1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route #3, and then some…

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Humunn, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    The Plan:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Leaving Friday morning on a 3 day 445 mile off road trip throughout the Central Oregon high desert and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Cascade Mountains</st1:place> on the OBDR route #3.<o:p></o:p>
    The Itinerary:<o:p></o:p>
    Day 1 – Four Corners to Diamond Lake Resort via <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place> and Hole in the Ground, 165 miles (black route on map).<o:p></o:p>
    Day 2 – <st1:placeName w:st="on">Diamond</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType> to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bend</st1:place></st1:City> via OBDR route #3, 125 miles (yellow route on map).<o:p></o:p>
    Day 3 – Bend to Prineville via OBDR route #3 and the super secret backcountry expressway, 155 miles (red route on map).<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    The <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Mission</st1:place></st1:City>:<o:p></o:p>
    See and ride some of the most beautiful country in the world.<o:p></o:p>
    Meet new riding friends.<o:p></o:p>
    Eat like Vikings.<o:p></o:p>
    Survive to tell partial truths about it!<o:p></o:p>
    The Crew:<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Jim and James from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Portland</st1:place></st1:City> – father/son combo. I’ve ridden with them before. Great riders and great company!<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Dave</st1:personName> and <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName> from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Portland</st1:place></st1:City> – friends of Jim, at least until the trip is over!<o:p></o:p>
    Ray from <st1:City w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:City> – The first trip Ray went on with me was several years ago on route #3 of the OBDR from Santiam to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Dorris</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">CA</st1:State></st1:place>. He was new to riding and only had his moto a couple weeks at that point. I quote him frequently when describing his experience to others, “this is the best vacation I’ve ever been on, but don’t tell my wife.” <o:p></o:p>
    Paul from Prineville – Paul’s heard me talk about these trips for over a year now and I think he just can’t stand it any longer and has to experience one for himself!<o:p></o:p>
    Bob from <st1:City w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:City> – aka “<st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Montana</st1:place></st1:State> Bob”. Bob’s been on several rides and just recently moved up in the moto food chain from his trus<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> KLR to the big dog Adventurer 990. But since size does matter he’ll be piloting the F-350 crew cab and trailer chase rig this trip. Anyone looking for a nice, farkled up 07 KLR?<o:p></o:p>
    Michael from <st1:City w:st="on">Nampa</st1:City> – He’ll be making the trip here with his KTM 620 combining a business trip to <st1:City w:st="on">Bend</st1:City> with a <st1:place w:st="on">Central Oregon</st1:place> ride. I think that is called a “Ride off”?<o:p></o:p>
    <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName> from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City> – <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName>’s been my most consistent riding partner over the years. We “cut our teeth” together on the OBDR many years ago. <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName> will be running in the sweep position on this trip.<o:p></o:p>
    And me, Greg from the ‘Ville, a recovering “wet-sider”, and admittedly addicted to off-road motorcycling.<o:p></o:p>
    LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN!<o:p></o:p>
  2. rrcollings

rrcollings BigAir

Oddometer:
    I've been on enough of these to know better. Add a 10% factor to the mileage... It's always great fun and the scienary is alway fantastic! Hopefully we'll be riding by the spot where I slide of the road and into a little stream/mud hole. The consequence of not enough riding time back then. :clap

CU on Thursday.
    Ray
  3. Jaynen

Jaynen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice i am looking forward to planning some trips in Oregon in the future. I grew up there and would like to spend some time seeing those mountains again.
  4. Mad Kaw Disease

Mad Kaw Disease Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer:
    After 2275 miles this week in the saddle of the new Adventure 990, an air conditioned truck sounds okay for a weekend.

Hey, your truck is air conditioned isn't it?
  5. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    :lurk

i want to route a trip from L.A. to seattle as much off road as possible!

any info will be very useful!

i look forward to more reports!:ricky
  6. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    We've had some welcomed but unusually wet weather the last couple of days to keep the dust down. Looks like that might hold out until Friday!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=middle><TD width="11%">Friday

[​IMG]
    Mostly
    Sunny
    Hi 76°F</TD><TD width="11%">Friday
    Night

[​IMG]
    Mostly
    Clear
    Lo 47°F</TD><TD width="11%">Saturday

[​IMG]
    Sunny

Hi 86°F</TD><TD width="11%">Saturday
    Night

[​IMG]
    Mostly
    Clear
    Lo 54°F</TD><TD width="11%">Sunday

[​IMG]
    Sunny

Hi 88°F</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  7. gunnr

gunnr optimsm

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice route. I like the sound of that "Super secret backcountry Expressway" Have a nice ride. :thumb
  8. RMac

RMac Cheese!

