1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route - Crown Jewels

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Humunn, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Leaving Wednesday am for 5 days, 850 miles of some of the most beautiful scenery and awesome riding. Nothing like the high desert and Cascade Mountains in September! Eleven riders and one truck. Will post the story and pics upon our return. Stay posted...

[​IMG]
  2. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. jcadcars

jcadcars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't wait until Wednesday morning to get going. My old school bike is ready. Should be a great ride. Bike is already in Sisters as of today. I can't leave Bellingham until Tuesday around 12:00. Work stuff. I hope to arrive in the area Tuesday evening. I hope not too late.

Here is my ride. Old but reliable.

[​IMG]
  4. jcadcars

Oddometer:
    My riding buddy and I plan on camping for maybe two nights after this ride so I have put on a wolfman mini-beta bag for that. Works great. See pic above.
  5. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    John your bike looks like it is ready roll! From Bellingham to Prineville must be 8 hours. Call me when you're getting close. We are meeting at the Horseshoe tavern and it would be great for you and Joe to make that. One way or another I'll see you tomorrow night.

Greg
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe journey and take lots of pics :thumb

7. jmetteer

jmetteer Filler...

Oddometer:

Later,
  8. papaduc

papaduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OPEN--OPEN--OPEN--OPEN :clap
  9. jcadcars

Oddometer:
    Joe is in the area already (camp sherman) I will hopefully leave bellingham before noon and make as best time as I can. Please email me your phone #. See you tomorrow night.

John
  10. eombbear

eombbear RIMslayer

Oddometer:
  11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Introducing the cast from left to right: Mark from Bend sometimes on an XR650, Greg (me) from the Ville on a WR450, John from Bellingham on an XR600, Joe also from B-ham on a brand spankin 3 week new TE 610, James from the SFO area on a KTM 520, Eddie from PDX on a DR 650 with a Corbin recliner for a seat, Doug from the Bay area on a KDX 220, and the Voss boys from the PDX area (Butch, Andy, Pat, and Roger) on a nice collection of Honda 250/450s and a KTM EXC. Not pictured is Ed, also from the Bay area, that was to experience the OBDR from the comfort of an F250. Notice how clean everyone is. This will change rapidly. Did I mention it was dusty yet?
    [​IMG]
  12. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Once we got the crew moving, we were moving. We headed south out of town for a few mile of pavement then connected up with a fun power line trail. Mark and Roger showing us how a high speed hill climb is done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only a couple hundred more miles to go for the day.

We motored on through some whooped out 2 track and up and over Pine Mountain. Here are a couple nice shots on a hairpin turn on the south side of Pine Mountain looking E-SE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to follow...
  13. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
  14. gunnr

gunnr optimsm

Oddometer:
    more please....:lurk
  15. kthpick

kthpick super mario

Oddometer:
    I love these pacific northwest rides.:lurk
  16. Mr.Moose

Mr.Moose Living the Adventure

Oddometer:
    Our State ROCKS!!!:freaky
  17. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    After dropping down off the top of Pine Mountain we entered some true and fun curvey and twisty single track in East Fort Rock. It was hot and dusty but lots of fun. So much fun I didn't take many pics. Here's one from a break.
    [​IMG]

After departing EFR we headed toward Big Hole. If you haven't seen Big Hole it is something. Created by a meteor a gazillion years ago it is, well, a great big hole in the ground. But we changed plans. Too many miles to cover yet in the day we decided to head straight for Fort Rock where we made the Waterin Hole's quota for the month with just our lunch.

Refueled then zig zagged our way to Christmas Valley where we topped off again and headed up into the Black Hills. Here's some shots on top before we head down into the Summer Lake valley via Juniper Canyon. James on the left and Doug on the right. Both of these guys drove up from the Bay area together but didn't know each other before the ride.
    [​IMG]

This is Butch, the patriarch of the Voss boys. He had many great stories of off road motor related incidents. His sons had stories too. We were practicing taking pictures of one another.
    [​IMG]

John is from Bellingham and made the trek to Central Oregon with Joe. John unfortunately had several setbacks on the tour but kept a great attitude the whole way. More on that later.
    [​IMG]

The Voss boys. These guys could ride like the wind.
    [​IMG]

After Juniper Canyon we regrouped at Hwy 30. Some guys had enough and headed to the Summer Lake Inn, and on to Paisley for dinner, while others decided to hit the Fremont Forest for a back country run to Paisley. Unfortunately our method of stop and wait at intersections had not been fully "shaken down" and the chain was broken. After a series of hide and seek in the dark we eventually all regrouped at the Inn. 250 miles for day one! That was an EPIC ride.

Up next...Day 2.
  18. 911racer

911racer dare to explore

Oddometer:
    WOW, dude looks like fun!

19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful morning! Nothing like a late summer sunrise on the high desert.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Mark, sometimes from Sunriver sometimes from Portland. He's proudly displaying his tattered backpack which he had strapped to the back of his Baja-d XR 650. This is when he discovered that the nylon fabric from a hiker's backpack is sensitive to exhaust heat...very sensitive. Notice the hefty bag "trail repair".
    [​IMG]

First stop out of Summer Lake was Paisley for breakfast but before we could all get there we needed to test the integrity of the group again by experiencing a broken chain. Thankfully, Ed, driving the truck, had a spare chain, and the Voss boys, with Baja pro truck pit experience jumped right in to fix Mark's chain. Nice save.

Did I mention the dust? Well, somewhere in the backcountry between Paisley and K-falls we came across this little stream that washed down the bikes and cooled us down, particularly me who got too close while attempting to get the perfect picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And later we found a play area just off the route.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In a scouting run I discovered this fun section of powerline. There was a natural stopping point about 3 miles up the trail so I trailed behind for this picture. Notice the plumes in the distance.
    [​IMG]

Found out later that we shouldn't have stopped as we couldn't get John's XR 600 to restart. Out comes the tow rope and thanks to Eddie on the DR 650 we were able to limp John into Bonanza which was only a few miles away. Long story short, John rents a Uhaul and trucks his bike back to the Bend area where he amazingly stumbles across a bike shop (Power Trip in Redmond) that the owner just happens to have the exact same year and bike as John's and just replaced the stator (which we found out was the failed part). The fellow stripped the stator off his bike plus a lot of other goodies (replaced a broken clutch perch) and John was off an running again. He would meet back up with the group a couple days later where his mechanical adventure would continue...but more on that later.

The two delays during the day caused us to burn some time so we blasted through K-falls and made a direct run to Howard Prairie Reservoir. We were greeted by a homeless and hungry family. Here's one of the members.
    [​IMG]

Next up, Day 3 - Howard Prairie to Diamond Lake.
  20. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:

:thumb