Ordering Tires Online

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by akgsa, Mar 20, 2018.

1. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I love how lesser 49ers come in here telling rural Alaskans where to shop...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Tom S likes this.
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I did say 'our' local businesses. Anchorage. :hide
    Sounds like you guys down in Kenai/Soldotna are basicly screwed for lack of good local MC shops. :waysad
    akgsa likes this.
  3. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    My dealer here in the Chicago area has to buy all his tires from either Tucker Rocky or Parts Unlimited. I can go online and buy my tires cheaper than he can. Same with helmets, gloves, jacket and boots, ect. Buy online and the middleman ( dealer ) is cut out and prices drop. I just bought, in Jnauary, a set of Avon Trail Riders for my GS from Jake Wilson for $ 239....delivered. My dealer can't even get close to them for that cost. As for mileage, I live 60 miles west of Chicago and it can easily take me 2 hours to get there. Your 3 hour ride at least includes some great scenery. :D
    akgsa likes this.
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local Triumph dealer when I lived in Missouri was 125 miles away and the next closest was 150 miles away. I guess that why they call it Fort Lost in the Woods!!!
    Bigbob1 and akgsa like this.
  5. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    There are certainly places down there that are rural or remote like here. I guess as Alaskans.... People who've never lived here commenting on how things should be or what we should do...rubs me the wrong way. Come live at the end of funny river road for a couple winters and then weigh in your opinion... I'm less remote than many. I did choose to live here, mostly because I don't like it down there.

6. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize this was a private forum for resident Alaskans. Just trying to shed a little light into the cost of tires and the fact that dealers would all go broke if that is all they sold. But, you know, when I traveled Alaska in 2011, I expected to pay $ 5.00 a gallon for fuel in Cantwell, and $ 15.00 for burger in Chickaloon, $ 5.00 for a cinnamon roll, and $23.00 for halibut on the Spit in Homer and $25.00 for a Red Snapper dinner at Thorne's in Seward. I expected everything to cost more in the middle of nowhere. Why would tires be any different ? As Tom said, you guys more than anyone need to support your local businesses.
  7. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Ok Geezer, glad we could all be on display here for your Alaskan knowledge...

8. 55Chevy

55Chevy Tuk in 2018

Oddometer:
    Wow, this thread certainly turned dramatic and sour. I simply agreed with Tom to buy local, where ever local is V/S shipping goods bought elsewhere up there to save some coin and to support the local economy. I know us guys down here in the LOWLY 48 as it has been refered to, that travel 2 to 3 hours for certain brand dealerships. As big as AK is (I'm no expert) a 3 hour trip doesn't sound unreasonable as compared to other places I've ridden to or through, say Labrador or even Newfoundland, try finding parts and the specific tire you want up there, other end of the province more than likely. I'm hoping to meet some friendly locals along the way when I return this July and was really hoping some would be from the ADVRIDER forum, ha ha.
  9. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Some of the Alaskans up here are friendly. Some of them are on here also. Certainly the ones interested in your tourist money will be. Most Alaskans don't care for people giving unsolicited advice they have no qualification or experience to give. That doesn't fit everyone in this thread by any means...but a lot of "lesser 49" (that's the term used here, often the nicer term of "outsiders" is used) tourists like to weigh in their opinions about how we live while they're here. They're generally not well liked. Refrain from that, and you'll get along with the locals just fine. Alaska likes motorcycle people and adventure riders. RV tourists...not as much.
  10. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I was under the impression this was a regional forum.... visitors welcome, certainly. I don't pop into the NY regional forums and give advice I know nothing about.
  11. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Pure hubris for anyone to presume to speak for Alaskans.
    akgsa likes this.
  12. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    There y'go, dang it! :dirtdog Now I gotta dig out my dictionary to find out what you said. :confused
    marbee40 and Bigbob1 like this.
  13. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  14. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    It’s between your shoulder and elbow, Jack.
  15. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    What? My dictionary? How'd it get there? Yer puttin' me on, aren't you!
    marbee40 likes this.
  16. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    You speak highly of your neighbors and fellow Alaskans. One of the things I wanted to see besides scenery when I was there was just how Alaskans lived, faced with such adverse living conditions based on weather and just the remoteness of where they lived. All I met seemed resourceful and resilient in managing their lives under these conditions. I guess that is why I have not read from others about the difficulty in getting tires in Alaska. They've figured it out. Back to resourcefulness, my favorite was the Fire Alarms located throughout the King's Mountain Resort in Chickaloon. Simply brilliant.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  17. TheSeeker

TheSeeker Slingin' Steel

Oddometer:
    Hey Alaskans! And non. It's been a couple years since I ventured onto these pages... and lo and behold I find this spirited discussion.

