1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Tires for 800XC Tiger

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by h2000fb, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Timps27

Timps27 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    About 3k miles on my TKC 70 Rocks, 75% pavement, 20% gravel/hard pack, 5% trail/off.

Rear:

Pavement; good grip dry and wet, no perceptible loss of traction on wet. Wearing surprisingly well for as much as I’ve had it on the road, the blocks still have sharp edges and plenty of bite. I ride the throttle hard and the rear has never stepped out on the road.

Gravel/Hard Pack; good traction, even across the face on angles, never had any lack of confidence in the rear. The lugs are decently spaced so it did chuck an odd stone here and there, but nothing I would be concerned about.

Trail/off/mud; excellent bite, clears well. This is the least of my experience thus far with this set, but I don’t see any concerns taking it on the trail or in the mud.

Front:

Pavement; holds a line decent. No loss of grip in wet. Tends to induce some wobble much lower than expected for me, as low as 85+ when fully loaded.

Gravel/hard pack/trail; has a tendency to wander, not particularly confidence inspiring at holding the line. Washes out after a bit of fill.

Bottom line, would not buy the front again. Would absolutely buy the rear again (although I did get it at 60% off, not sure I would pay full price but that’s probably more down to me being a cheap ass than a value judgement on the tire).

1C022BC9-CB82-482A-88E6-51A75F351A41.jpeg
    5331640E-BB75-4FB1-97C9-786C09BF3C6F.jpeg
    Blakduk likes this.
  2. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't ride the Motoz Tractionator Rallz until the end because i didn't like the feeling on the road (offroad performace was great though). The TKC80 front which i still had also was cupping more and more, so i exchanged both of them.
    I replaced them with a pair of Motoz Tractionator Adventure.

Regarding the Adventure: After about 6k kilometers the front was quite worn off, including cupping, i guess i could have ridden it for another 1k kilometers if i had to, but it didn't feel nice anymore, offroad traction did also start suffer.
    The rear was still in a bit better condition compared with the front, i guess if i had really wanted to 8k would have been possible with it.
    I don't have any complaints about the Motoz Tractionator Adventure, i liked how they performed in all conditions, the longevity is reasonable for a knobby tire, i think you don't go wrong with it if you are looking for this kind of tire.

In the near future i want to do some more longer distance touring, which is why i now replaced them with the Motoz Tractionator GPS. I will share my experience once i change them.
    Blakduk and Night Falcon like this.
  3. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Beware of Tourances on the 800XC, at least the 2016 version. My bike became a tank slapper pretty easily when the rear hit a little gravel on an otherwise perfectly clear road on a sunny day. Spit me off. Fractured pelvis.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Isn't the TKC70 Rocks a rear tyre only. The front is just the standard TKC70.
  5. Sachou

Sachou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone was curious as to how well the Michelin Anakee Adventure handles in the corners on asphalt, I took my Tiger 800 XC to a race track to find out:

What I was most impressed with was how well the offroad oriented XC handled riding alongside purpose built street/track bikes. But especially the tires. Where the rubber meets the road is with the same Michelin Anakee Adventure tires that took me up a 100ft sand dune last summer. These are 80/20 street/dirt adventure tires, and when it comes to adventure/dualsport tires, the conversation tends to be steered towards off-road grip vs. on-road longevity. Nobody ever really talks about on-road performance; the question is usually "How long will these last when riding in a straight line on a highway to get to the dirt?". Well, I'm also very interested in the fun bits of road on the way to the dirt, so I wanted to see just how far I could push these "compromise" tires on tarmac. They warmed up and gripped all the way to the edges, and only lost grip once, at about 45mph when I added too much power while leaned over. There was a slight rear skid, but it lined back in place once I was more upright, and I never really felt out of control. It's safe to say that they exceeded my expectations on every single metric, and I am now on my second set. As far as the accelerated wear from the ~70 laps on the track, I didn't actually lose much life on these tires, if any. All the wear occurred at the edges. Seeing as a typical adventure tire will wear out the center strip, with plenty of life left in the chicken strips, I just rounded out the tire more evenly.

In summary: They performed flawlessly. Gripped all the way to the edge for 150 miles of full bore aggressive track riding. Barely made any difference in tire wear, as it pretty much just wore out the chicken strips that would have otherwise just gone to waste. I replaced the rear at 6000 miles, and before doing a burnout to send it off, it still had enough tread for probably another 2000 miles.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  6. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Please tell me your mileage experiences between a TKC80 and 805 rear.
  7. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Yes online inquiry shows that appears to be the case. I think I might be leaning towards a TKC 80 front and either this TKC70 Rocks rear. Or the Motoz GPS.
    I still want road cornering ability and less knobby noise so it will be good to get @xvlc opinion.
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Not too sure you would want the Motoz then.
    Blakduk likes this.
  9. xvlc

xvlc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far I've done about 1000 kilometers with the GPS. But i didn't try real off-road yet (like mud or sand), just some fire roads.
    I think it's performing good, even at 160km/h it feels reasonably smooth, the noise level is acceptable. Cornering on tarmac feels solid, also no problems on wet tarmac. But i did of course previously run knobby tires, maybe somebody who comes from street tires might have a different feeling.
    One complaint though: When driving about 20-50km/h on tarmac there are some quite noticeable vibrations. I tried tire pressures from 30-40psi, the vibrations are always there when going about this speed. When going faster than this the vibrations disappear, or i don't notice them anymore. For my riding it's no big deal, i usually go faster than this on tarmac. But if somebody rides through the city a lot and might be forced to ride at this speed, this could potentially become annoying.

You might also put the Mitas E07+ in your selection of potential tires, i wrote about it on an earlier page, offered good performance and good mileage.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    A suggestion for a knobby for the front which has displayed exceptional all round handling and wear so far after approx 1000 klms. GT823.
    IMG_20200929_180859.jpg
  11. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why did you put all that orange crap on your Tiger? :scratch

:D
    Cruz and Whodatschrome like this.
  12. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s not a Tiger...
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    My Mitas E07+ rear experience

6789 klm from new on a 60/40 mix Road - gravel/sand/ 4wd track @36psi
    IMG_2765.JPG IMG_2766.JPG

It has about 2.5mm tread left at the centre of the tire so Io reckon another 1K klm and it'll be a slick. By Contrast I got 11K Klm from the old E07 and probably could have pushed it to 13K.

To be honest the grip levels were not much improved so for the extra mileage I'd have the old E07 which i think is a better tire. Will probably get another E07+ ($241.00 NZ) as the only thing cheaper here is an 805 @ $165.00 NZ, but I don't expect it will last past 5K klm and they are prone to puncturing I'm told.