1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Tires for 800XC Tiger

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by h2000fb, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had E07 on my last bike. Liked them a lot. Soon as I wear through these battle wings I’ll be buying them again. Lots of positive and long term reviews of them on revzilla.
  2. ArtGarfunkel

ArtGarfunkel MotoSouth

Oddometer:
    I tried to get some for my Tiger 800 XCX and the rear tire is out of stock and will not be coming back (according to revzilla).

I’m really bummed, because I really wanted to try these out too. I don’t care for the E07+ since the knob size is very different.

Does anyone know where I can still get some? The other sizes are still available, just not the 150/70-17.
  3. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    I hope that’s not the case. Performance cycle here in Denver had a large tire shop and an online store. I don’t know if they ship tires or not.
  4. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    I just looked, they are out of stock too
  5. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:

No, I was looking to put my 3rd set on, but couldn't find them any where.

However, I went with the MotoZ tractionator (sp) It's pretty close to the E07s. The only thing I've noticed so far that I hear them more at low speeds than I did the E07s.
  6. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    How do you like those compared to the karoo3? Those are the two tires I’m considering
  7. tattoo Dave

tattoo Dave Life is always better when your riding

Oddometer:
    :beerWell I've only got a little over 3000 miles so far am liking them a lot, not real noise and traction is very good so far and to early to tell on mileage. I will let you know when I put more miles on.
  8. GrayRat

GrayRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    E7022F85-E102-4A22-85C1-CA1B67505A10.jpeg CAF4365E-EC2E-4480-9114-4C93EE8ACB3F.jpeg
    tattoo Dave likes this.
  9. GrayRat

GrayRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mitas E-07 Dakar’s. Quite in the street up to 100 mph + and decent in the dirt. Stand up ride with confidence and the bike goes where you want it to with confidence. Feels lighter than it is. One the flip side, my KTM 1290SAR feels like a fat pig with its TKC80’s unless the ground is perfectly tacky and I’m not tired. Did I mention tire wear? Mitas good vs. TKC80 bad. Just my personal experience. I have a set of Mitas for the KTM ready to go in my garage if I don’t sell it first with less that 2000 miles and get a BMW GS1250 for long distance touring. Tiger isn’t going anywhere. Great mid distance play around bike, commuter, canyon blaster, trail blazer. Feels lighter than it is.
    tattoo Dave likes this.
  10. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update: 12500km now, similar riding pattern, about 2.5mm left.
    So if i would wear them down to the wear indicator i would probably get about 15000km out of them. Regarding the wear, the E07 at the front does about match the E07+ at the rear, so from this perspective they are a good match.

I will not use them until the end because i will switch to more offroad biased tires next week.
    Actually i think the E07/E07+ is the perfect "adventure tire", offers good performance on and offroad and last reasonably long.
    But the raining season here in Thailand has begun, which means a muddy mess when going offroad after it did rain.

Sadly the only tire choices i have here in Thailand are TKC80 and Mitas E10 Dakar, no other brand with this type of tire (in Tiger size) is selling their tires here (Not even Veerubber or Motoz who produce in Thailand)
    Quite a few people complained about the bad performance of the E10 front tire, and many others about the longevity of a TKC80 rear.
    So now i will be getting a TKC80 for the front and a Mitas E10 Dakar for the rear, let's see how it performs.
  11. GrayRat

GrayRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You actually have some good choices. Expensive only! Lol. You probably have a lot more mud? Where I am, we have close to zero mud. We have rocks, rocks and more rocks, mixed with sand and clay. Lol
  12. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's usually some mixture of sand, clay and a few rocks, about like this here when going into the mountains in the north of Thailand:
    P1000505_edited.jpg
    (picture from Google)
    The Mitas E07/E07+ does a good job on this, no real complaints, but only when it's dry. Occasionly there are some quite sandy parts where i don't like the E07 front tire, but it's ok, just have to be careful.

When this gets wet (and this can happen within 10 minutes from sunshine to a kind of monsoon), this becomes this:
    1506055998418.jpg
    (picture from Google)
    And this is just too much for an E07/E07+, which is the reason i will switch to the TKC80/E10.

Sadly everything about driving a big adventure bike, except fuel (when comparing to Europe) and service costs (380 USD for the 20k service, i assume in the US you pay way more) are expensive here in Thailand.
    A Tiger 800 XCA costs about 20,000 USD.
    A TKC80 front 140 USD, rear 210 USD, a Mitas E10 Dakar front 120 USD, rear 170 USD.
  13. GrayRat

GrayRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you on the Mitas tires. When it gets slippery (mud) or deep sand, the front tire doesn’t have enough space between the knobs. So I skates a little. But the trade off is that the tire works like a street tire on asphalt. More surface area in contact to the ground. The TKC80 fronts work a little better in the dirt but don’t last on pavement. Not that they wear down, they just get wobbly at high speeds about 1/2 way through the wear cycle. Probably because the front brake is strong and causes the knobs to cup. I don’t really use my back brakes so they don’t affect the rear wheel. Rear Mitas has much deeper tread than the Continentals, so they last quite a bit longer.
  14. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So... looking to switch out my street tires, to something more dual use on my 2018 XRt, down to the Mitas E07+ and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR Tires, what I am reading here is the Mitas is the right answer, but there seems to be a size issue for avialbility.
  15. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
  16. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mitas E07 and E07+ after 13500km
    When measuring to the wear marker at the middle chevron, the E07 has about 1mm tread left and the E07+ 2mm. But as you can see on the second picture, the wear marker on the E07 is already even with the outer chevron.
    233224.jpg 233225.jpg

Exchanged for TKC80 front and Mitas E10 Darkar rear, just ridden them for 20km back home. The only thing which i can say so far is that vibrations are not as bad as i would have expected, just a bit stronger than the E07.
    233281.jpg 233282.jpg 233283.jpg

For future reference:
    The tread depth in the middle of the TKC80 front is about 9mm and the E10 rear 9-10mm, measuring the whole tread, not from the wear marker.
    ferals5 and 6.5x47L like this.
  17. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just put on a Shinko 804 front. Went for a test ride. Conditions dry and temp 60-something F. Still running a mostly worn 705 on the rear (805 sitting in the garage).
    Generally pleased with the 804. Did fine on fast highway sweepers (dry). Better traction on dirt and gravel than the 705, as expected. Only issue was that I got a speed wobble at around 90 m.p.h. A bit scary, but I don't normally ride that fast, so no biggie. Riding on wet highway will probably be not so great either, but that seems like an even exchange for better dirt traction.
  18. Hollywood D

Oddometer:
    I just put shinko’s on too. I’ll report back after a while on how they’re doing

56CE7BE0-C977-4165-A33B-F2494F71DBE2.jpeg 0856AB6C-AE84-4194-A512-B079739A1082.jpeg
  19. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring for the Michelin Anakee Adventure tires. They wear very well on the road, corner well, are quiet, and most importantly, can do this:

20. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    My trial of the Shinko 805 rear has ended after less than 1,000 miles. On a short ride this evening it went flat. Upon inspection, I located a nail through a large lug, and a stick through a shallow non-tread area. I plugged both and made it home fine (tubeless FTW!). The stick was irregular width and approx 1/4" diameter, and with that plus another plug, I decided to replace the tire. Luckily I had an extra 705 rear in the garage and I put that on.

My thought is: a stick. Seriously? I ride in the woods. Sticks happen. Maybe this was a freak incident, but with those big gaps in between the lugs vulnerable to puncture, this is not a tire I can trust.
    ATKinRC and tattoo Dave like this.