1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Opposites Attract! ...From South Louisiana to Arctic Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by slartidbartfast, May 15, 2018.

1. tmark1301cc

tmark1301cc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are out of hand. My heroes. Anytime you want to stop by and give a "noobie" some pointers I will not turn you away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    For some reason, I decided to re-read my own ride report, three years later. It's not that I don't remember it all but reading about it again has made me want to go back and do it again. Work won't let me take off for a month at a moment's notice so 2022 maybe ...Hmmmmm...
  3. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    I'm heading back to Alaska next June for my second time.
  4. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to ride up again when the border into BC opens again.
    Rode toward Alaska at 17 years old with 16 year old brother. Made it a day north of Prince George when my engine threw rings on the right piston. Fixed it at an outboard motor repair shop and turned back to Oregon. 150cc twin 2-stroke bikes.
    Retirement trip in 2016, solo to Homer and spent a month deck handing on a halibut charter boat and rode home. 8500 miles on the 705 Shinko and it's still in use on the DR650 bike. DR650 now is over 93,000 total miles and still going.
    Front tire needed changed in Homer, so only got 1/2 the miles on the front tire. 241 Shinko. The roads seem to be made from local soils/rocks and was told by locals about lots of volcanic glass and rocks mixed in the roads.
    Wet mud on the chain really ate mine, even with cleaning the chain each night. Purchased a new chain in Anchorage on way home and installed it at Yukon Yamaha just south of Whitehorse. Nice people let me use a dry spot outdoors and loaned me a few tools.
    It was a great trip. Even camped at Tok Eagle Claw motorbike campground on both ways north and south. Rained most every day, but sure will remember that ride.
    CavReconSGT and rubline like this.
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Sounds like an awesome adventure. The halibut boat would have been too much for me :)
    smilin jack likes this.