Optimal Pannier Set-Up

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Daily Rider, Oct 6, 2019.

1. LeeMan

LeeMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also bought the Bumot soft luggage mainly because they are light, lockable, easy on/off, compact to store and a decent price. Usually don't have them on the bike but they did come in handy during this summer's 4,000 mile West Coast cruise. The outer case is not waterproof so you can either use the included dry bags or buy a dry duffel. IMG_5996.JPG
    side-burn likes this.
  2. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that and the millions of broken legs over the decades of traveling with hard bags...that we never heard of until the soft bags became available..
    sperz1, rider1150gsadv and RoundTrip like this.
  3. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Pshhh, real men walk it off, then never mention it again...lol.

Seriously though, I think that statistic is overblown.
    RunninRanger and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to put in a plug for the Globe Scout aluminum panniers. I've been using a set on my 1200GSLC for 2 years now and I've been very satisfied. I like the narrow installed dimensions, the stainless steel rims around the openings and the heavy duty latches of the boxes. They have been rock solid and look good to boot.

Jesse Bags are also built well.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/globe-scout-panniers-for-13-1200gs.1263535/

[​IMG]
  5. gpthis

gpthis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really impressed with the Kriega OS recently picked up. Solid, simple and good looking.!!
    Just my .02
    : ~ )
  6. J-Dash

J-Dash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, all the aluminum case options can be bent up if they take an impact at certain angles. I had Jesse Odyssey II 10" panniers on a Super Tenere for 4-years and 60k miles with at least 4 drops/crashes off-road on each side.. and some of those were pretty gnarly and I thought there wouldn't be a bag left at all. Never once had to bend anything back or make any repairs, because they simply just got scuffed and I applied the next travel sticker over the last scuff lol.

However, on my GS I took one minor spill with a ~20mph low side in the mud on the left side Jesse pannier one day and was surprised because they were waded up like a beer can. It seemed like such a smooth crash and I remained on the bike the whole time and just spun in a circle over about 20 feet. It shook my confidence in the luggage but Al Jesse and many others all agreed that it just simply took the impact at a perfectly wrong angle. Sh!t happens sometimes, and I agree with them. Nonetheless, I replaced it with another new Jesse pannier (hurt the wallet for sure).

In my years, I've used Micatech, Jesse x3, Touratech Zega and OEM BMW Aluminum panniers on various bikes since 2004. They are all great IMO and all very capable of being very tough and surprising you in one fall, and then seemingly being weak and surprising you (for the bad) in another fall. Personally, I still opt for hard luggage because I tour as well as commute. Locking and waterproof (with easy access) luggage is very important for me.

In summary, my 2 cents are that you just have to go with which luggage hits the majority of your check boxes in needs. They are all pretty darn good these days.
  7. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love these. I'm a big fan of soft luggage. Easy to put away, couldn't care less about possibility of scratching, light weight, can make them smaller when not filled up on the bike and I've never needed more. I do have a top case made by BMW though. I had zero budget and I still picked these over everything else.

Recently I dumped the bike on an off-camber road, picked it up, no problem. Just dusted off the bags and nothing was damaged and in fact I'd say the bags protected my Akra exhaust. How I ride/travel/commute these have no downside to hard cases but YMMV.

Ok, one drawback. Fancy stickers don't last long, you have to sew them on :lol3
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    All true, except soft cases do have a few downsides. They are not really lockable, or waterproof, and though not easily damaged, they are harder to pack and unpack, especially if you use a liner to keep the water off your stuff.
  9. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are 100% waterproof using the included liners. With those, you could drive into a lake. If it's just a little spurious rain cloud you don't even really need those. I commute with my laptop in them and I've been rained on to/from work and it's still dry inside, never used the liner.