Oddometer:
  9. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:
    Okay, ride's over!! Let's quit polishing that new Versys long enough to get a report going here!!!!:lurk
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    On my list for the weekend. Have some great pics - especially the water crossings!!!
  11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    A long standing tradition has been for the group to gather the night before for dinner and a chance to meet everyone else in the group. We used to do this at an old cowboy bar in town but my wife has almost convinced me that that may not be the best first impression. I’m still not sure yet…<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Here’s the cast of characters.<o:p></o:p>
    Running sweep from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City> is <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName>. I’ve known and ridden with <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName> for a long time. We cut our teeth together on the OBDR years ago.<o:p></o:p>
    Left to right is Jim, his son James, and a friend of theirs, <st1:personName w:st="on">Dave</st1:personName> all from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Portland</st1:place></st1:City>. Jim and James have ridden with us in the past and somehow they sucked <st1:personName w:st="on">Dave</st1:personName> into coming along. Hoping they are still friends afterwards!<o:p></o:p>
    This is Paul from Prineville. He’s a neighbor of mine and has been curious about these motorcycle tours for awhile. Somehow the planets were aligned and he was able to schedule this one. <o:p></o:p>
    Here’s Montana Bob from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:place></st1:City>. Bob and I used to be office mates before I couldn’t stand the rain any longer and moved to the dry side. He rode motos back in the day and finally gave in a few years ago and bought a KLR 650. Bob is an information junkie (if you want to know anything about anything just go to www.justaskbob.com) and his research got the best of him. A month or so ago he had a weak moment at the KTM dealership and took the plunge on a sparkling 990 Adventurer. MB will run the chase truck on this trip.<o:p></o:p>
    This is Michael from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nampa</st1:place></st1:City>. He made the trip to coincide with business in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bend</st1:place></st1:City>. We are calling this a “ride off”.<o:p></o:p>
    Two other guys were scheduled to go but had to bail at the last minute: Ray from <st1:City w:st="on">Vancouver</st1:City> (death in the family) and <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName> from <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Portland</st1:place></st1:City> (ill).<o:p></o:p>
    Up next, Day ONE…<o:p></o:p>
  12. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    OB Disco, yeah !

:lurk :lurk :lurk
  13. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Like most middle aged guys our mornings have a certain “routine”. One of them is coffee and that’s all I need to talk about here, but since MB was staying at my house and I was making the coffee I couldn’t resist serving “it” to the KTM/Kawi conflicted Bob in early a.m. smack talk fashion.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    This deserves special recognition. This is Michael from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nampa</st1:place></st1:City> and his 1998 KTM 620. Yes, this is a 1998 but it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Complete without a skid plate. More on that later.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Group shot at <st1:place w:st="on">Four Corners</st1:place>. Ready to roll!<o:p></o:p>
    Riding south along the power lines.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s Paul. He hasn’t ridden in the dirt for 15 years and is getting used to the 37” seat height with a 28” inseam.<o:p></o:p>
    Going left…<o:p></o:p>
    Going right…<o:p></o:p>
    Going down!<o:p></o:p>
    A few random shots as we ride through Millican.<o:p></o:p>
    Stop and take a look around at this old ruin of a home. We all wonder what it would have been like to live out here…and why anyone would so long ago. If the walls could talk.<o:p></o:p>
    Crossing under Highway 20 heading south.<o:p></o:p>
    From here we ride into and through East Fort Rock. Lots of fun, tight single track and enough moisture in the ground to keep the dust to a tolerable level. Only a mile or so into EFR I get a radio blip from <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName>. Something’s wrong with Michael’s beautiful 620. I can’t make out the communication so I ride back a couple miles to find out Michael had struck his clutch cover on a large lava rock and completely destroyed it. All his oil was gone and you could see the clutch. No amount of JB Weld will fix that. We chatted about options and decided he would push his bike out ¼ mile to the main road. When we go into cell coverage we would call Bob and have him return with the chase rig to recover Michael and his bike. BUMMER! More on that later…<o:p></o:p>
    Lunch stop is at the Waterin Hole in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place>. They make a mean gut bomb lunch. Perfect after expending a bunch of calories in EFR! This is where we are able to make contact with Bob again. He wolfs down his lunch and we send him packing with a lunch for Michael. Later in the day we find out that Michael didn’t wait at the main dirt road but kept pushing his bike a total of 7 (SEVEN) miles before Bob arrived. Yowza! He spent the rest of the day trying to find a replacement part or even a bike to rent but came up short on both occasions before deciding to pack her up and head home. I spoke with him after the trip and he scoured KTM dealers all over the country looking for a replacement clutch cover only to find out that the part is discontinued…WHAT? Turns out he was able to find one oversees and have it shipped, along with a skid plate!<o:p></o:p>
    Group shot next to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place> on our way to Hole in the Ground.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s Hole in the Ground. It is the same geological feature as <st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName> except a gazillion years ago the water washed away the soil surrounding <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Fort</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rock</st1:placeName></st1:place>. The two are not more than a few miles apart.<o:p></o:p>
    We ride down into Hole in the Ground.<o:p></o:p>
    This is an alternative way out. It is steep with poor traction. This time of the year the soil is moon dust and probably a foot deep.<o:p></o:p>
    Jim tries it anyway. What an animal!<o:p></o:p>
    From Hole in the Ground we head west toward Crescent where we make a pit stop for fuel and something to drink.<o:p></o:p>
    Continuing west through some fun logging roads.<o:p></o:p>
    Until we connect with <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Windigo</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Pass</st1:placeType></st1:place> road.<o:p></o:p>
    And drop into Diamond Lake Resort.<o:p></o:p>
    Nice ride…164 miles for the day!<o:p></o:p>
    Showers, drinks and dinner. ALL is good!<o:p></o:p>
    Next up, Day TWO…<o:p></o:p>
  14. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
  15. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:
    Drinking coffee out of a Yamaha cup is no big deal...I might own a Yamaha someday...maybe...I
  16. Mad Kaw Disease