Quick poke to support us dealers in the state... We pay a substantial premium to get pallets of Heidenau, Continental, Michellin and Metzeler tires brought up overland every spring. We keep our tires fresh by storing them always in a heat controlled shop, not in a connex buried in snow half the year and cooking the other half. We utilize factory-trained technicians to install said tires, should you need the assistance.

We charge fair prices for tires, yet probably will get matched or beat by any "shade tree" or independent provider working out of their home. We also provide warranty and service work for today's modern GS's, Harley's, Honda's (when we can, we help with basic services on Triumph, Ducati, KTM, Kawasaki, et al who are traveling through. That being said when we are full-tilt, we often have to focus on our brands: BMW, HD, Honda...)

When the Armstrong boys lock up their tires and tools for the winter, the team is still here at Outpost Alaska - Trail's End BMW, heating our store and providing a warm and bright atmosphere to come have a cup of coffee and drool on our bikes even when it is -40F. Or to get that hard to find airhead part, try on some gear in the middle of winter, or buy that perfect bike in December when the prices are perfect.

Please consider this when choosing where to spend your hard-earned motorcycle, accessories and parts dollars. I can most certainly guarantee we are not getting rich. But we are here doing our best to be here when you DO NEED US.

Happy Trails...
    JagLite, marbee40, Dogslobber and 6 others like this.
  18. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    You just made a sale. See you in late June.
    JagLite, Gezerbike and TheSeeker like this.
  19. akgsa

akgsa '16 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I do consider the "local/only" dealers, first. I ended up buying from Andrew in Anchorage. We talked offline, and he made me a fair deal. I could have bought them cheaper online, but didn't. Locally (within 50 road miles)...there is a Honda dealership and a Yamaha dealership, and two other "potential" sources. Yamaha stopped stocking and selling motorcycles. Their price on tires and accessories is MSRP + shipping. Since they don't stock the parts, I'm not inclined to pay MSRP. I don't mind paying MSRP for parts and accessories, when they are available and in-stock. When a dealer says to me, "I can order it"...and the price is still MSRP, and now they expect me to pay the shipping... that's when they lose my sale. I can order it online also. I've sold parts before, I've owned and ran a service department before, I know the costs and the headaches. In my industry, mechanics required licenses and there was a lot of federal oversight. Margins were thin, and stakes high. Manufacturers forced large inventory requirements that cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars, and realistically were not aimed at supporting customers but rather emptying their own shelves of difficult to sell parts. We still managed to turned a profit and kept customers by being transparent in our markup and costs, and honest in all dealings.

Another two potential dealerships here (names purposefully excluded) have a bit of a sordid history down here. Known chop shops and drug dealers, a criminal element I refuse to support. I'll leave further details offline.

I asked the question in this forum, because I cared about what other Alaskans are doing. Not what outsiders think we should do. I think it's great that you're so excited to see Alaska, and I'm very happy that you are excited to travel here and spend money at our dealerships. I hope you all will do exactly that, and this isn't all just lip service about what you think WE should do.

I haven't made it to Trails end in Fairbanks yet (it is a spectacular 12 hour ride away, past LOTS of RV's), but I'm sure I will this year. I go out of my way to support Alaskan businesses that operate year round. I bought my bike, and 90% of the accessories from Andrew at The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage. I paid a LOT more than I would, had I bought it from outside. At the same time, a dealer in Idaho was offering the same bike at a significantly cheaper price. I had the means of traveling, but I chose Anchorage, mostly because of the interactions with Andrew. He was honest, and I had the impression at the time that the dealership would support me as a long term customer. That impression isn't completely gone, but Andrew has by far been the best experience there. My family has purchased 3 motorcycles from them, and a lot of triumph parts. But it isn't my local dealership, and it isn't quick for me to get parts and accessories from there. I don't like traveling to Anchorage. It takes time and costs me money, and lately it's been pretty dangerous.

So basically... to our 2 BMW dealers here, thanks for being here...and I will continue to purchase from you both, when I can. To the gawkers, I have run out of kind ways to express my thoughts to you about your opinions of how we do things in Alaska.
    JagLite, Solarmoose, Bigbob1 and 2 others like this.
  20. AKDreadnaught

AKDreadnaught Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a batch of four Anakee Wilds from The Visor Shop. Delivered TO MY DOOR in days, they were about half the nearest price I could get anywhere else. I support my local shops, to a point. I read the above plea for local loyalty, but the gap is huge, too huge. I was shocked at how reasonable The Visor Shop is.