Ordering a new bike, when to expect delivery?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Colorad0, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A family member is looking at buying a new Yammy WR250R. I called a couple of dealers on his behalf and was told December/Jan by one and another told me March.

What's realistic?

Also what is the annual rego/insurance costs?
  2. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Will depend on what state you are in, age and address of rider and what they want it insured for and how much excess they select. Then add in if you want helmet, riding gear and accessories added to the insurance.
  3. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Is overseas shipping into Aust back to normal levels ?
    When I bought my new V-Strom in March I was lucky they had one of my model and preferred colour sitting in Vic.

I was told by a dealer back in August that shipping of spares and new bikes from Japan was still not back to pre Covid levels.
  4. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Far North QLD. Early 40's, insured for 3rd party and for theft. Not sure on what shape his license is in. He currently does not have his motorcycle endorsement, but will be getting it as soon as he gets the bike, I guess.

IIRC third party is included in the rego in Australia, right?
  5. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't call every dealer in the country, but it's looking like there are no WR250R's on dealer lots. It's something you have to order, and they want a NON-REFUNDABLE $1000 deposit.

Also, I'm being told different things on how long it will take to get the bike in stock.

Hope you're able to get out and enjoy that new bike of yours. Any covid travel restrictions in Perth?
  6. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
  7. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The yammy dealer I called said $9600 out the door. Seems like they're asking near new prices for those used ones. Then add the cost of a round trip to pick up the bike...

New bike warranty would also be nice.
  8. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really. I don't deal with the actual shipping but I'm hearing stories of ships bypassing Yokahama and sailing onto China due to congestion.
  9. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:

We had some early restrictions in the state in March and April.
    Parts of the state were locked off from each other and the whole state was closed to the rest of the country until a week ago.
    But we are a big state, I have managed to put nearly 7,000kms on so far and am off for another ~700km ride tomorrow.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  10. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Ring your insurance company to get a quote, rego varies state by state and as others have said post code by post code. Here in Melbourne rego is 750 ish a year.

Ring a few dealers if you are getting two different stories but I wouldn't muck about buying one as rumour has it that bike is deleted end this year.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, already deleted in the EU.
  12. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    The 2020 at Virginia Team moto would have warranty. Not that they need it often being a WR. Team moto would be able to ship it North to one of their dealers closer to you for a fair price. Start of Covid they stopped shipping bikes in-between dealers but that restriction is gone now.
  13. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Geez. WR250R. The warranty is pointless. You’ll never need it.
    Cuttlefish likes this.
  14. Trekka273

Trekka273 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work in the shipping industry and there are quite significant delays everywhere. Asia in particular is very tough, but there are big capacity shortages from pretty much everywhere and no sign of them easing currently.
    Blakduk likes this.
  15. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for the Tiger 900 I ordered 24 June.
  16. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bugger, did they give you an estimate of when to expect it?
  17. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

I'm all for recommending a lightly used bike if the price is right, but for the prices they are asking, new is looking pretty good. But not if you have to wait for 4-5 months to get a bike.

Anyway, the BIL is now taking a look at the DRZ400 and Honda 450L. Not a good time to be buying right now.
  18. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Lots. But now I’ll believe it when I see it.
  19. Blakduk

Oddometer:
    Im told: a lot of Triumphs landed 7 days ago. Some models like the Tiger 900 were preordered and paid for or have now sold. Unless you’re lucky, you might have to wait now until MAY 2021. One shop has 7 pre-ordered for then. Wow!
    I’m told Ducati has similar issues.
    The problem is that modern bikes get so many components from different places, and many of these places have hold ups. E.g. a widget that might come from a factory in Germany might be used on 40 different bikes, and can’t be made so entire model lines are held up.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  20. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As it turns out, the BIL found a CRF450L new at the Honda dealer for $10,XXX. Seems like a pretty sweet deal in today's world. They still have one left if anyone else is interested. Dealer is in Cairns.
    tomo8r, Cuttlefish and Cruz like this.