OR-BDR 2021

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by cgguy09, Mar 18, 2021.

1. MotoCouch

MotoCouch That looks rideable.....

Oddometer:
    Possibly. I have been riding SW of Bend for the past few days. Snow level in the trees on Northern or Eastern exposures is around 5000 feet. Actually got a couple inches of snow Wednesday/Thursday down to about 4500 feet.

I have to think it is still pretty deep up around Summit Lake/Diamond Peak. But it is camping season now and I know the jeeps and trucks will be trying to forge through, which may open things up.
    cteunuch and cgguy09 like this.
  2. cteunuch

cteunuch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headed out from Bend to ride section of RT3 to RT6, then south along the coast to some old TAT tracks back north east to Crescent Lake tomorrow for the long weekend. Looks like we won’t be the only ones out there!

I’ll be sure to update with any conditions or blocked trails we find. 38195F5A-10F0-4AA3-940F-F5025AF60F68.png
  3. cteunuch

Oddometer:
    Quick update as promised...

We ran into some serious downed trees early on Rt 3 right off SW Century Drive outside of Bend. I believe it was FR 4188-300, but a quick bypass down 4188-110 to 4188-100 got us back on track. You’d need a few hours and a chainsaw to clean up that mess, and it almost looked intentionally done to block the road.

We ran into more down trees on 4070-500, but they were manageable with the small handsaw we had. We cleared as many as possible, but there are a few large ones we had to go slightly off trail to get around. Again, a chainsaw would have made quick work of these. I may head out there in the next few weeks solely to clear these trails, I’ll be sure to make note if I do. The trail is passable at this point though.

Down around Wikiup Reservoir the tracks told us to take a right where there wasn’t a road, but it was an easy bypass. Don’t remember exactly where but you should be able to navigate around it without issue.

From there to Crescent Lake was smooth sailing, but heading up FR 6010 over Emigrant Pass we were stopped by snow around the 5800’ mark. It will likely be gone within a week or two with these temps, but it didn’t look worth pushing through at this point. We bypassed down 58 to Oakridge/Hills Creek Reservoir.

We dropped off the route in the Umpqua to camp at Cedar Creek, which gave us a chance to take Champion Road/BLM 2460 up to the top of Champion Saddle. If you’re looking to add a little more technical riding into the mix this is a great addition. I was on a fully loaded 1190R and it was the perfect challenge to spice things up without wearing you out completely. I’ll make a GPX track of this bypass tomorrow and upload it for those interested.

When you’re on top of Champion Saddle be sure to check out the abandoned mine, not a lot to see but it’s not far off the trail and worth checking out. I’ll add a waypoint for this as well.

No issues from there to Sutherlin, even through all of the burned areas. There’s a really cool wooden sculpture of an octopus after you leave the national forest on your left that’s worth a few minutes. We stopped for lunch at Backside Brewing, great spot and very bike friendly people.

After Sutherlin there’s a lot of pavement, even in the BLM land. We ran into issues with GPS accuracy once we got up into the mountains, not sure if it was from the original GPX recording or what, but it’s a tough area for satellite coverage. Trust your instincts and head in the general direction of the trail, we were only “off” for 5 miles or so.

After that there’s a lot of nice dirt roads that wind up and down the last of the mountains before the coast. Lots of beautiful areas and great views.

We didn’t end up heading south from Coos Bay to pick up the TAT tracks, my riding partner was feeling sick and wanting to head home early. We took 101 up to Newport and then 20 back to Bend; even though it was all pavement there were some sights to see, especially for me as I’m new to Oregon.

All in all what we rode of 3 and 6 were great; beautiful scenery, and well thought out routes. FR 6010 was the only remotely challenging section on the actual OBCDR tracks, and even that was fairly easy on my fully loaded 1190R. If you’re looking for a technical challenge this isn’t your ride, but if you want to enjoy a beautiful trip from the Cascades to the coast I don’t think this could be beat.

I’ll add some pictures and GPS info tomorrow.
  4. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update!

Jonathan
  5. cteunuch

Oddometer:
    Here's the by-pass to drop down off of Rt 6 and take Champion Rd up to the top of the saddle. It adds a few miles, but it's totally worth it in my opinion!

Attached Files:

thirsty 1 and cgguy09 like this.
  6. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neat, thanks!

Jonathan
  7. goinGr8

goinGr8 n00b

Oddometer:
    cteunuch, thanks for the track and report. We're headed down that way next week to hook up with route 6 to Coos Bay.
    RB.
    cteunuch likes this.
  8. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Alright, I'm in a bit of pinch & I think I'll make an attempt on this route. I usually like to do a bit more research before I go, but I've got limited time off & I'll need to hit the trail on Monday.

@Dweller, you haven't been heard from since May...any report? Or should I look for a free motorcycle on the side of the trail:rofl.

This route seems to mirror Route 6 & Route 3. Anyone know any recent intel on this?

Thanks!

-cFogs
  9. MishaWR

MishaWR n00b

Oddometer:
    Not to highjack the post but, I plan on doing a solo ride starting at route 5-1 to 2 and then down 3. I found a GPX file but it's from 2013 so I will definitely need to see if some of the gas stations are open, but does anyone have insight as to the trail conditions?

Attached Files:

10. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding Route 5 Section 1. Zooming into the map and gps track, the track is on an "expert only" section between the California border and Crane Mountain Viewpoint. This section is quad width and a good workout on a big bike. Not sure what bike you will be riding, how much you are packing, and your skill level. Just a heads up. If needed, you can figure out a workaround by looking at FS maps.
    Once you hit 395, you may want to consider riding south and topping up your fuel tank in Lakeview.
    Paisley should have gas. Go to Page 1 for the location and phone number.
  11. MishaWR

MishaWR n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks for the heads up, from the videos I've been able to find, seems pretty chill riding, unless they took a different route. I will be on a WR250R and packing fairly light.
  12. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hampton is closed.

Jonathan
  13. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    cgguy09 and Big Tall Bastard like this.