Orangecicle v2.0: My KTM Basel 690 Quest story

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Orangecicle, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but no cut firewood this time, leaving me with a new lessoned learned: “Axe a tomahawk is not.”

IMG_3939.gif
  2. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    And other appropriate quotes:

“Already know you that which you need”

“Control. Control. You must learn control!”

“Happens to every guy sometimes this does”
  3. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    @RoundOz says that he's going to transfer title of this hack to me in the near future. I wonder what she will look like in Adrenaline Orange. Hmmmm. Unfortunately, the Captain 'Merica sidecar doesn't come with. Oh well, there's always Mother Russia:

IMG_3919.jpg
  4. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Мммда
    I am very surprised those two have sat so close together in the shed without incident. Somewhat of a Cold War.
  5. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I see I’m going to be brushing up on my Russian.

[​IMG]
  6. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    I call dibs on the sidecar! Please note that I will have a bottle of Pravda in one hand and a bottle of Russian Standard in the other, alternating them while yelling "На здоровье" at the top of my lungs and occasionally cursing at passersby in Russian.
  7. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the case is full of spanners, but it runs.

Lupin 3rd likes this.
  8. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Cool. Did you contract that out or have you been learning all the Russian cuss words yourself? Valve clearances get checked?
  9. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Valve clearances are next. One of them sounds VERY loose, but it runs. I went through the carbs. One of them had a plugged pilot jet. The other had a leaky bowl. I “borrowed” some bits and pieces off of the Pekar K-65s that fit on the K-68s to make it run. After the valve check, the next thing will be electronics. It looks like the alternator isn’t charging the battery for some reason. Wishing you were here to figure that one out. :lol3
  10. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    New battery I assume?
  11. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Yes. Nothing special. I bolted it up with a Tender pigtail and fully charged it. The bike runs, but the alternator light stays on. The wires coming out of the alternator look like they got REALLY hot at some point. I would guess that maybe the rectifier gave out and caused problems. Hard to tell yet, but that’s my guess.
  12. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure the manual is pretty good about checking various parts of the charging system. I wonder if they have an old style regulator, like my 68 Holden had...just a relay that switched between low and high charging...
  13. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I think the light would only come on at low revs, maybe when the headlight was on, but it’s been a few years and I could be remembering one of the other two Cyrillic Cycles I’ve owned.
  14. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Maintenance.

90EDAEDE-4A50-48DD-B136-A3A70BA0E684.jpeg
  15. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    What do you run for an intake on the carbon fiber beast?
  16. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
  17. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Even comparing to a 990 with open Remus and a 75 900SS with open bell mouths and Contis, my 690 with Dominator pipe is the loudest bike I’ve ever ridden. I’m wondering how much of that is actually intake noise from the Rade airbox. I’ve mostly been riding with panniers and duffel, ie full luggage for camping, which I would expect to deaden exhaust sound, but this is the first machine to force me to wear earplugs (yes, should be wearing them anyway I know).
  18. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    My Raid Rally foam filter conversion definitely made the bike louder. When it was stock, the bike sounded like a quiet sewing machine. I added the foam air cleaner mod first before anything else. There was a noticeable difference in sound, but it wasn't terrible. I've heard of other riders who've converted to the Rottweiller system and turned around and sold it because it was too loud. You can mostly notice the intake noise when really hard on throttle. Otherwise, I don't notice it. I also now have tinnitis, so YMMV. :lol3

What really made my Basel overly loud was the LeoVince pipe, which showed up without anything I'd call an "insert." It technically had one, but you could see right through it. I tracked down the actual "quiet" insert for the pipe, which looked more like a test tube with holes in the side. That worked the trick. I've very happy with the sound now.
  19. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    Lupin 3rd likes this.
  20. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    I think your guys' definition of loud may need a revision...a Panigale with an Austin Racing exhaust with no baffles kind of revision... :hair