1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Tires for 800XC Tiger

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by h2000fb, Aug 2, 2013.

1. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As written here previously, i had a Continental TKC80 front, Mitas E10 Dakar rear combo.
    After about 6500 kilometers the E10 rear tire was done (about half the life span of an E07+ rear for me)
    The TKC80 front is still ok, shows some cupping, but nothing too extreme, should be quite normal for a knobby tire on a big bike.

Performance wise i was happy with the E10 rear, performed good offroad, also the onroad performance was decent (for a knobby tire)
    The TKC80 front is a bit sketchy on wet paved roads, but other than that no complaints. Seems to last quite a while, i expect to get 10k+ kilometers out of it.

I was able to get a Motoz Tractionator Rallz rear for a good price, so this is what i recently installed. The first few hundred kilometers felt quite strange. But since i've done about 300 kilometers with it i either got used to it or maybe it's because the edges got rounder. Didn't ride enough yet to judge the performance of it.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Trying this combo over our Winter
    Mitas E07 Plus rear
    IMG_1727.JPG

Michelin Anakee Wild Front
    IMG_2426.JPG

Have had the E07+ on for about 500klm and it has been great. Haven't tried the Wild on the front yet but have been told they are a great tire except on wet tar roads....will see I guess. Will report back at the end of winter on results.
    tattoo Dave and TIGERRIDER007 like this.
  3. JeffShanholtz

JeffShanholtz It’s all good

Oddometer:
    9419214E-CCB8-4BC9-89BA-AF3FE2C370BA.jpeg Can’t wait to get these mounted!
  4. Timps27

Timps27 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dig the 705, especially for the price. Just finishing my third rear, front still has good tread but super scalloped (~15k on the front).

Zilla has the new TKC 70 Rocks up for 40% off so I grabbed a set, will report back when I get them on.
  5. foothillsrider

foothillsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    705s are a great price/performance tire. Longevity is decent but not great, about 6k out of a rear, but for half the price of Michelin/Mitas/Dunlop it's hard to argue. I just don't like the front feel in soft dirt or gravel, it really wants to push out on me. Hard pack dirt and on road, they're really good.
  6. Timps27

Oddometer:
    73BC050B-F23C-4355-9D8B-1A547E748838.jpeg

Rocks looks great mounted up, but found a bad seal on the outboard of the final drive, local didn’t have anything so waiting for it to come from San Diego before I can put the rear end back together. :dirtdog
  7. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    When the roads look like this...
    IMG_4533.jpg
    tattoo Dave likes this.
  8. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    These tires are lousy...
    IMG_4539.jpg
  9. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    804 front with 705 rear takes care of that. But don't go too fast (over 90 mph) on that front tire, it gets wobbly.
  10. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Timps27

Oddometer:
    BD6277D8-AFAB-4AA9-AD75-77BF5054F5F9.jpeg

Rocks looks good on the bike, only a handful of street miles on them today, but they stuck like glue right off the bat, no scrub in needed.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  12. JeffShanholtz

JeffShanholtz It’s all good

Oddometer:
    Got my 705’s on today. I did notice a little push in loose deep gravel.
    Had to go back to the cycle shop today to get the rear abs sensor replaced that was damaged when they installed the tires. Front tire was flat. Aired it up and started the 30 mile ride in a light rain. Almost exactly half way the flood gates opened and I found out that my boots and jacket are not waterproof. The $60 amazon riding pants I got were waterproof until the rain ran down my back and I got a wet ass anyway.
  13. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now i've done about 1300km with it. I was too lucky with the weather, it didn't rain when i was riding, so i can't say much to the wet performance. But in the muddy parts and river crossings (one extremely slippy one, consisting of thick watery mud maybe 30cm deep, i suspected to get stuck, but didn't) which i encountered the tire performed flawless. Sand, gravel, rocks also no problem.
    The downsides:
    - Going over 100km/h on pavement feels strange, not 100% stable, i tried different tire pressures, but it didn't help. Below about 100km/h the tire feels ok, grip is ok (it didn't rain yet, so can't judge the grip on wet pavement yet).
    - The tire started with 15mm tread depth and is now down to 9-12mm. If it continues like this i suspect to get 3000km out of the tire (maybe a few more for only light off-road or on-road). Comparing this to the 6500 of the Mitas E10...
    Motoz' advertisement regarding 90% off-road is probably correct. For me personally the improved off-road performance is not worth the loss of on-road performance when comparing it to the Mitas E10. If somebody wants very good off-road performance and doesn't care about the downsides: Go for it ;)

The next tires which i will try are Motoz Tractionator Adventure front and rear.

Not really surprising that road tires don't work well on such a road. But something like an E07(+) works quite ok on this.
  14. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like a good tire for the tiger. I'll be looking forward to see what you think about it after you get some miles on it and different conditions ridden in.

I just ordered a mefo super explorer for the back of mine. I got a CRF450L last summer for the more off road riding, so I probably should have gotten something more like the 70 rocks. But I have wanted to try the super explorer since it came out in our size and it looks like they have discontinued it so it was now or never. I've been Shinko 804/805 for the last couple of sets. I was impressed with how much better they hold the road wet or dry than the TKC80/E07 combo I ran for the couple set's before.
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Anakee Wild finally fitted. The old E07 did over 10K Klm and probably had another 1.5 - 2k in it if you rode it to a slick. Taking the tiger out for a spin tomorrow so will see what the front feels like. Gonna be cold though...between 3-10c is forecast :vardy

IMG_2576.JPG
    XYooper906 and tattoo Dave like this.
  16. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Don’t understand. If you find a tire that works well AND lasts (EO-7), why change? I’m onto my third now on the front of my Africa Twin, and see no reason to change.
  17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    in one word GRIP ....I wanted a better tire for off road stuff in our winter.
    Cruz likes this.
  18. T.S.

T.S. #%^$*&$^@!)*&][#%>_=÷!÷+#%&(#!

Oddometer:
    I like the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires so far. Only about 500 miles on them. Had Metzeler tourance next on it when I bought the bike. I wanted something more aggressive and these appealed to me the most. They are no louder than the 90% street tires which was a concern for me. Maybe a little more vibes but not terrible. Stiff sidewalls so difficult to mount with spoons but still manageable.

20200616_125219.jpg
  19. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parking; I think you're doing it wrong....

:hide
    Siorc and XYooper906 like this.
  20. T.S.

T.S. #%^$*&$^@!)*&][#%>_=÷!÷+#%&(#!

Oddometer:
    Best view of the tires just-a-for-you.
    abramsgunner likes this.