Locking is tricky, yes. They lock to the bike so 99% of the time, because they are way more portable than aluminum boxes, I take them off the bike and into the hotel room. I have a small lock where I can lock two handles of the bags together. You could break into them by cutting it with a knife, but really it's just to keep honest people honest. Even these aluminum cases would fail with a few smacks of a hammer, let's face it. Of the myriad of other crap people could do to my very expensive investment, breaking into my bags is the least of my worry LOL.

Usually I pack long-term stuff in the Bumots and my "purse" is the top-case :D
  10. J-Dash

J-Dash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couldn't help but notice your other toys and the cleanliness of everything in the pics. I'm even jealous of how good looking your garbage bins are, compared to mine lol.
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I meant not waterproof without the liners.
    side-burn likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Thanks, It goes both ways depending on where I am with a project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AdamChandler, J-Dash and mikegc like this.
  13. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more vote for the soft Bumots, I just went from Mosko BC 35s to soft Bumots and my packing volume went way up even though I believe the rated capacity is the same or less. The Bumots hold a lot more stuff than the Moskos and are so much easier to live with. Lighter and just as tough and waterproof.
    Covert likes this.
  14. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Brooks panniers. As rugged as the TTs, about half the price, and mine have held up well on several long trips... Seattle to San Diego, etc. They're waterproof, lockable, coated/anodized so they don't discolor your stuff. I got the liner bags, and if I'm motel-ing it I just grab them out of the panniers and head on into the room. For camping I usually have a waterproof TT duffle on the pinion seat in front of my BMW soft/large tailbag, and between that and the soft tailbag all my gear (I hammock camp) is there. Worked very well for a 2-month business trip to SD, with camping on the way down and back.

I like the Mosko/BMW soft bags, too... just don't want to spend the $$ on them.
  15. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I've ways wondered how crash worthy the Brooks are. the sealing surface is very narrow. It seems if they took a knock and got slightly out of square, there isn't much sealing surface to mate up. Vs something like the bumont that has a lip that the lid seals down around.
  16. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose the Bumot Defender EVO, I based my decision off of the way it seals and it's aesthetic. So far I'm happy with it.

I'm in the market for soft cases, can't decide between the Bumot Xtremada soft cases and the Mosko Moto Backcountry. I really like the fact that the Xtremada will mount directly to the OEM GSA racks. With not Mosko BC, I'm not sure if it is okay to go with the 35L/35L kit or if I should go for the offset kit.
  17. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Speaking of panniers. I'm at an impasse with a top box. Going to go with bumont for panniers I believe. However, I wanted a larger top box to leave empty. That way when I stop I can put my jacket, gloves and helmet into it. So I don't have to carry it around. Well, after a lot of research and measuring, this really isnt possible apparently. Most boxes are just big enough to get a helmet into....and I mean just. So, the other option is happy trails, which is going to look retarded next to bumont panniers. or givi outback trekker, which costs about as much as the panniers do. Normally I'm not one to bitch about money, but that is friggin ridiculous. So now I'm looking at one of those Pac safe nets. However, that kinda defeats the purpose, If it takes the ease away. So, I'm kinda stuck and frustrated. if I have my panniers on, i can just stick my jacket in a pannier.......maybe. However, I usually don't. Grrrrr
  18. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I have discovered works for me is to put my jacket in my Bumot side case. I was able to put my XL Scorpion EXO AT950 helmet w/ the peak in the 43L Bumot top case. Both are EVOs.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  19. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I just don't know what to do when I don't have the panniers on.....which is frequent.
    Covert likes this.
  20. Covert

Covert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been pondering that myself. After I get a trip out of the way in a few weeks, I plan on taking mine off, maybe even the racks since most of my rides will be local. This is my first bike with panniers, most of the time I only keep sunglasses and a wallet in them. Jacket/Helmet should be able to tag along with me in most cases.

I've been eyeballing the SW Motech Evo Daypack to keep the smaller things in (hat, sunglasses, wallet, etc..). However, I'm concerned about whether it'll be too big for my liking. I wish I could see one in person.