1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Tires for 800XC Tiger

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by h2000fb, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ironcobbler

ironcobbler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I installed a new 160/60 Bridgestone ax41s on my 800xc and so far I am very impressed with the confidence it provides on the street...endless grip mid corner on the throttle. I’m still using a Shinko 705 front but they seem to work just fine together. Normally I’m a Dunlop guy when it comes to sport/street tires but every new Bridgestone I’ve tried has left me impressed with the feedback and grip. I’m not expecting outstanding performance off road but for gravel roads I’m sure it will be sufficient.

IMG_0048.jpg
  2. Sir. Waffles

Sir. Waffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never got a flat on a Shink 805 :rofl I've run a couple now and got flats on both. One had a nail or something in the tread block and the other was big hole, like 10+ plugs big hole. It's not going to stop me from using them and I just spooned on my 3rd set. They work great and are dirt cheap. The 805 is probably just as likely to get a puncture a $200 tire would and it only cost $100. I'm not easy on tires and run stock pressure. I bet if i lowered the rear a 5 psi I wouldn't have had either of these flats as the last one was likely a rock cut on the MABDR.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock rear pressure on my 2012 is 42 psi. The max pressure listed on the sidewall of the 805 is 33 psi. I have been running all my 805's at 33 psi with no problems or flats thus far. YMMV.
    Black Rhino likes this.
  4. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone else liked the Mitas E07 better than their new E07+, you can contact them at the url below and ask them to bring back the old version in 150/70-17. They may ignore it, but I submitted a request.

https://www.mitas-moto.com/en/products/motorcycle--trail--tires/e-07

The new E07+ handles fine, but has more space between the lugs. On the two I've run so far both quickly got cuts in between the lugs in the carcass (I run <32psi). I still ran both over 8,000 miles, but it just makes me nervous doing 80 on the interstate when you know you have a decent cut in between the tread blocks. It's still a good tire, the old one was just better IMO.

If I end up going to a narrower rear rim (been thinking of a 3.5"), they're still available for those sizes like 140/80.
  5. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    So, long story short without a shit load of research.... Mitas e-09 Dakar... mostly off-road... don’t care about mileage... just performance... yay or nay?
    ATKinRC likes this.
  6. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Tough Tyre gets a yay from me
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  7. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I’ve been running Michelin Anakee Wilds. They are pricey but they really handle every situation very well.

This is front and rear after 3500 miles. I truly am a 50/50 on/offroad rider. Gravel roads, singletrack, twisties, interstate; I ride it all. The last 1400 miles was all pavement as we hit all backroads through GA KY TN NC VA WV and OH. That includes 90mph interstate haunt from the KY/TN border to Chattanooga to make time on the way home. The front is just starting to cup like a TKC but it took a lot longer to happen.

Rear
    FC211E09-8035-4279-A16C-B2BC23048EC8.jpeg

Front
    4432BC24-FDF2-424B-97A1-F59C40402CDC.jpeg
    ATKinRC, Night Falcon and XYooper906 like this.
  8. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Have been looking for a more aggressive front, might look at one of these. All front Knobby tires seem to cup, I think inflation has a lot to do with it. I used to get around 7,000 klm from MT21's but the last 2K was always a little bumpy up front. It wasn't a bad tire on my 690, but haven't been willing to try it on the front heavier Tiger....they seem to be a 'love it or hate it' tire.
  9. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Yeah I used to run MT21’s on my thumpers but like you I am not so sure about the much heavier Tiger. I’ve been happy enough with the Wilds here that I am trying to decide if I want to cough up the nearly $300 a set currently runs instead of a $180 Bridgestone Battlax or whatever that new knobby is. I’ve heard mixed reviews though and I know the Wilds work.
  10. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the new battle ax works abot the same as tkc 80 but does have alittle stiffer sidewall nothing crazy like mitas but stiffer the tkc80
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  11. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Heads up Bridgestone has a $60 rebate for a set of AX41 right now via a prepaid Visa card. $150.77 for a set, including shipping and taxes, once my rebate comes in, from Rocky Man ATV for my Tiger 800. At this price I will give them a shot. I can't afford to keep buying Anakee Wilds haha.
    XYooper906 likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
  13. ATKinRC