Oddometer:
    Drinking coffee out of a Yamaha cup is no big deal...I might own a Yamaha someday...maybe...I almost bought an FJR once...then the meds wore off.
  17. Drewski

Drewski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the start to another great OBC ride report.:lurk Sorry for your loss Ray.
  18. gunnr

gunnr optimsm

Oddometer:
    Good Stuff......:thumb
  19. Repent

Repent Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    A beautiful morning at the Diamond Lake Resort and after 175 miles yesterday, today should be fairly leisurely.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Don’t be fooled by <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName>…there are FOUR shots in that coffee!<o:p></o:p>
    Looks like MB could use one of those.<o:p></o:p>
    Fabulous breakfast as always.<o:p></o:p>
    And a little pre ride seat modification to ward off further monkey butt.<o:p></o:p>
    On the trail.<o:p></o:p>
    Since we had extra time (and needed to burn some breakfast calories before lunch) I found a fun logging road loop that had not been traveled much.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s the entrance to it. No other pictures as we were having fun dodging rain ruts and downed trees while chasing each other. I jammed on my brakes about ¼ of the way into it as momma and baby black bear cross my path. You don’t see that often!<o:p></o:p>
    On our way to Crescent Junction there’s a trail on the east side of the train tracks that always has some sort of water feature fed by a small spring or run off from the lake. The water looks pret<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> good after riding in dry dus<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> conditions, but maybe too good to some.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s Jim going around the water hole but if you look closely through his goggles you can see him eyeballing the inviting pool.<o:p></o:p>
    It’s too much for him and he turns the 300 around. Got to get some of that.<o:p></o:p>
    Enjoy the sequence to follow:<o:p></o:p>
    Long story short the bike bogged down in the muck. Jim tried kick starting it a few times to insure the intake, carb, and chamber were fully loaded with water. But, on the bright side, this gave us the opportuni<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> to test out our trail side mechanical skills.<o:p></o:p>
    Or to take a nap…<o:p></o:p>
    After drying out the air box and filter, dumping the fuel/water mix in the bowl, and changing the plug and 732 kicks she fires, sputters, and then runs like a champ.<o:p></o:p>
    A couple more trail shots in the area avoiding a boggy log jam.<o:p></o:p>
    And off to Odell Lake Lodge for lunch and a piece of home made pie!<o:p></o:p>
    Beautiful place!<o:p></o:p>
    After lunch we are back on the trail where <st1:personName w:st="on">Mike</st1:personName> decides to get a flat. <o:p></o:p>
    Side note: generally we never get flats, maybe one every three or four rides…except for the last trip where we had so many I lost count – 7 or 8?<o:p></o:p>
    One thing I am always trying to do is improve my trail tool kit and Jim had these super cool aluminum Motion Pro combination tire spoon and axle wrenches. They are about $30 each but they are super light and two of them replace two heavy tire irons and one heavy axle wrench. A new set is now in my tool kit!<o:p></o:p>
    Off we go. Next stop is the edge of a massive lava flow, the Black Rock Lava field.<o:p></o:p>
    Then around the corner to the top of the cinder cone where I imagine the lava all flowed from back in the day. What a sight!<o:p></o:p>
    From the cinder cone we cruise on past Wickiup Reservoir.<o:p></o:p>
    Here’s the dam that creates Wickiup. Flowing from the dam is the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Deschutes</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
    We roll along on more service roads and power line two track to the Entrada Inn which is east of <st1:City w:st="on">Bend</st1:City> on Century Drive – the road that heads to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Mt.</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Bachelor</st1:placeName></st1:place>. We are all dir<st1:personName w:st="on">ty</st1:personName> and tired. This picture of Paul (I have to say) is somewhat staged. I told him to give me his best “I am completely beat” look. Took a couple tries but here it is:<o:p></o:p>
    And Jim with the Fred Flintstone beard.<o:p></o:p>
    We all got cleaned up and had a great dinner al fresco at the new <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Cascade</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lakes</st1:placeType></st1:place> brew pub which was only a couple miles away.<o:p></o:p>
    Next up, Day THREE.<o:p></o:p>