Optimal Pannier Set-Up

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Daily Rider, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Daily Rider

Daily Rider Life's a Garden...Dig It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did my first longer trip from Astoria, OR to Bar Harbor, ME. Had a great trip, but am trying to fine tune my luggage set up prior to next summers trip. Planning to run from Portland, OR (Home) to Denali NP in AK.

Currently have Touratech EVO's, but was a bit put off by them. The bike rolled off the center stand in MT and my 45L was left out of square probably 1/3" end to end from a very light impact. Was able to caress it back into almost square with a trusty rock, but the experience left me thinking if I ever had an issue at speed, my TT panniers would likely be left useless.

Other options on my radar are Jesse panniers (Also Aluminum now) or Caribou (Pelican style cases)

Not considering soft luggage at this time unless someone can change my mind. Just prefer hard luggage at this point.

At any rate, GS'ers of the world - what are your thoughts on TT, vs Jesse, vs Caribou?

I'm leaning toward the Caribou's currently as I know Pelican cases are bombproof. Only downfall I can think of is their weight. Not certain of what weight the subframe/pannier racks in general on the GS are rated for?

TT EVO's are $1800 with 83L capacity
    Jesse are $1820 with 93L capacity
    Caribou's are $822 with 70L capacity

Take pity and educate a poor soul :-) IMG_2148.JPG
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Caribou system is designed to pop off with certain impacts,so as to lessen damage,just be certain you buy a spare replacement latch or two if you go that way.
    You can find that info on the caribou site.

JR356
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  4. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The advantage of the TT cases or the OEM BMW cases (same manufacturer) is that you can repair them yourself after/during a trip if you need to. I had an older set of TT cases on my oil-head and after a spill I taped (hurray for Gorilla tape) and screwed the case together in my motel room. Later at home I went to work on the case with metal working tools, heat gun and rivets. It sealed up as well as the non damaged case for many years after... The other cases are welded and unless you can weld aluminum yourself it is going to be $$$ to fix...

There are pros and cons to all the cases so it boils down to what you are comfortable with.. YMMV
    Besides, dented luggage does give you ADV /street-cred. :lol3
  5. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a personal preference, but I'd prefer a pannier to deform and absorb a good bit of a blow, rather than the bike's frame - or even the exhaust can - take the load.

And the trail-cred idea is spot on!
    ObiJohn, Coma, rg sw wa. and 2 others like this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mosko BC35 v2 first then Jesse’s Challenger Boxes. That’s my vote for surviving a 6-10K mile trip w/ varying terrain, ,days you’re not on your A-Game, mud, animals etc.
    rg sw wa. and Frank smith like this.
  7. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little bit older now but this episode of adventure bike TV has a pretty good test of the different hard pannier brands. I'm a hard pannier guy too but the mosko's look pretty damn good.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. redwing51

redwing51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also like the Bumot panniers. I had Touratechs on a previous bike and liked them too.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  9. Daily Rider

Daily Rider Life's a Garden...Dig It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, glad I posted this here and many thanks for all the input. After doing some more serious looking at Mosko (who I had ruled out early on) - I think they're the best option. Will go that route and keep the TT Evo's till I'm ready to fully commit to the world of soft luggage...baby steps. Anyone want some EVO's in the not so distant future let me know :lol3
  10. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Well, I have my atacama for sale. I tried the soft luggage trend and it isn't for me. Never liked the oem/tt luggage. I'm now debating between bumont and globe scouts. The down fall to soft and carribou is capacity loss. With globe scout, bumont and Jesse, you get roughly 90liters of space. That is a big difference compared to soft or pelican.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Caribou, side openers suck

Mosko, brilliant gear, won’t work on my bike since I don’t run a rear seat. (So I’ve been told) but no bueno for day to day use in the Pacific North Wet..(I live just up river from you..)

If you ride your bike even semi regularly, you’re going to want hard panniers for stops at post office, grocery, Rogue for a growler...

I ran OEM Adv cases on my ‘08 for 120k, putting Jesse on the new bike..
  12. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Getting stuff in and out of soft panniers is a major pain in the ass.
  13. Frank smith

Frank smith R1200GSA, WR250R, R80RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that's a good solution. I have both Atacama and aluminum cases. I know it's cost prohibitive for some folks but if you can afford both sets, do it. There is a lot more versatility in having both to suit the various types of riding you'll encounter. The large soft bag that goes atop the Atacama bags provides plenty of storage for all your gear (except the helmet). My largest luggage capacity setup is the Atacama panniers with the aluminum top case and the soft duffel between my ass and the hard top case. I've found that the hard top case is the only way to lock up my helmet when off the bike. The helmet will not fit in the Atacama side cases and is too much hassle to try and cram into the Atacama top duffel. Other issue with this setup is that you can't ride 2-up. oh, and one other thing, try to buy two 35L cases. You don't want the 25L on the muffler side, it's too small. I believe you can piece-meal the system with two 35L bags, just tell the dealer.
    NorthIdaho800gsa, Xsv and rg sw wa. like this.
  14. Coma

Coma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree.

I had a soft set down on pavement while practicing my Motor Officer turns. The TT box picked up a wrinkle which hammered out with a rubber mallet and dead blow. Sweet!
  15. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    If you want the atacama, it is 25l/35l only. If you want 35l/35l you will have to go with the regular mosko.

Op, something folks never seem to mention with soft is pack shape. When you stuff crap into a hard pannier, you stuff compresses. Like stuffing you sleeping bag In. Your sleeping bag compresses to fit into the given space of the pannier. However, with soft this is not the case. You stuff your sleeping bag in and now you have an egg shape pannier. Which does 2 things. Makes your pannier thick and narrow. It also makes it harder to get other items in your now deformed pannier. When taking stuff out, you pretty much just have to dump out the whole damn pannier, since it doesn't really hold shape. If you still want soft, might also look at bumont. Theirs goes right on factory racks with no adapters and it locks. It's like a 2 second deal on/off.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Isn't that what compression sacks are for? Everything that can be compressed has it's own sack from 4-10L I have 6 of them and clothes, tent, sleeping bag, pillow all go into their own sacks.
    jbuggyus and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  17. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Yeap, I do the same thing. However, if the item your putting in your pannier isn't the same size or smaller than the width of your pannier, guess what, pannier is going to flex it fit it. Creating an egg sized pannier. Happens to me literally everytime. Not going to lie, I just really despise the soft trend. I tried to make it work. I like the idea, just not the reality. It's one off those things that sounds really good on paper though. If your a guy that just can't manage to keep his bike up right, then it's a good option. Other than that, I just can't give up everything that hard brings to the table for the once a year I might end up on my side. I think most people would be better off improving their skills, vs buying soft and just planning to fall over.
    Bill-66 likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

You just described me in a nutshell.
  19. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Lol, well, that wasn't the intention. It is just something I hear here alot. People just buy soft because they plan on falling over and it makes me laugh every time. I can't think of a situation that I went into thinking I was going to fail. That's pretty much the wrong attitude. we can all improve our skills. I would rather spend my time and money on that. not even saying take a class. Just get out more. I learn something almost every time I get out. Also, don't ride well beyond your skill set. To each their own, I'm just saying, why plan to fail?
    ckindt and AdamChandler like this.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    mikegc and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.