Ordering Tires Online

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by akgsa, Mar 20, 2018.

1. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Are any Alaskan Inmates getting anyone to ship tires here online? I got a rear off of amazon...once...and now they won't ship here. Revzilla doesn't ship tires to Alaska, and all of the other places I've tried will not as also.

Where are you guys getting tires from? The last time I asked the parts lady at BMW in Anchorage...the price was double everything I was seeing online. Surely you guys aren't all buying from the motorcycle shop.
  2. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    I ride my bike to Fairbanks and buy my tires from Dan. When Dan doesn't have my tires in stock I order from Jake Wilson and have them sent to Dan.
  3. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, Dan at http://www.advcycleworks.com/ or Jake Wilson. If you're in Anchorage then I'd go see Barb at Alaska Leather. Last order from Wilson was $40 shipping to Fai.
    Tom S likes this.
  4. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I try to avoid Anchorage in the summer if possible, and I love going to see Barb at Alaska Leather...if you can find a parking spot there in the summer! I do get up to fairbanks fairly frequently... I don't mind installing them myself, I even prefer it sometimes (I do have space and tools to do it in my garage), but getting tires shipped to the house is just plain difficult. I'll check out this Jake Wilson, and it sounds like I need to go and visit/meet Dan in Fairbanks the next time I'm up there visiting my brother.
  5. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alaska Leather. :thumb
  6. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We ship tires all over Alaska with USPS. Usually, it's about $10-$15 depending on the tire, and they leave from our shop the same day you call if they're in stock. Otherwise we'll special order one for you and have it to your door within about 3-4 days.

All our prices for tires are MSRP with no additional mark-up. The only retailers that sell them for lower prices than MSRP are online and (surprise!) they don't ship to Alaska or have exorbitant shipping prices if they do. The only reason they have tires priced so low is because they buy them by the thousands, and if they paid shipping to get them to us up here they would lose money on every sale.

Just because you can find a lower price doesn't mean that our prices are out of line, and I highly doubt anyone online is sell tires for half of MSRP. If they are I'd like to know where. We sell all of our parts for exactly what the manufacturers tell us to, and as far as I'm aware, so does every other retailer in Alaska including Barb and Dan. We also price-match any local price for any item. If we could sell them for less we would, but as anyone else up here will tell you, tires are kind of a losing game right out of the gate, even though no one will ship them up here.
    aftCG, Tom S and GSAnderson like this.
  7. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Andrew, I have nothing but good things to say about you, and the entire purchase experience from you. If the rest of the company had the customer service level that I've seen from you....I wouldn't be here posting these questions. Avoiding your service and parts departments is more than about the prices. Let me know when my recall parts show up....from last September.
    aufevermike likes this.
  8. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM. As you can imagine, 15,000 bike recalls are tons of fun logistically. We'll get it sorted out for you.

Andrew
  9. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Responded. I'll be happy to update this post publicly when my recalled parts are located. The fork recall debacle wasn't much fun for new owners either. Especially when calling and trying to get firm dates for these repairs prior to the snow flying which kept non-anchorage people from getting to your shop.
  10. aufevermike

aufevermike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phil,
    You can still fine decent prices even with shipping from E-bay. You just have to keep looking for the specific ones you want. usually buying in pairs helps. Another thing is utilizing Carlisle Express. for a pair is around $35 and you can use the free shipping from the others to Washington. It'll take week from the time it hits Washington to get here via ship.
    akgsa likes this.
  11. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Support our local businesses!
    FL.Flatlander, Gezerbike and Tewster2 like this.
  12. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Sport bike track gear used to ship to AK for a flat $25 per tire, but I don’t think they do anymore. Amazon or eBay occasionally have seller who will ship. Last time I personally checked Jake Wilson it was almost as much for the shipping as it was for the tires, maybe it’s different now?

My last set I had shipped to a family members house and they brought them up as checked luggage when they came to visit last summer.
  13. aufevermike

Oddometer:
    our local is different from your local.
    akgsa likes this.
  14. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    So true

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
  15. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    The visor shop.com

You are welcome. ;)
    marbee40 likes this.
  16. aufevermike

Oddometer:

$274 shipped for a set of Anakee Wilds seems extremely reasonable to me.
    Tewster2 and akgsa like this.
  17. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    I also live far from the urban rat race and can't get tires shipped. But McKinley Polaris in Healy orders tires for me. They are a Tucker Rocky and WPS dealer and charge reasonable prices. Other local snowmachine/atv shops may have the same program and would be willing to place an order for you. I prefer it to struggling with online retailers and their shipping limitations.

Piston
    Tewster2 and akgsa like this.
  18. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    Agree with Tom, support local businesses. I live in a small town and know a few business owners, and they aren't getting rich off one sale or a hundred sales, they are simply making as living.
    Tom S likes this.
  19. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Ok....here's my address, tell me where to buy motorcycle tires with 25 road miles of my house. 37755 state park road, soldotna, AK 99669. I'll go there and get quotes for you guys....or tell you why I don't support their business (usually because they sell drugs to kids or are known for ripping off people and other scrupulous business practices.). Go ahead....show me where to buy a set of tires locally.

AKmud likes this.
  20. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Anchorage is not local. It's a 3 hour drive away.