Oregon Coast Advice Needed

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by BigDave, Jul 26, 2005.

1. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    We are considering moving to Oregon. Mostly because of my wife's health. She wants less pollution and ozone problems, less extreme temps and more humidity. Those factors along with sea level are conditions that will help her quality of life.

We are with Kaiser Permanente and there is plenty of Kaiser offices in Salem and Portland. Our search for an area will have to be less tha 2 hours from one or the other city.

We traveled through there 2 years ago & loved the newport area as well as others. Cost will be the other factor as we have to watch that as we will not be able to afford a place where everything is high. Under $200,000 will be what we will be looking for.

Please give me any tips on where to look, where not to look etc... On the coast is nice but we will consider communities within an hour of the coast if the climate is mild.

thanks!!
    :ear
  2. Tiras

Tiras Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey BigDave! :wave I don't know how much help I can be as I'm in Southern Oregon and not super familiar with the Northern Oregon Coast. But I'll try anyway... If you're looking at coastal towns in Northern Oregon that are within 2 hours from Salem or Portland I'd say - Newport, Lincoln City, Tillamook, Seaside or Astoria. And non coastal towns could be Eugene, Corvallis or even Vancouver Washington. I have family in the Portland/Vancouver area so I go up there a few times a year and I love it. And pretty much anywhere on the Oregon coast is beautiful and worth looking into. I don't have any info on housing costs up in that area so I can't help you there, but I'm sure there are a few guys here that can. Sorry I couldn't be of more help... Good luck on your search!
  3. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    The North Coast is my other home, lot's of nice areas around Astoria and the prices aren't that bad compaired to other coastal areas. Astoria is not right on the coast but only about 6 miles up the Columbia River. it's about 2 hours from PDX and an hour from Longview Wa. which I believe has a Kasier.
    If you like the area also check out across the river in Washington. Ilwaco, Seaview and Longbeach are pretty cool little towns
  4. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    Lookin to put a wee bit more clouds in your diet, are ya?
  5. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    so far, that is the only down side. :nod
  6. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clouds are not a problem..............................................................................................

It's the shit that falls out of them that suck :evil
  7. raindog

raindog dharma bum

Oddometer:
    Big D

I am in Yachats 20 minutes south of Newport. do you need to work if so what kind of work ? The weather isn't newarly that bad with global warming and such :D property prices are skyrocketing right now and have been this last year..The city folk have finally found us..so now is a either a tough time or a good time to buy depending on your finances. I've been here for 5 years...pm me and we can talk or hell just come on down :D
  8. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    so being an IT guy can you pretty much work from anywhere? What about Eugene,OR its a hippy/college town and pretty cool in my opinion.

Hood river is also cool but I think the prices are getting high on the gorge. My mom is selling 200K for 20acres with a newer mobil in Troutdale,WA across the river from Hoodriver.

We live in Westport,WA on the coast we bought a decent 1980's 1500sq ft house in October for under 100k about a half mile from the beach, an hour west of Olympia, WA, houses are still cheap, lots of surfing and you can ride on the beach, its a highway up here, I don't know how close a Kieser would be...I think the closest one is Longview almost exactly 2 hours away. Longview is a hole, if you are at all considering it, I grew up there.

I agree the Oregon Coast is great. You probably alread know but Oregon does not have sales tax which is cool but they have state income tax, where as Washington has sales tax but no income tax.

Happy to answer any questions.
  9. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    State income tax is now deductable from your Federal income tax.
  10. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're lookin' at coastal temperate Oregon, you might as well put the Olympic Penninsula of Washington on your short list, too. Sequim, Port Angeles, Quilcene. Lots of nice places and nice ridin', nice views....all with access to a a large metro area if you need those services from time to time.
  11. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure than Longview has the only Kaiser Hospital in WA. (MommaRR uses it...she's near Astoria.)
  12. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I live about 400 miles due north, and I can tell you I could easily live in Eugene. Mainly because I'm a nut bar for well made India Pale Ale, and I have found that Eugene is ground central for cottage brew pubs, in a state that takes this task very seriously...
    And I'm pretty sure I did Eugene to Portland in 2 hours, 2 weeks ago during an iron butt challenge coming ghome from Moto GP.
    It should be noted however that the best bike riding area in Oregon is in the north east.
    Ciao, Steve G.
    Vancouver, B.C.
  13. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree Eugene is Great...Oregon is too, have you ever brought a mason jar to McMinnamins? You can get beer to go...the Terminator Stout and the Ruby Red Ale are quite tasty...Have you been to Westbrother's in Eugene? they make an honey orange ale that really works for me...and then their is the wild or wood duck? also great extensive beer selection, and how about Rita's burito's? or Yum in the basement of the 5th street market? or Meccalas sp? ...their is a reason I am called Fat Toney...back to point, if I really had one...I agree Eugene is almost 2 hours exactly from Portand. Salem to Eugene maybe 1 1/2 hours or a little less.