 is miniscule on most all trials bikes. Go by rider weight, and altitude you ride in... us in the usa MANY of us weigh more than 180lbs. Have ridden 175cc gasgas, have it die when front wheel hits a fist size rock on a path - on the side of a hill which high sided me damn near 100 yards, where my 300 never ever hesitated... I rode at an event in New Mexico about 4 years back, even though I did recommended jetting for the event, my 300 suddenly was 175 power up there. That is why I like big bores, probably NOT the the utmost BEST reasoning, but after say 45 years of riding trials, and helping people learn to ride, 15 hours of getting used to any bike even the "big" (yes I snicker as I said that) ones, you should be OK. I mean training, not just putting around without some fellow trials rider that is much better than you, helping you learn.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  9. unospeeder

unospeeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also depends on the altitude where you generally ride. I typically ride at ~7000 feet+ and my EVO 300 is not too much for my mediocrity to handle
    jonnyc21 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  10. Street Hawk

Street Hawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the sage advice.
    I know with road racing I ended up having my most fun on an Aprilia rs125 and always feel it was more fun on track to wring the bikes neck then have the bike wringing your neck, so I see the value in having a smaller cc trials bike to learn the ropes. I know I’ve ended on my EVO 290 I’ve ended up on my back more than once, staring up at the sky wondering where all that power hit me from, haha
    Also, I have thought a slow action throttle may be helpful for learning on a 300 trials bike so I could probably go that route.
    jonnyc21 and unospeeder like this.
  11. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    It works well for me on my Beta 300. Really cheap way to smooth things out and reduce surprises.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking about putting the normal tube back on. I think that means I'm getting better, but I'm not convinced yet.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  12. edgerat

Oddometer:
    There are lots of ways to tame a 300, taller base gasket, low compression head, slow throttle, gearing even.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. flo10

flo10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny – no one ever suggest using an o-ring chain to reduce the power.
    jonnyc21, D2W, oldtrialer and 3 others like this.
  14. edgerat

Oddometer:
    I was going to suggest using a heavier oil to slow the engine down..... :bert
    jonnyc21, oldtrialer, 2whlrcr and 2 others like this.
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the EBC brakes come too thick, those are perfect to slow things down.
  16. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :fpalm Here we go again. :twitch
  17. CDMAN

CDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No matter what you do to tame a 300 the power is always there and if not controlled it can get you in to trouble. Better to ride a smaller displacement bike when learning the skills.
    Huzband, 2whlrcr and riabma77 like this.
  18. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    One of our riding buddies had his kid riding his Beta 300 4T the other day. I think he is about 9 or 10.
  19. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Yea, but that's a fourstroke and you guys live at 50k feet.
  20. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the pits are at 8600 feet that calms all bikes down. In fact you might want to hotrod it a bit to get some beans back.
    Yinzer Moto and jonnyc21 like this.