OR-BDR 2021

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by cgguy09, Mar 18, 2021.

1. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Team,
    Thinking about doing the OR-BDR (or some adapted version of it) this June with my father in law.
    As there is no long-term OR-BDR thread, I figured I'd start one for this year for everyone's benefit. This is not a "personal" thread, but designed to be a crowd sourcing for the inmates riding these trails in 2021.

Background:
    For anyone who is new to the BDR world, the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route doesn't really exist. The official BDR Organization has not yet created a route as another organization, OOHVA, already had created a similar product. So, you cannot find gpx/paper maps from (RideBDR.com) You can buy paper maps from OOHVA (http://www.oohva.org/)

Existing Threads
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/orbdr-2016.1113701/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/offi...discovery-route-tracks.1174465/#post-30373690
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/orbdr-gps-tracks.1059907/#post-26661488
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2020-oregon-bdr-conditions.1464123/
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/obcdr-ride-next-summer.938005/page-36#post-24780765

Map
    [​IMG]

General Notes:
    I've pursued a number of the disparate threads on this fine website. It appears the "trail" is always something you have to adjust on the fly and some people have lamented that the gpxs/paper maps were not always helpful or accurate. I suppose that's what makes it an "adventure." The now "common" wild fires also adjust the trail in unforeseeable ways.

Unlike the WABDR, which I'm more familiar with, there are not longitudinal or incredibly detailed threads on their forum about the ORBDR. It seems less utilized...No doubt because it's much easier to do the WABDR, CABDR, IDBDR, etc given the BDR footprint and free maps.

Timing:
    • Some people have started the trail as early as May and as late as early November.
    • Most people seem to agree July, August, and September are the best times to Ride.
    • Topographical maps show the routes reach as high as 6.1k feet and sections can sit at 4k or higher.
    • Route 5 is generally not free of snow until July.

Maps/GPX:
    • Official: Paper maps can be acquired from OOHVA for about $20.00 a map or $145.00 for all 8 routes.
    • Official: GPX's can be requested when paper maps are bought.
    • Unofficial: Much like the TAT, the OR-BDR has unofficial gpx's and other routes as members have blazed their own trails.
    Lodging/Camp grounds:
    • Let's fill this section out. What input do you have?
    Petro:
    • Let's fill this section out. What input do you have?
    • Route 5: (credit to @El Pacifico )- Based on a google search, they are operational...with maybe the exception of service station in Ukiah)
    • [​IMG]

Riders with know-how: (If you want to be added or removed, let me know).

@El Pacifico
    @Apple Jam

Questions:

• Is there a secondary market for gpx's and paper charts? I, for one, would be open to buying a second hand maps.
    • What other notes do inmates wants to make? What did I get wrong?

Lastly while not an official BDR, I would regret not informing inmates that the BDR organization, a 501(c), can now be supported by Amazon Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/ho...&ein=45-2440958&ref_=smi_ext_ch_45-2440958_cl) This provides a small % of your online shopping to the BDR organization.
    Siorc, MeefZah, Sparrowhawk and 4 others like this.
  2. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Cascade Discovery Route is a better North to South route than the OR "BDR" route. I've done both, and found that the only reason one should consider the ORBDR route is if they are looking for more pavement in their route.

As far as Route 4 goes, I have done bits and pieces of it, but the current TAT route shadows it with some really great riding too.

I have yet to do any other routes, but with some research, there is a lot to learn about these routes on this forum. You just have to dig.
    MeefZah, ATcamper and cgguy09 like this.
  3. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look into the Cascade Discovery route, first I've heard of it.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/cascade-discovery-route.1041100/
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    The CDR is more focused on the Cascades and in the western portion of the state. Route 5 of the OR BDR seems to be far more remote in the eastern part of the state.
  5. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    It runs from Hood River down to about Diamond Lake, I think?
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, we expect lotsa burnt treefall on the Cascade Discovery Route, especially around Olallie Lakes and all around Detroit. You can come help us clear it/see what is ride-able on the clearing dates posted recently....