ATKinRC Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    tiger.jpg I am trying the Motoz, (Rally front, GPS tractionator rear) I wanted good wear with good on and off road performance. We are just getting unfrozen here in Wisconson, have about 700 road miles and so far the road manners have been really good. Some grooved concrete highways make the front feel like it just went flat (went tubeless at the same time so the first few times this was really concerning!). Good cornering when the road has been wet, most mornings it has been in the 20's and 30's on my short drive to work.

tire 1.jpg
    tire 2.jpg
  14. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you like the Motoz Rallz front. I just removed a Motoz Rallz rear from my Tiger after 400 miles. Anything other than butter smooth pavement would set up an unsettling wander of the rear tire at highway speeds. I even felt it on some hardpacked clay. I've had other tires do this to a lesser degree, and it was by far the worst with the Rallz. I couldn't tolerate it, so I spooned on a Bridgestone AX41 Adventurecross. I did over 200 miles today with it, and it tracked arrow straight on every pavement I experienced. And it felt great off road as well.

The above experience with the Rallz will not dissuade me from trying the Tractionator Adventure or GPS versions. I suspect that maybe the combination of the Rallz and my go-to front tire, the IRC TR8, may have been somehow incompatible. A recent tire comparison video by Kyle at Chapmoto revealed what he found; the tire scored well overall, but dead last on pavement with rain grooves. I resoundingly agree.
  15. ATKinRC

Oddometer:
    I had heard of that with some Motoz tires. I have not had any wandering issues with the Tractionator after 600+ road miles. average speed 50-75. Thanks for the input on the Rallz rear!
    XYooper906 likes this.
  16. ATKinRC

Oddometer:
    I was wrenching on the Tiger this weekend and double checked my front tire and realized I went with a Tractionator front, GPS in the rear. Sorry for the misinformation. When I researched tires I looked at so many combos my head is still spinning :rofl
    XYooper906 likes this.
  17. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    My opinion, for the type of riding we do (average rider here), which is riding around 100 miles pavement to get to some forest service gravel roads, the best performing pair of tires is an IRC TR8 up front and a Bridgestone Adventurecross AX41 rear. I mean if your goal is to take your Tiger off road, then this combo has worked wonders for me, and some other riders I ride with. You can push this combo hard off road and on road, it's really up to the rider. The reasons I keep going back to this combo, performance and value. The IRC gives you a little bite up front (very close to a TKC80 pattern) and the AX41 gives you all around performance in the rear. If I was doing mostly road miles with an occasional off road excursion I'd probably be on a set of Dunlop Mission Trailmax tires. Sometimes you need to try something to find out if it works for you.
    Here is a little video of a fellow rider and I out last week, when he tried out his new Bridgestone AX41 rear, it's great in all conditions and on the street as well.

Hope everyone is doing okay out there, keep the adventuring going here on ADV!
    ATKinRC, XYooper906 and Black Rhino like this.
  18. Spinman

Spinman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1A8C19FF-3625-47E7-8E15-C986B7E45856.jpeg 1A8C19FF-3625-47E7-8E15-C986B7E45856.jpeg Just bought a used tiger in Vegas (see my vegas fly and buy thread) anyway I read a bunch of reviews which lead me to have the Dunlap mission trail max put on for the ride home. (Bike had original tires from 2012 and there was no way I was riding on them). I’m impressed with the dunlaps, but then I never rode the bike with any thing else. The little off-road I have done, they seemed to work really well. I was wondering if anyone is going with a size larger than the stock 150/70?
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  19. ATKinRC

Oddometer:
    Always like to hear tire combos that work! A quick check looks like about $180 for the pair. What kind of mileage are you getting from them?
  20. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    217829D4-3C7A-44EE-B3AE-F0C392959AAB.jpeg
    5D29597E-D104-4AA9-AAB6-A5CF8CCC7B75.jpeg
    The rear has exactly 4,825 miles on it, the front has a bit more maybe mid 5000...it’s a great value for 2 new tires.
    C27E2F6E-5251-4F30-858F-14BDF38E2B8D.jpeg
    Night Falcon, MrMac, ATKinRC and 2 others like this.