I did most of Rt 5 OBDR in 2011. It is very different in many areas and Rt 5 is twice as long as the CDR in miles. I am being called back to it bigtime as I write this post. I've done most sections of 3 & 4 and some of 2, Every one of 'em is worth doing, and then doing again, IMO.
  7. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    I saw the posts about the work parties, if I was closer (or if the trail was closer) I'd happily provide man power and beer. But, I'm out in Astoria with 2 kids under 2 years old. My wife would murder or divorce me (probably both) if I snuck out right now.

But, if we meet out in June, first round is on me. Or, if you make it out to Astoria, happy to buy you a drink as well.
    coxmich and Apple Jam like this.
  8. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 likes this.
  9. WolfNman

WolfNman I wanna rock!

Oddometer:
    Watching. I’m considering doing route 5 in July.
  10. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's two river crossings along route 5 which (depending on snow fall, weather, temps, etc.) may be on the high side in July. One crossing is the Malheur and the other can't remember. The North Fork of the John Day? I need to go back and look at my files.
    One crossing was deeper than the other. For perspective, here is a pic of a rider in the group along the deeper one, in September of 2013. It's a thumbnail, click to expand.
    Looking at the photos brings back great memories!

1.jpg
    WolfNman and cgguy09 like this.
  11. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    C408A8B9-F9AB-464C-BD00-A7E4C1FD2B6E.jpeg Route 4 is a fun, relatively easy big bike friendly ride. Camp in Sisters and walk to the brewery for dinner. First day stop in Prineville for lunch and fuel. Continue on and camp at the Ochoco Divode campground.

Get your camp set up and bomb down into Mitchell for dinner at the brewery and then head over a couple of miles to catch the sunset at the Painted Hills. The fuel station in Mitchell closes early so plan accordingly. I’ve missed it before and had to come back in the morning.

get back on the trail in the morning and stop at the fire tower for lunch. At the end of the day you can either hook up with route 5 and camp next to the first Malhuer river crossing, or bomb down into John day for a nice campsite at Clyde Holiday park. Bring your bug spray as the mosquitoes can be awful! Oh yeah there is a big ol mud hole on route 4. The first trip I rode through it. Last year there was a little detour you could take and I wimped out!
  12. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I did a portion of Rte 5 in November several years back, in a 4x4, and got snowed out. I had to head for home as the weather was coming in and OSP closed portions of at least a couple highways. I saw half-dozen wrecks, overturned cars and vehicles off the road while driving back through the Bend area. If you're going just a little early, or a little late, watch the weather.
  13. MotoCouch

MotoCouch That looks rideable.....

Oddometer:
    I agree that Apple Jam's CDR is a great route. I ride it a couple of times each year. As he stated, it will need work. I imagine just about anything in or near the Cascades will need work this year. If it wasn't fire, it was wind.

I have done route 3 a half dozen times (except for the last bit south of crater lake). It is a very good ride and there are lots of options you can work in. It is also easy to make it into a tall, skinny loop, rather than an out and back. This can make a great four or five-night ride, without a long pavement return or shuttling. June can be hit and miss for snow around Windigo Pass. Lots of lakes and great camping options (dispersed and campgrounds). Fuel is easy to come by and not out of the way. There are many old lake resorts and stores. These can be a great option to work into at the end of the day - For any snacks or cold refreshments you might want to carry into camp. Or midday cheeseburgers and pie. Some of these resorts also have ethanol free fuel, primarily with boaters in mind, but can be handy nonetheless.

I have only ridden bits of the other sections. A full go of Route 5 is on my list.

I bought the paper maps/flipbooks. I carried them the first time and quickly stopped using them. I am not saying they are may not be useful to you. But for me .gpx tracks loaded onto my Garmin GPS with topo maps, plus map apps on my phone (if needed) is the way to go. There are so many intersections of roads and trails, it is difficult to really track where you are on paper. Especially if you choose to, or have to make detours. They also require lots of stops to flip pages. If you are riding with others, there is often dust that will cause you to space out. If everyone is not following the track on their own GPS, you will spend a lot of time stopping at intersections to ensure everyone is going the right way.

If you are planning, combining or building a route, I have found it helpful to include snowmobile trails when possible. These are often narrower, fun trails. More importantly, they tend to be kept clear throughout the winter, leaving them ready for you to ride in June.
  14. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did route 5 a long time ago, was a great time ride as we had a buddy drive an RV forward to set up camp so we could ride unladen bikes. Highlights are Crane Mtn east of Lakeview at 8456 feet (second highest road in OR), roosting cow pies on each other, Fremont Point lookout over Summer Lake, dodging a side-on with a huge Great Horned owl south of Ukiah, and dropping in to the trail along the South Fork of the Walla Walla river at Burnt Cabin north of Tollgate.

That section along the S Fork of the Walla Walla remains the single scariest section of trail I have ever ridden in over 50 years of riding in Oregon due to vertical exposure and technical narrowness of trail. Not big bike friendly!

Expect to ride every conceivable condition of 2-track in the state border to border.
    STA70212.JPG
  15. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    According to Google Maps,
    Hey, brother. They all check out. Thanks for the addition.
    El Pacifico likes this.
  16. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input on the paper maps...I have to agree having done the WABDR. I bought the map (half just to make a donation) but I hardly used it on the trail).

It sounds like you're fairly experienced on some of the routes, more than anyone else that has chimed in...any recommendation on travel time on Routes 2-6?
  17. MotoCouch

MotoCouch That looks rideable.....

Oddometer:
    Most of my experience (and all of when it comes to multi-day trips) has been on/around RT3. If you start from Big Lake (or Sisters or Bend, though you will miss some good stuff) it makes for a nice multi-day ride. A frequent version I like is a combination of RT 3, what is now the Southern CDR and some other connecting bits. This allows for the big skinny loop (actually a figure 8 the way I ride it) with only a small bit of ground covered twice. There are also single-track sections that you can get into if you like, as you pass by a few OHV areas. I like to start at the north end riding with gear. Camp at or near Crane Praire Reservoir, Crescent Lake or Summit Lake and then Diamond Lake. You can then spend the next day riding an empty bike, to get a lap in at Crater Lake, returning for a second night a Diamond Lake. A good option for this is the short pavement shot from Diamond Lake into the north entrance of Crater Lake, exit the west entrance and catch the offroad route back to Diamond. The next day return north with a stop for a final night at the cascade lake of your choice. Or, if short on time you can cover ground fast by integrating pavement. Late May occasionally works, Late June almost always works. Early July and September are also great. The earlier you go, the higher the risk of snow and downed trees. Early season info from the Forest Service is generally unreliable, even when you call local offices directly. Mosquitos can be unreal at some of the lakes in June and into July. As it gets later, the dust and crowds increase and obviously the risk of fires/closures.

It all ends up being fun. Just be flexible and don't stress if you end up calling an audible or two on your route. There is so much good stuff, it often doesn't matter.

My experience with the other routes has been in bits and pieces of day rides when staying nearby. One idea that has been on my mind for a couple of years is to start in Bend and do a big central loop - RT 3 south to 2, east to 5, north to 4 and south back down 3 to Bend. I like loops.
  18. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    At a very leisurely rate, it took us 7 days to complete Route 5. Did some optional out-and-backs, hung out at Delintment Lake for a while, etc. I'm sure it can be done in less time.
    Apple Jam likes this.
  19. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of our group (maybe tougher than me?) did Rt 5 in 5 days riding 8-10 hours each day, which is why I skipped out early. Screw that, I was on vacation, I wanted to take my time and see Oregon :nod

Advice: Take your time, try not to be so goal oriented that you blow through Oregon and.....don't actually get to see Oregon.
    All you'll see is just the two ruts in front of you.
  20. pbeezy

pbeezy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning the ORBDR for this year. So far we have done the UT BDR (3 times), CO (twice), ID (Twice), and AZ. I am still polishing the route but we are essentially doing a figure 8 starting in the very SW corner of the state and ultimately finishing there. Super excited!! Going to do it the middle of August. Any input is appreciated!

Attached Files: